Fenestration term is derived from the Latin word ‘fenestra’ means ‘window’. Gingival fenestration is not found in routine while its actual occurrence is assumed to be higher. Additionally, if these mucogingival defects persist for a longer duration it may lead to adverse outcomes like compromised esthetics, hypersensitivity, plaque and calculus deposition, and susceptibility to dental caries. Present cases of gingival fenestration were successfully treated by using full-thickness flap elevation with connective tissue graft placement. Two cases were presented with the accumulation of plaque and calculus and having gingival fenestration to the respective sites. After phase 1 therapy, full thickness flap was raised and a connective tissue graft was placed beneath the fenestrated area. The successful results were obtained in both cases in terms of complete closure of gingival fenestration defects and well-adapted margins with adjacent tissues at one year of follow-up. Full thickness flap with connective tissue graft procedure resulted in complete closure of gingival fenestration in both cases with no recurrence at one-year follow-up and can be used as a successful and predictable treatment modality for the management of such cases.
- Lane JJ. Gingival fenestration. J Periodontol. 1977; 48(4):225-7.
- Haskell B, Stern JK, Ghiassi J, Kurialacherry A, Gaud-Quintana S, Peacock ME. Resolution of abfraction-associated gingival fenestration utilizing connective tissue grafting. Case Rep Dent. 2019; 2019:6810670.
- Gandi P, Anumala N, Reddy A, Chandra RV. A regenerative approach towards mucosal fenestration closure. BMJ Case Rep. 2013; 2013:bcr2013009604.
- Pendor S, Baliga V, Muthukumaraswamy A, Dhadse PV, Ganji KK, Thakare K. Coverage of gingival fenestration using modified pouch and tunnel technique: A novel approach. Case Rep Dent. 2013; 2013:902585.
- Kita D, Kinumatsu T, Ishii Y, Yamanouchi K, Saito A. Treatment of gingival fenestration with connective tissue graft: A case report. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 2018; 59(2):111-9.
- Bhide VM, Tenenbaum HC. Treatment of gingival fenestration with a double pedicle flap approach and dehydrated amnion-chorion membrane: A case report. Clin Adv Periodontics. 2020; 10(4):200-3.
- Kajimoto NC, Buischi YP, Loomer PM, Pola NM, Nagata MJH, Bosco AF. Gingival fenestration defect treated with gingivectomy and gingivoplasty: A case report with an 8-year follow-up. Clin Adv Periodontics. 2021; Epub ahead of print.
- Hürzeler MB, Weng D. A single-incision technique to harvest subepithelial connective tissue grafts from the palate. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1999; 19(3):279-87.
- Tewari S, Dhiman M, Bhagavatheeswaran S, Thakur V, Tewari S. Management of isolated labial mucosal fenestration by endodontic microsurgery along with platelet-rich fibrin and connective tissue graft: A series of four cases. Clin Adv Periodontics. 2022; 12(3):194-203.
- Mehta L, Tewari S, Sharma R, Sharma RK, Tanwar N, Arora R. Assessment of the effect of orthodontic treatment on the stability of preorthodontic recession coverage by connective tissue graft: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Quintessence Int. 2022; 53(3):236-48.
- Liu CL, Weisgold AS. Connective tissue graft: A classification for incision design from the palatal site and clinical case reports. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2002; 22(4):373-9.
Jaglan, S., & Tewari, S. Treatment of Gingival Fenestration using Mucoperiosteal Flap with Connective Tissue Graft: A Report of Two Cases. J Dent Indones. 2023;30(1): 52-56
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons