The C-shaped root canals offer greater negotiation, debridement, and obturation difficulty as they present with intercommunications, lateral canals, and reduced dentin thickness.
Objective: This case series elaborates on the recognition that these varying configurations is important to enhance adequate cleaning, shaping, and sealing of the root canal.
Case Reports: On clinical examination, all the teeth showed caries were nonresponsive to sensibility tests and toother diagnostic tests, suggestive of pulp necrosis with apical periodontitis. Conventional root canal treatment with different techniques and obturation systems have been used. This case series presents the successful management of various C-shaped configurations classified by Fan et al. and emphasizes the different treatment approaches for effective therapy. The cleaning and shaping process should always follow the canal anatomy to maintain the canal shape at the same point the primary and secondary curvatures and thin interconnections are negotiated, prepared, and sealed.
Conclusion: The morphological variation existence and their different types and management should be known for improved healing and enhanced success of root canal treatment.
- Cooke HG 3rd, Cox FL. C-shaped canal configurations in mandibular molars. J Am Dent Assoc. 1979; 99(5):836-9.
- Zheng Q, Zhang L, Zhou X, Wang Q, Wang Y, Tang L, Song F, Huang D. C-shaped root canal system in mandibular second molars in a Chinese population evaluated by cone-beam computed tomography. Int Endod J. 2011; 44(9):857-62.
- Seo MS, Park DS. C-shaped root canals of mandibular second molars in a Korean population: Clinical observation and in vitro analysis. Int Endod J. 2004; 37(2):139-44.
- Kato A, Ziegler A, Higuchi N, Nakata K, Nakamura H, Ohno N. Aetiology, incidence and morphology of the C-shaped root canal system and its impact on clinical endodontics. Int Endod J. 2014; 47(11):1012-33.
- Melton DC, Krell KV, Fuller MW. Anatomical and histological features of C-shaped canals in mandibular second molars. J Endod. 1991; 17(8):384-8.
- Fan B, Cheung GS, Fan M, Gutmann JL, Fan W. C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars: Part II--Radiographic features. J Endod. 2004; 30(12):904-8.
- Sinanoglu A, Helvacioglu-Yigit D. Analysis of C-shaped canals by panoramic radiography and cone-beam computed tomography: root-type specificity by longitudinal distribution. J Endod. 2014; 40(7):917-21.
- Chhabra S, Yadav S, Talwar S. Analysis of C-shaped canal systems in mandibular second molars using surgical operating microscope and cone beam computed tomography: A clinical approach. J Conserv Dent. 2014; 17(3):238-43.
- Khawaja S, Alharbi N, Chaudhry J, Khamis AH, Abed RE, Ghoneima A, Jamal M. The C-shaped root canal systems in mandibular second molars in an Emirati population. Sci Rep. 2021; 11(1):23863.
- Plazza FA, Dal-Fabbro R, Cosme-Silva L, Duarte PCT, Loureiro C, Custódio VZ, Cintra LTA, Duarte MAH, Gomes-Filho JE. Effectiveness of passive ultrasonic irrigation protocols in simulated complex root canal cavities. Oral. 2023; 3(1):1-10.
- Raghu R , P radeep G , Shetty A , G autham PM, Puneetha PG, Reddy TVS. Retrievability of calcium hydroxide intracanal medicament with three calcium chelators, ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, citric acid, and chitosan from root canals: An in vitro cone beam computed tomography volumetric analysis. J Conserv Dent. 2017; 20(1):25-9.
- Shemesh A, Levin A, Katzenell V, Itzhak JB, Levinson O, Avraham Z, Solomonov M. C-shaped canals-prevalence and root canal configuration by cone beam computed tomography evaluation in first and second mandibular molars-a cross-sectional study. Clin Oral Investig. 2017; 21(6):2039-44.
- Shon WJ, Kum KY, Baek SH, Lee WC. A retrospective study of the intentionally replanted mandibular second molars with C-shaped root canal configurations. J Korean Acad Conserv Dent. 2011; 36(1):19-25.
- Vaz de Azevedo KR, Lopes CB, Andrade RHTLR, Pacheco da Costa FFN, Gonçalves LS, Medeiros Dos Santos R, Alves FRF. C-shaped canals in first and second mandibular molars from Brazilian individuals: A prevalence study using cone-beam computed tomography. PLoS One. 2019; 14(2):e0211948.
- Mrinalini M, Sodvadia UB, Shetty A, Hegde MN. Endodontic management of a C-shaped root canal using thermoplasticised obturation with a modified gutta-percha cartridge design. Case report. N Z Dent J. 2023; 119(2):91-4.
- G aut a m G, Mish r a SK , A la m S, A l i S. Endoactivator and diode laser assisted disinfection for treating c-shaped canal in mandibular second molar: Report of 3 cases. IOSR J Dent Med Sci. 2017; 16(2):86-9.
- Min Y, Fan B, Cheung GS, Gutmann JL, Fan M. C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars Part III: The morphology of the pulp chamber floor. J Endod. 2006; 32(12):1155-9.
- Raisingani D, Gupta S, Mital P, Khullar P. Anatomic and diagnostic challenges of C-shaped root canal system. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2014; 7(1):35-9.
- Lambrianidis T, Lyroudia K, Pandelidou O, Nicolaou A. Evaluation of periapical radiographs in the recognition of C-shaped mandibular second molars. Int Endod J. 2001; 34(6):458-62.
- Tamse A, Kaffe I. Radiographic survey of the prevalence of conical lower second molar. Int Endod J. 1981; 14(3):188-90.
- Chai WL, Thong YL. Cross-sectional morphology and minimum canal wall widths in C-shaped roots of mandibular molars. J Endod. 2004; 30(7):509- 12.
- Solomonov M, Paqué F, Fan B, Eilat Y, Berman LH. The challenge of C-shaped canal systems: A comparative study of the self-adjusting file and ProTaper. J Endod. 2012; 38(2):209-14.
- Gao Y, Fan B, Cheung GS, Gutmann JL, Fan M. C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars part IV: 3-D morphological analysis and transverse measurement. J Endod. 2006; 32(11):1062-5.
Lavanya, A., & Tewari, R. How to Manage FAN’S C Shape Canals along with S Shape Morphology in Indian Population: A Case Series and Narrative Review. J Dent Indones. 2023;30(2): 141-148
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons