Effect of Preflaring on Accuracy of Endodontic Length Determination by Four Electronic Apex Locators
Objective: Root canal anatomy significantly impacts the working length determination. This study aimed to investigate the effect of the preflaring technique on the accuracy of four electronic apex locators. Methods: Forty-five single-canal central maxillary teeth were selected. The working length was measured before and after the coronal preparation by four types of electronic apex locators in the range of ±0.5 and ±1 mm matched for the apical constriction. The actual working length was calculated under a microscope. Data were analyzed using ICC and paired t-tests in SPSS16. A p < 0.05 was considered significant. Results: The accuracies of Root ZX, DTE, Denjoy, and Coxo apex locators in the range of ± 0.05 mm were 71.1, 93.3, 84.4, and 75.6% before preflaring, and 82.2, 93.3, 97.8, and 100% after that. The corresponding values in the range of ±1 mm were 86.7, 97.8, 93.3, and 100% before and 97.8, 100, 100, and 100% after preflaring. Significant differences were found between the working lengths measured by the four devices and the actual working lengths before and after preflaring. Conclusion: The preflaring technique could impact the performance of apex locators in determining the working length and may be advocated for better outcomes.
1. Yazdizadeh M, Habibi Kia A, Mohagheghi SA, Basir A, Abbasi S, Nirooomand N, Aghajeri S, Shamsaei M. Clinical comparison of the accuracy of root canal length determination in permanent teeth by means of Root ZX electronic apex locator, tactile perception and conventional radiography. Jundishapur Sci Med J. 2014; 13(2):181-90.
2. Mandlik J, Shah N, Pawar K, Gupta P, Singh S, Shaik SA. An in vivo evaluation of different methods of working length determination. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2013; 14(4):644-8.
3. Raghu KN, Daniel JG, Razvi S, Vinaychandra R, Kini A, Nandakishore KJ. In vivo evaluation of the accuracy of working length determination using an electronic apex locater IPEX (NSK) on vital uninfected teeth and teeth with radiographic evidence of periapical lesions. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2014; 4(Suppl 3):S204-8.
4. Wolf TG, Krauß-Mironjuk A, Wierichs RJ, Briseño-Marroquín B. Influence of embedding media on the accuracy of working length determination by means of apex locator: An ex vivo study. Sci Rep. 2021; 11(1):3340.
5. Yildirim C, Aktan AM, Karataslioglu E, Aksoy F, Isman O, Culha E. Performance of the working length determination using cone beam computed tomography, radiography and electronic apex locator, in comparisons to actual length. Iran J Radiol. 2017; 14(1):e13468.
6. Taneja S, Kumar M, Sharma SS, Gogia H. Comparative evaluation of accuracy of three electronic apex locators in different simulated clinical conditions-an in vitro study. Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2017; 7(3):190-4.
7. Alothmani OS, Friedlander LT, Chandler NP. Radiographic assessment of endodontic working length. Saudi Endod J. 2013; 3(2):57-64.
8. Hwang SY, Choi ES, Kim YS, Gim BE, Ha M, Kim HY. Health effects from exposure to dental diagnostic X-ray. Environ Health Toxicol. 2018; 33(4):e2018017.
9. Alserhan MA, Alzahrani AH, Alzahrani AS, Alzahrani SS. Awareness and endodontic clinical practice of the general dental practitioners in Albaha region. Saudi Endod J. 2021; 11(2):202-13.
10. Nasiri K, Wrbas KT. Accuracy of different generations of apex locators in determining working length; A systematic review and metaanalysis. Saudi Dent J. 2022; 34(1):11-20.
11. Tamilselvi R, Ebiraj JA, Prakash V, Subbiya A. An insight into electronic apex locator. Eur J Mol Clin Med. 2020; 7(3):2086-92.
12. Shacham M, Levin A, Shemesh A, Lvovsky A, Ben Itzhak J, Solomonov M. Accuracy and stability of electronic apex locator length measurements in root canals with wide apical foramen: An ex vivo study. BDJ Open. 2020; 6(1):22.
13. Iqbal A, Akbar I, AL-Omiri MK. An in vivo study to determine the effects of early preflaring on the working length in curved mesial canals of mandibular molars. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2013; 14(2):163-7.
14. Elkholy MMA, Ha WN. An arithmetic crowndown dynamic tactile instrumentation technique: A case report of an S-shaped root canal. J Endod. 2021; 47(5):836-43.
15. León-López M, Cabanillas-Balsera D, Areal- Quecuty V, Martín-González J, Jiménez-Sánchez MC, Saúco-Márquez JJ, Sánchez-Domínguez B, Segura-Egea JJ. Influence of coronal preflaring on the accuracy of electronic working length determination: Systematic review and metaanalysis. J Clin Med. 2021; 10(13):2760.
16. Suryantoro R, Meidyawati R, Suprastiwi E. The effect of coronal preflaring on the accuracy of two electronic apex locators. J Phys Conf Ser. 2017; 884:012059.
