The success of orthodontic treatment depends upon the accurate assessment of mesiodistal widths of unerupted canines and premolars in mixed dentition stage. There are several methods available for mixed dentition analysis with dubious reliability in our population. Objective: To statistically develop new prediction equations for Pakistani subjects to predict the widths of unerupted upper canines and premolars (U345) and lower canine and premolars (L345) using mesiodistal widths of lower incisors (I1I2) and lower incisors and first molars (I1I2M1) and compare their performance with previously established methods of Moyers and Tanaka-Johnston. Methods: Study was conducted using the data from the dental casts of 200 Pakistani subjects with permanent teeth. Linear regression analysis was used to develop general and gender specific equations for estimation of U345 and L345 using the combined mesiodistal width I1I2 and I1I2M1. The actual and estimated sum of of U345 and L345 as determined by Moyers and Tanaka-Johnston and those from prediction equations based on I1I2 and I1I2M1 were compared using the paired sample t-test. Results: There were signficant differences in the actual mesiodistal widths of U345 and L345 and those calculated using Tanaka-Johnston and Moyers methods. Newly developed equations based on I1I2 and I1I2M1 performed better than the Moyers and Tanaka-Johnston methods in both the arches. Conclusion: Moyers and Tanaka-Johnston analyses generally overestimated U345 and L345 dimensions. The newly developed prediction equations based on I1I2 and I1I2M1 performed better for the prediction of mesiodistal widths of U345 and L345.
- Profitt WR, Sarver DM, Fields HW Jr. Orthodontic diagnosis: The problem-oriented approach. In: Proffit WR, Fields HW Jr, Larson BE, Sarver DM, eds. Contemporary Orthodontics. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2019:140-207.
- Ar tese F. A broader look at interceptive orthodontics: What can we offer? Dental Press J Orthod. 2019;24(5):7-8.
- Kareem FA, Rasheed TA, Rauf AM. Longitudinal changes in dental arch circumference in Sulaimani city. Euro Sci J. 2013;9(18):109-19.
- Normando D, de Almeida Santos HG, Abdo Quintao CC. Comparisons of tooth sizes, dental arch dimensions, tooth wear, and dental crowding in Amazonian indigenous people. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2016;150(5):839-46.
- Rossi RC. Evaluation of mixed-dentition employing three different methods: Plaster, digital, CBCT and directly measurements of non-erupted permanent teeth in CBCT. Int J Dentistry Oral Sci. 2016;4:15- 21.
- Thimmegowda U, Sarvesh SG, Shashikumar HC, Kanchiswamy LN, Shivananda DH, Prabhakar AC, et al. Validity of Moyers mixed dentition analysis and a new proposed regression equation as a predictor of width of unerupted canine and premolars in children. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015;9:ZC01-6.
- Moyers RE. Handbook of orthodontics. 4th ed. Chicago: Year Book Medical Publishers; 1988:235- 9.
- Tanaka MM, Johnston LE. The prediction of the size of unerupted canines and premolars in a contemporary orthodontic population. J Am Dent Assoc. 1974;88:798-801.
- Flores-Mir C, Bernabé E, Camus C, Carhuayo MA, Major PW. Prediction of mesiodistal canine and premolar width in a sample of Peruvian adolescents. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2003;6:173-6.
- Chong SY, Aung LM, Pan YH, Chang WJ, Tsai CY. Equation for tooth size prediction from mixed dentition analysis for Taiwanese population: a pilot study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021;18(12):6356.
- Toodehzaeim, MH, Haerian A, Alesaeidi A. Prediction of mesiodistal width of unerupted lateral incisors, canines and premolars in orthodontic patients in early mixed dentition. Period J Dent. 2016;13:383–7.
- Melgaco CA, Sousa Araujo MT, Oliveira Ruella AC. Mandibular permanent first molar and incisor width as predictor of mandibular canine and premolar width. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007;132:340-5.
- Kadu A, Londhe SM, Kumar P, Datana S, Singh M, Gupta N. Estimating the size of unerupted canine and premolars in a mixed Indian population. J Dent Res Rev 2014;1(2):62–5.
- Giri J, Pokharel PR, Gyawali R, Timsina J, Pokhrel K. New regression equations for mixed dentition space analysis in Nepalese mongoloids. BMC Oral Health. 2018;18:214-20.
- Sholapurmath SM, Benni DB, Mandroli P.
- Applicability of two mixed dentition analysis in children of Jangam community of Belgaum city. World J Dent. 2012;3:324‑9.
- Namitha R, Rami Reddy MS, Biswas P, Balakrishna S, Ushass P. Mixed dentition space analysis in Kondava population: A comparison of two methods. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8:1‑6.
- Brito FC, Nacif, VC, Melgaco CA. Mandibular permanent first molars and incisors as predictors of mandibular permanent canine and premolar widths: Applicability and consistency of the method. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014;145:393-8.
- Memon S, Fida M. Comparison of three mixed dentition analysis methods in orthodontic patients at AKUH. J Coll Phys Surg Pak. 2010;20(8):533-7
- Tayyab M, Hussain U, Ayesha, Summaya, Ayub A. Applicability of Tanaka and Jhonston mixed dentition analysis in a Peshawar sample. Pak Oral Dent J. 2014;34(2):4-11.
- Kundi IU, Dil F, Shah A, Basher U. Applicability of Tanaka and Johnston mixed dentition analysis in a contemporary Pakistani population. Pak Oral Dent J. 2012;32(2):253-9.
- Mahida H, Memon S, Khan M, Naz F. Applicability of two non-radiographic mixed dentition analysis methods in orthodontic patients. Pak J Med Dent. 2021;10(1):58-63.
- Bano S, Ahmed A, Ali F, Azal S, Rasool G. Applicability of Moyers’ prediction table in orthodontic patients reporting to KCD Peshawar population. J Rehman Coll Dent. 2021;2(1):16-9.
- Ibadullah K, Farhan D, Amjad S, Ulfat B. Applicability of Tanaka and Johnston mixed dentition analysis in a contemporary Pakistani population. Pak Oral Dent J. 2012;32(2):253-9.
- Bugaighis I, Karanth D, Elmouadeb H. Mixed dentition analysis in Libyan school children. J Orthod Sci. 2013;2(4):115-9.
- Paredes V, Tarazona B, Zamora N, Cibrian R, Gandia JL. New regression equations for predicting human teeth sizes. Head Face Med .2015;11(1):8.
- Mittar M, Dua VS, Wilson S. Reliability of permanent mandibular first molars and incisors widths as predictor for the width of permanent mandibular and maxillary canines and premolars. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012;3:S8-12.
Jeelani, W., Asad, W., & Ahmed, M. A Comparison of Four Different Methods of Prediction of Mesiodistal Widths of Unerupted Permanent Canines and Premolars. J Dent Indones. 2022;29(1): 17-23
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons