Midline diastema has been a popular aesthetic problem for children. Several treatment options are available, however, the use of elastic bands without other appliances for closing the diastema still remains a pressing issue in Vietnam, which could be done by the patient’s parents either themselves or under the dental practitioners’ suggestion.
Objective: To report a specific case about the extensive extrusion regarding upper central incisors in a pediatric patient due to misusing the elastic band, in which management was complex due to an unfavorable situation for splinting.
Case Report: Single rubber band usage for orthodontic movement in closing diastema has been an unresolved disaster in Vietnam, leading to the need for early diagnosis and immediate intervention when facing the complications.
Conclusion: Significant information dissemination is paramount for long-term improvement in the oral health of pediatric patients in Vietnam and around the world. Key words: bite-raising technique, diastema, palatal expansion technique, rubber band, tooth
- Abu-Hussein M, Watted N. Maxillary midline diastema–Aetiology and orthodontic treatment- Clinical review. IOSR J Dent Med Sci. 2016; 15(6):116-30.
- Abrahams R, Kamath G. Midline diastema and its aetiology–A review. Dent Update. 2014; 41(5):457- 64.
- Ghimire N, Nepal P. Occurrence of midline diastema among children of different age, sex and race. Open Sci Repository Dent. 2013:e23050409.
- Al-Rubayee M. Median Diastema in a college students sample in the Baghdad city. Med J Babylon. 2013; 10(2):400-6.
- Gupta R, Shrivastava T, Kallury A, Chaukse A, Ali SA, Sthapak A. Midline diastema closure through combined orthodontic and surgical approach: A case report. J Appl Dent Med Sci. 2018; 4(1):107-10.
- Ngoc VTN, Tran DK, Dung TM, Anh NV, Nga VT, Anh LQ, Hanh NTT, Phuong LN, Quynh HN, Chu DT. Perceptions of dentists and non-professionals on some dental factors affecting smile aesthetics: A study from Vietnam. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17(5):1638.
- Schmitt E, Gillenwater JY, Kelly TE. An autosomal dominant syndrome of radial hypoplasia, triphalangeal thumbs, hypospadias, and maxillary diastema. Am J Med Genet. 1982; 13(1):63-9.
- Finkbeiner RL, Nelson LS, Killebrew J. Accidental orthodontic elastic band-induced periodontitis: Orthodontic and laser treatment. J Am Dent Assoc. 1997; 128(11):1565-9.
- Moghaddas H, Pezeshkfar A. Severe gingival recession caused by orthodontic rubber band: A case report. J Adv Periodontol Implant Dent. 2010; 2(2):83-7.
- Redlich M, Galun EA, Zilberman Y. Orthodontic-prosthetic treatment to replace maxillary incisors exfoliated because of improper use of orthodontic elastics: A case report. Quintessence Int. 1997; 28(4):241-4.
- Caldwell CR, Worms FW, Gatto DJ. Orthodontic and surgical intervention to arrest tooth loss secondary to subgingival elastic. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1980; 78(3):273-8.
- Zilberman Y, Shteyer A, Azaz B. Iatrogenic exfoliation of teeth by the incorrect use of orthodontic elastic bands. J Am Dent Assoc. 1976; 93(1):89-93.
- Al-Qutub MN. Orthodontic elastic band-induced periodontitis – A case report. Saudi Dent J. 2012;2 4(1):49-53.
- Anderson G C, Schult e J K , Aeppli DM. Reliability of the evaluation of occlusal contacts in the intercuspal position. J Prosthet Dent. 1993; 70(4):320-3.
- Vuong QH, La VP, Nguyen MH, Nguyen TT, Ho MT. Good budget or good care: The dilemma of social health insurance in Vietnam. SAGE Open Med. 2021; 9:20503121211042512.
- Knigge RP, McNulty KP, Oh H, Hardin AM, Leary EV, Duren DL, Valiathan M, Sherwood RJ. Geometric morphometric analysis of growth patterns among facial types. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2021; 160(3):430-41.
- Roy AS, Singh GK, Tandon P, De N. An interim bite raiser. Int J Orthod Milwaukee. 2013; 24(2):63- 4.
- Meibodi SE, Fatahi Meybodi S, Samadi AH. The effect of posterior bite-plane on dentoskeletal changes in skeletal open-bite malocclusion. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2009; 27(4):202-4.
- Mousa MR, Hajeer MY, Farah H. Evaluation of the open-bite Bionator versus the removable posterior bite plane with a tongue crib in the early treatment of skeletal anterior open bite: A randomized controlled trial. J World Fed Orthod. 2021; 10(4):163-71.
- Sankaranarayanan R R, Subramanian AK. Effect of temporary bite raising with light cured orthodontic band cement and acrylic bite plane on the electromyographic response of masticatory muscles. Ann Dent Oral Health. 2021; 4:1036.
- Changsiripun C, Pativetpinyo D. Masticatory function after bite-raising with light-cured orthodontic band cement in healthy adults. Angle Orthod. 2019; 90(2):263-8.
- Pativetpinyo D, Supronsinchai W, Changsiripun C. Immediate effects of temporary bite-raising with light-cured orthodontic band cement on the electromyographic response of masticatory muscles. J Appl Oral Sci. 2018; 26:e20170214.
- Khan M, Jindal M. Successful treatment of laterally luxated teeth with traumatic occlusion in adolescent patient by single arch fixed orthodontic therapy: A case-report. Sci Dent J. 2022; 6(2):87- 93.
Ngoc, V. N., Huan, L. V., Loan, H. K., Hung, D. T., & Dong, T. T. Misusing Elastics for Midline Diastema Closure - Disaster and Treatment Via a Case Report in Vietnam. J Dent Indones. 2023;30(2): 149-155