17. Amin J, Lines J, Milosevic MP, Park A, Sholapurkar A. Comparison of accuracy and reliability of working length determination using cone beam computed tomography and electronic apex locator: A systematic review. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2019; 20(9):1118-23.
18. Sadaf D, Ahmad MZ. Accurate measurement of canal length during root canal treatment: An in vivo study. Int J Biomed Sci. 2015; 11(1):42–7.
19. Stöber EK, Duran-Sindreu F, Mercadé M, Vera J, Bueno R, Roig M. An evaluation of root ZX and iPex apex locators: An in vivo study. J Endod. 2011; 37(5):608-10.
20. Oliveira TN, Vivacqua-Gomes N, Bernardes RA, Vivan RR, Duarte MAH, Vasconcelos BC. Determination of the accuracy of 5 electronic apex locators in the function of different employment protocols. J Endod. 2017; 43(10):1663-7.
21. Brito-Júnior M, Camilo CC, Moreira-Júnior G, Pecora JD, Sousa-Neto MD. Effect of pre-flaring and file size on the accuracy of two electronic apex locators. J Appl Oral Sci. 2012; 20(5):538-43.
22. Ramachandran A, Khan SIR. Effect of cervical preflaring on initial apical file size determination in maxillary central incisors and first molars. J Adv Oral Res. 2015; 6(3):30-3.
23. Guimarães BM, Tartari T, Fernandes SL, Oda DF, Bramante CM, Duarte MAH. Influence of the instrument used for cervical preflaring on the precision of 2 eletronic apex locators. Rev Gaúch Odontol. 2016; 64(4):382-6.
24. Godiny M, Hatam R, Safari-Faramani R, Khavid A, Rezaei MR. Inf luence of apical patency, coronal preflaring and calcium hydroxide on the accuracy of root zx apex locator for working length determination: An in vitro study. J Adv Oral Res. 2022; 13(1):38-42.
25. Kamaraj PS, Parandhaman H, Raguganesh V. Comparison of five different methods of working length determination: An ex vivo study. Endodontology. 2020; 32(4):187-92.
26. Mousavi SA, Farhad A, Shahnaseri S, Basiri A, Kolahdouzan E. Comparative evaluation of apical constriction position in incisor and molar teeth: An in vitro study. Eur J Dent. 2018; 12(2):237-41.
27. ElAyouti A, Hülber-J M, Judenhofer MS, Connert T, Mannheim JG, Löst C, Pichler BJ, von Ohle C. Apical constriction: Location and dimensions in molars-a micro-computed tomography study. J Endod. 2014; 40(8):1095-9.
28. Gutmann JL. Apical termination of root canal procedures—Ambiguity or disambiguation? Evidbased Endod. 2016;1:4.
29. Aggarwal G, Bogra P, Gupta S, Jindal A, Jain N. Determination of apical constriction and apical foramen using electronic apex locator in vivo: Comparison between vital and nonvital teeth. Saudi Endod J. 2018; 8(2):99-105.
30. Cianconi L, Angotti V, Felici R, Conte G, Mancini M. Accuracy of three electronic apex locators compared with digital radiography: An ex vivo study. J Endod. 2010; 36(12):2003-7.
31. Mancini M, Felici R, Conte G, Costantini M, Cianconi L. Accuracy of three electronic apex locators in anterior and posterior teeth: An ex vivo study. J Endod. 2011; 37(5):684-7.
32. Wrbas KT, Ziegler A A, Altenbu rger MJ, Schirrmeister JF. In vivo comparison of working length determination with two electronic apex locators. Int Endod J. 2007; 40(2):133-8.
33. Pascon EA, Marrelli M, Congi O, Ciancio R, Miceli F, Versiani MA. An ex vivo comparison of working length determination by 3 electronic apex locators. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009; 108(3):e147-51.
34. ElAyouti A, Kimionis I, Chu AL, Löst C. Determining the apical terminus of root-end resected teeth using three modern apex locators: A comparative ex vivo study. Int Endod J. 2005; 38(11):827-33.
35. ElAyouti A, Dima E, Ohmer J, Sperl K, von Ohle C, Löst C. Consistency of apex locator function: A clinical study. J Endod. 2009; 35(2):179-81.
36. Saritha V, Raghu H, Kumar TH, Totad S, Kamatagi L, Saraf PA. The accuracy of two electronic apex locators on effect of preflaring and file size: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent. 2021; 24(1):46-9.
37. Mosleh H, Khazaei S, Razavian H, Vali A, Ziaei F. Electronic apex locator: A comprehensive literature review - Part I: Different generations, comparison with other techniques and different usages. Dent Hypotheses. 2014; 5(3):84-97.
38. Gusto, M. Electronic apex locators and working mechanisms: A review. J Med Dent Investig. 2020; 1(1):1-14.
Izadi, A., Bayandari, M., & Kazeminejad, E. Effect of Preflaring on Accuracy of Endodontic Length Determination by Four Electronic Apex Locators. J Dent Indones. 2022;29(3): 165-171
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons