Effects of Different Finishing Procedures on Surface Roughness of Hybrid CAD/CAM Materials
Hybrid ceramics combine the beneficial properties of resin with the advantage of glass ceramics. However, there are limited study about on roughness properties of hybrid materials. Objective: To investigate of the effects of surface finishing methods on roughness of dental restorations made from hybrid CAD/CAM blocks. Methods: A total of 60 samples were produced (n=20) for three main material groups, two different hybrid ceramic (LAVA Ultimate and VITA Enamic) and a conventional glass ceramic (IPS e.max CAD). Each material group was divided into two subgroups (n=10). Ten samples were polished and 10 were glazed according to related manufacturer instructions. Surface roughness was measured with a surface profilometer. Data were statistically analysed using two-way ANOVA (p<0.05). Results: This study revealed that glazed surfaces were exhibited higher surface roughness values than polished surfaces in all materials (p<0.001). Minimum Ra values were belonged to Lava Ultimate polished group (Ra=0,07 μm) and maximum values were belonged to IPS e.max CAD glazed group (Ra=0,38 μm). Conclusion: Within the limitations of the present study, it may be suggested that finishing the hybrid ceramic restorations by mechanical polishing instead of glaze gives better clinical performance in regard to surface roughness.
- Van Noort R. The future of dental devices is digital. Dent Mater. 2012;28(1):3-12.
- Ja neva N M, Kova cevsk a G, Ele ncevsk i S, Panchevska S, Mijoska A, Lazarevska B. Advantages of CAD/CAM versus conventional complete dentures - A Review. Maced J Med Sci. 2018;6(8):1498-502.
- Nguyen JF, Ruse D, Phan AC, Sadoun MJ. High-temperature-pressure polymerized resin-infiltrated ceramic networks. J Dent Res. 2014;93(1):62-7.
- D el l a B o n a A , C o r a z z a PH , Z h a n g Y. Characterization of a polymer-infiltrated ceramic-network material. Dent Mater. 2014;30(5):564-9.
- Coldea A. Suitability of polymer-infiltrated-ceramic-networks for CAD/CAM based dental restorative materials. PhD Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, 2014.
- Koller M, Arnetzl GV, Holly L, Arnetzl G. Lava ultimate resin nano ceramic for CAD/ CAM: customization case study. Int J Comput Dent. 2012; 15(2):159-64.
- Mormann WH, Stawarczyk B, Ender A, Sener B, Attin T, Mehl A. Wear characteristics of current aesthetic dental restorative CAD/CAM materials two-body wear, g loss r etention, r oughness a nd Martens hardness. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 2013;20:113-25.
- Kilinc H, Turgut S. Optical behaviors of esthetic CAD-CAM restorations after different surface finishing and polishing procedures and UV aging: An in vitro study. J Prosthet Dent. 2018;120(1):107- 13.
- Tekçe N, Fidan S, Tuncer S, Kara D, Demirci M. The effect of glazing and aging on the surface properties of CAD/CAM resin blocks. J Adv Prosthodont. 2018;10(1):50-7.
- Abu-Obaid A, AlMawash A, Alyabis N, Alzaaqi N. An in vitro evaluation of the effect of polishing on the stainability of different CAD/CAM ceramic materials. Saudi Dent J. 2020;32(3):135-41.
- Özarslan MM, Büyükkaplan UŞ, Barutcigil Ç, Arslan M, Türker N, Barutcigil K. Effects of different surface finishing procedures on the change in surface roughness and color of a polymer infiltrated ceramic network material. J Adv Prosthodont. 2016;8(1):16-20
- Aldosari LI, Alshadidi AA, Porwal A, Al Ahmari NM, Al Moaleem MM, Suhluli AM, et al Surface roughness and color measurements of glazed or polished hybrid, feldspathic, and Zirconia CAD/ CAM restorative materials after hot and cold coffee immersion. BMC Oral Health. 2021;;21(1):422.
- Oliveira-Junior OB, Buso L, Fujiy FH, Lombardo GH, Campos F, Sarmento HR, et al. Influence of polishing procedures on the surface roughness of dental ceramics made by different techniques. Gen Dent. 2013;61(1):e4-8.
- Flury S, Peutzfeldt A, Lussi A. Inf luence of surface roughness on mechanical properties of two computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) ceramic materials. Oper Dent. 2012;37:617-24.
- McLean, JW. The science and art of dental ceramics. A collection of monographs. Louisiana State University. School of Dentistry, Continuing Education Programme, 1974.
- Wiley MG. Effects of porcelain on occluding surface of restored teeth. J Prosthet Dent. 1989; 61:133-7.
- Rosenstiel SF, Baiker MA, Johnston WM. A comparison of glazed and polished dental porcelain. Int J Prosthodont. 1989;2:524-9.
- Bollen C ML, L ambrechts P , Q uir ynen M . Comparison of surface roughness of oral hard materials to the threshold surface roughness for bacterial plaque retention: a review of the literature. Dent Mater. 1997;13:258–69.
- Al-Wahadni A. An in vitro investigation into the surface roughness of 2 glazed, unglazed, and refinished ceramic materials. Quintessence Int. 2006;37:311– 17.
- Tholt B, Miranda-Júnior WG, Prioli R, Thompson J, Oda M. Surface roughness in ceramics with different finishing techniques using atomic force microscope and profilometer. Oper Dent. 2006;31:442–9.
- Çökük N. Tam seramik sistemlerine uygulanan farklı polisaj metotlarının yüzey pürüzlülüğüne etkisinin incelenmesi. Ataturk Univ. Dis Hek. Fak. Derg. Cilt:19, Sayı: 2, Yıl: 2009, Sayfa: 98-104.
- Flury S, Diebold E, Peutzfeldt A, Lussi A. Effect of artificial toothbrushing and water storage on the surface roughness and micromechanical properties of tooth-colored CAD-CAM materials. J Prosthet Dent. 2017;117:767-74.
- Dogheim AY, El Kady AS, Ghoneim MM, Maha A. Abdelmotie MA. In vitro comparative study of Lava Ultımate CAD/CAM restorative system in comparison to IPS E-max Press. Alexandria Dental Journal. 2016;41:156-62.
- Whitehead SA, Shearer AC, Watts DC, Wilson NH. Comparison of two stylus methods for measuring surface texture. Dent Mater. 1999;15(2):79-86
Akan, E., Colgecen, O., Meşe, I. T., & Bağiş, B. Effects of Different Finishing Procedures on Surface Roughness of Hybrid CAD/CAM Materials. J Dent Indones. 2021;28(3): 185-191
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons