Three-Dimensional Evaluation of the Mandibular Lingula on Cone-Beam Computed Tomographic Images in The Turkish Population
Objective: The purpose of this study was to provide morphometric and anatomical data for mandibular lingula (Li) in The Turkish population using three dimensional-cone beam computed tomography (3D-CBCT) images. Methods: CBCT images of the patients taken between July 2020 and March 2021, were retrieved from the archival records. A total of 100 Li’s of 50 patients who met the criteria of this study were evaluated. The distances between the tip of the Li and ramal landmarks/occlusal plane were measured and the shape of the Li was evaluated on 3D-CBCT images. Results: CBCT images of the 50 patients (19 males and 31 females) with an age range of 18 to 56 years were included in this study. Significant differences were found for the measurements of right LP (p < 0.001), left LP (p = 0.003), right LOP (p = 0.016) and left LOP (p = 0.007) between genders. A significant difference was observed for LI (p = 0.024) between the left and right sides. Regarding the shape of the Li significant difference was found between the right and left sides (p = 0.003), while no significant differences were observed among genders on either both sides. Conclusion: This study contributes additional data to the literature about the location and morphology of the Li in Turkish subpopulation. These results provide a reference for the clinicians regarding the procedures involving mandibular ramus to perform maneuvers in safe margins.
1. Murlimanju BV, Prabhu LV, Pai MM, Paul MT, Saralaya VV, Kumar CG. Morphological study of lingula of the mandibles in South Indian population. Morphologie. 2012; 96(312):16-20.
2. Srimani P, Goswami B, Mazumdar S. Morphologic and morphometric analysis of lingula in localizing mandibular foramen with its surgical importance. Int J Anat Radiol Surg. 2017; 6(4):AO01-6.
3. Özalp Ö, Salim H, Bilgin B, Öztürk S, Dogan MS, Göztepe MB, Çalgüner E, Sindel M, Sindel A. Morphologic and morphometric analysis of mandibular lingula. Anatomy. 2020; 14(1):16-21.
4. Akcay H, Kalabalık F, Tatar B, Ulu M. Location of the mandibular lingula: Comparison of skeletal Class I and Class III patients in relation to ramus osteotomy using cone-beam computed tomography. J Stomatol Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 120(6):504-8.
5. Jung YH, Cho BH, Hwang JJ. Location and shape of the mandibular lingula: Comparison of skeletal class I and class III patients using panoramic radiography and cone-beam computed tomography. Imaging Sci Dent. 2018; 48(3):185-90.
6. Lima FJ, Oliveira Neto OB, Barbosa FT, Sousa- Rodrigues CF. Location, shape and anatomic relations of the mandibular foramen and the mandibular lingula: A contribution to surgical procedures in the ramus of the mandible. Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 20(2):177-82.
7. Choi DY, Hur MS. Anatomical review of the mandibular lingula for inferior alveolar nerve block. Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2021; 80(4):786-91.
8. Fabian FM. Observation of the position of the lingula in relation to the mandibular foramen and the mylohyoid groove. Ital J Anat Embryol. 2006; 111(3):151-8.
9. Tuli A , C houdhry R , C houdhry S , R aheja S , Agarwal S. Variation in shape of the lingula in the adult human mandible. J Anat. 2000; 197(Pt 2)(Pt 2):313-7.
10. Alves N, Deana NF. Morphological study of the lingula in adult human mandibles of Brazilians individuals and clinical implications. Biomed Res Int. 2015; 2015:873751.
11. Sekerci AE, Sisman Y. Cone-beam computed tomography analysis of the shape, height, and location of the mandibular lingula. Surg Radiol Anat 2014;36(2):155-62.
12. Senel B, Ozkan A, Altug HA. Morphological evaluation of the mandibular lingula using conebeam computed tomography. Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2015; 74(4):497-502.
13. Prabhu N akkeeran K , R avi P, D oss G T, R aja KK. Is the vazirani-akinosi nerve block a better technique than the conventional inferior alveolar nerve block for beginners? J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 77(3):489-92.
14. Samanta PP, Kharb P. Morphological analysis of the lingula in dry adult human mandibles of north Indian population. J CranioMaxillary Dis. 2012; 1(1):7-11.
15. Jansisyanont P, Apinhasmit W, Chompoopong S. Shape, height, and location of the lingula for sagittal ramus osteotomy in Thais. Clin Anat. 2009; 22(7):787-93.
16. Ahn BS, Oh SH, Heo CK, Kim GT, Choi YS, Hwang EH. Cone-beam computed tomography of mandibular foramen and lingula for mandibular anesthesia. Imaging Sci Dent. 2020; 50(2):125-32.
17. Jang HY, Han SJ. Measurement of mandibular lingula location using cone-beam computed tomography and internal oblique ridge-guided inferior alveolar nerve block. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 45(3):158-66.
18. Findik Y, Yildirim D, Baykul T. Three-dimensional anatomic analysis of the lingula and mandibular foramen: A cone beam computed tomography study. J Craniofac Surg. 2014; 25(2):607-10.
19. Kositbowornchai S, Siritapetawee M, Damrongrungruang T, Khongkankong W, Chatrchaiwiwatana S, Khamanarong K, Chanthaooplee T. Shape of the lingula and its localization by panoramic radiograph versus dry mandibular measurement. Surg Radiol Anat. 2007; 29(8):689-94.
20. Zhou C, Jeon TH, Jun SH, Kwon JJ. Evaluation of mandibular lingula and foramen location using 3-dimensional mandible models reconstructed by cone-beam computed tomography. Maxillofac Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017; 39(1):30.
21. Lopes PTC, Pereira GAM, Santos AMPV. Morphological analysis of the lingula in dry mandibles of individuals in Southern Brazil. J Morphol Sci. 2010; 27(3-4):136-8.
22. Hsu KJ, Tseng YC, Liang SW, Hsiao SY, Chen CM. Dimension and location of the mandibular lingula: Comparisons of gender and skeletal patterns using cone-beam computed tomography. Biomed Res Int. 2020; 2020:2571534.
Unal Erzurumlu, Z., & Torul, D. Three-Dimensional Evaluation of the Mandibular Lingula on Cone-Beam Computed Tomographic Images in The Turkish Population. J Dent Indones. 2022;29(3): 179-186
Anesthesia and Analgesia Commons, Body Regions Commons, Diagnosis Commons, Investigative Techniques Commons, Other Dentistry Commons, Surgical Procedures, Operative Commons