Objectives: This study compared the amount of apically extruded debris and irrigant using VDW.ROTATE instruments with different kinematics (continuous rotation and reciprocation motion) and the ProTaper Gold system. Methods: Sixty extracted mandibular premolar teeth were selected. The teeth were prepared for the agar gel model. The roots were randomly divided into three groups (n=20). In two groups, the root canals were instrumented using the following movement kinematics: VDW.ROTATE reciprocation motion and continuous rotation. In the other group, root canals were prepared with ProTaper Gold. Apically extruded debris and irrigant during instrumentation were collected into preweighed Eppendorf tubes and were assessed with an electronic balance. All procedures were performed in a 35oC hot water bath. The data were analyzed using the Shapiro–Wilk and Kruskal–Wallis tests at a 5% significance level. Results: ROTATE-Reciprocation extruded the least amount of debris, but this finding was not significant when compared with the amount of debris and irrigant extruded by the ProTaper Gold and ROTATE-Rotation (p>.05). Conclusion: All instrumentation kinematics were associated with apical debris and irrigant extrusion. Movement kinematics did not affect the amount of apically extruded debris and irrigants when using VDW.ROTATE instruments.
- Üstün Y, Çanakçi BC, Dinçer AN, Er O, Düzgün S. Evaluation of apically extruded debris associated with several Ni-Ti systems. Int Endod J. 2015; 48(7):701-4.
- Tanalp J, Güngör T. Apical extrusion of debris: A literature review of an inherent occurrence during root canal treatment. Int Endod J. 2014; 47(3):211-21.
- Siqueira JF. Microbial causes of endodontic flare-ups. Int Endod J. 2003; 36(7):453-63.
- Caviedes-Bucheli J, Castellanos F, Vasquez N, Ulate E, Munoz H.R. The influence of two reciprocating single-file and two rotary-file systems on the apical extrusion of debris and its biological relationship with symptomatic apical periodontitis. A systematic review and meta-analysis. Int Endod J. 2016; 49(3):255-70.
- Ozsu D, Karataş E, Arslan H, Topcu MC. Quantitative evaluation of apically extruded debris during root canal instrumentation with ProTaper Universal, ProTaper Next, WaveOne, and self-adjusting file systems. Eur J Dent. 2014; 8(4):504-8.
- Silva EJ, Carapiá MF, Lopes RM, Belladonna FG, Senna PM, Souza EM, De-Deus G. Comparison of apically extruded debris after large apical preparations by full-sequence rotary and single-file reciprocating systems. Int Endod J. 2016; 49(7):700-5.
- Küçükyilmaz E, Savas S, Saygili G, Uysal B. Assessment of apically extruded debris and irrigant produced by different nickel-titanium instrument systems. Braz Oral Res. 2015; 29:1-6.
- Karataş E, Arslan H, Kırıcı DÖ, Alsancak M, Çapar ID. Quantitative evaluation of apically extruded debris with Twisted File Adaptive instruments in straight root canals: Reciprocation with different angles, adaptive motion and continuous rotation. Int Endod J. 2016; 49(4):382-5.
- Nayak G, Singh I, Shetty S, Dahiya S. Evaluation of apical extrusion of debris and irrigant using two new reciprocating and one continuous rotation single file systems. J Dent. 2014; 11(3):302-9.
- Kwak SW, Lee CJ, Kim SK, Kim HC, Ha JH. Comparison of screw-in forces during movement of endodontic files with different geometries, alloys, and kinetics. Materials (Basel). 2019; 12(9):1506:1-7.
- Gagliardi J, Versiani MA, de Sousa-Neto MD, Plazas-Garzon A, Basrani B. Evaluation of the shaping characteristics of ProTaper Gold, ProTaper NEXT, and ProTaper Universal in curved canals. J Endod. 2015; 41(10):1718-24.
- Falakaloglu S, Özata MY, İriboz E. Apically extruded debris and irrigants during root canal instrumentation with TruNatomy and ProTaper Gold rotary file systems. G Ital Endod. 2021; 35(2):38-43.
- Karataş E, Ersoy İ, Gündüz HA, Uygun AD, Kol E, Çakıcı F. Influence of instruments used in root canal preparation on amount of apically extruded debris. Artif Organs. 2016; 40(8):774-7.
- Cakici F, Cakici EB, Küçükekenci FF, Uygun AD, Arslan H. Apically extruded debris during root canal preparation using ProTaper Gold, ProTaper Universal, ProTaper Next, and Reciproc instruments. Int J Artif Organs. 2016; 39(3):128-31.
- VDW.ROTATE. Available at: https://www.vdw-dental.com/en/products/detail/vdwrotate/
- Bürklein S, Schäfer E. Apically extruded debris with reciprocating single-file and full-sequence rotary instrumentation systems. J Endod. 2012; 38(6):850-2.
- Arslan H, Doğanay E, Alsancak M, Çapar ID, Karataş E, Gündüz HA. Comparison of apically extruded debris after root canal instrumentation using Reciproc® instruments with various kinematics. Int Endod J. 2016; 49(3):307-10.
- De-Deus G, Neves A, Silva EJ, Mendonça TA, Lourenço C, Calixto C, Lima EJ. Apically extruded dentin debris by reciprocating single-file and multi-file rotary system. Clin Oral Investig. 2015; 19(2):357-61.
- Koçak S, Koçak MM, Sağlam BC, Türker SA, Sağsen B, Er Ö. Apical extrusion of debris using self-adjusting file, reciprocating single-file, and 2 rotary instrumentation systems. J Endod. 2013; 39(10):1278-80.
- Kirchhoff AL, Fariniuk LF, Mello I. Apical extrusion of debris in flat-oval root canals after using different instrumentation systems. J Endod. 2015; 41(2):237-41.
- Boijink D, Costa DD, Hoppe CB, Kopper PMP, Grecca FS. Apically extruded debris in curved root canals using the waveone gold reciprocating and twisted file adaptive systems. J Endod. 2018; 44(8):1289-92.
- Schneider SW. A comparison of canal preparations in straight and curved root canals. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1971; 32(2):271-5.
- Lu Y, Wang R, Zhang L, Li HL, Zheng QH, Zhou XD, Huang DM. Apically extruded debris and irrigant with two Ni-Ti systems and hand files when removing root fillings: A laboratory study. Int Endod J. 2013; 46(12):1125-30.
- Keskin C, Sariyilmaz E, Sariyilmaz O. Effect of solvents on apically extruded debris and irrigant during root canal retreatment using reciprocating instruments. Int Endod J. 2017; 50(11):1084-8.
- Uslu G, Özyürek T, Yılmaz K, Gündoğar M, Plotino G. Apically extruded debris during root canal ınstrumentation with Reciproc Blue, HyFlex EDM, and XP-endo Shaper Nickel-titanium Files. J Endod. 2018; 44(5):856-9.
- Sjögren U, Sundqvist G, Nair PN. Tissue reaction to gutta-percha particles of various sizes when implanted subcutaneously in guinea pigs. Eur J Oral Sci. 1995; 103(5):313-21.
- Azar NG, Ebrahimi G. Apically-extruded debris using the ProTaper system. Aust Endod J. 2005; 31(1):21-3.
- Reddy SA, Hicks ML. Apical extrusion of debris using two hand and two rotary instrumentation techniques. J Endod. 1998; 24(3):180-3.
- van der Sluis LW, Gambarini G, Wu MK, Wesselink PR. The influence of volume, type of irrigant and flushing method on removing artificially placed dentine debris from the apical root canal during passive ultrasonic irrigation. Int Endod J. 2006; 39(6):472-6.
- Toyoğlu M, Altunbaş D. Influence of different kinematics on apical extrusion of ırrigant and debris during canal preparation using K3XF instruments. J Endod. 2017; 43(9):1565-8.
- Capar ID, Arslan H, Akcay M, Ertas H. An in vitro comparison of apically extruded debris and instrumentation times with ProTaper Universal, ProTaper Next, Twisted File Adaptive, and HyFlex instruments. J Endod. 2014; 40(10):1638-41.
- Dü zg ü n S, Topçuoğlu HS, Kah raman Ö. Evaluation of apically extruded debris during the canal preparation using new heat-treated nickel-titanium files in curved canals. Aust Endod J. 2021; 47(1):54-8.
- Uygun AD. Cyclic fatigue resistance of VDW. ROTATE and Reciproc Blue nickel-titanium files at root canal temperature. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2020; 14(3):177-80.
- De-Deus G, Brandão MC, Barino B, Di Giorgi K, Fidel RA, Luna AS. Assessment of apically extruded debris produced by the single-file ProTaper F2 technique under reciprocating movement. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010; 110(3):390-4.
- Caviedes-Bucheli J, Azuero-Holguin MM, Gutierrez-Sanchez L, Higuerey-Bermudez F, Pereira-Nava V, Lombana N, Munoz HR. The effect of three different rotary instrumentation systems on substance P and calcitonin gene-related peptide expression in human periodontal ligament. J Endod. 2010; 36(12):1938-42.
- Caviedes-Bucheli J, Moreno JO, Carreño CP, Delgado R, Garcia DJ, Solano J, Diaz E, Munoz HR. The effect of single-file reciprocating systems on Substance P and Calcitonin gene-related peptide expression in human periodontal ligament. Int Endod J. 2013; 46(5):419-26.
- Ruddle CJ, Machtou P, West JD. The shaping movement: Fifth-generation technology. Dent Today. 2013; 32(4):94, 96-9.
- Salzgeber RM, Brilliant JD. An in vivo evaluation of the penetration of an irrigating solution in root canals. J Endod. 1977; 3(10):394-8.
- de Hemptinne F, Slaus G, Vandendael M, Jacquet W, De Moor RJ, Bottenberg P. In vivo ıntracanal temperature evolution during endodontic treatment after the ınjection of room temperature or preheated sodium hypochlorite. J Endod. 2015; 41(7):1112-5.
- Goo HJ, Kwak SW, Ha JH, Pedullà E, Kim HC. Mechanical properties of various heat-treated nickel-titanium rotary ınstruments. J Endod. 2017; 43(11):1872-7.
Falakaloğlu, S., Yeniçeri Özata, M., & İriboz, E. The Effects of Two Instrumentation Techniques for VDW.Rotate Instruments on the Apical Extrusion of Debris and Irrigants: An In Vitro Study. J Dent Indones. 2022;29(1): 61-66