The relationship between facial measurements and the size of the maxillary anterior teeth in the Malaysian population is still a point of contention. Objective: The purpose of this study was to establish a relationship between facial measurements and the mesiodistal width of the maxillary anterior teeth (MDW), which could be used to guide the selection of anterior teeth for complete denture construction. Methods: The facial and dental measurements were obtained directly from 170 Malay adults aged between 19 to 35 who had morphologically normal permanent maxillary anterior teeth from canine to canine. The facial dimensions measured were interpupillary distance (IPD), intercanthal distance (ICD) and interalar distance (IAD). The facial dimensions were measured using a digital vernier calliper while the mesiodistal width of the maxillary anterior teeth was measured with a flexible ruler. The three facial dimensions were correlated with MDW for both genders. Results:The IPD and IAD were significantly (p>0.001) larger in males (IPD: 68.30±4.24mm; IAD: 39.60±2.54mm) than in females (IPD: 65.93±3.91mm; IAD: 36.96±2.29). There was no significant correlation between any of the facial dimensions and MDW in males or females. Conclusion: For the studied population, the interpupillary, intercanthal, and interalar distances may not be used as reliable guides when determining the size of maxillary anterior teeth in complete denture construction.
- Hasan AS, Qadir AQ, Habeeb SH, Kazanji M. Relation of maxillary central incisors width to some facial measurements. J Oral Dent Res. 2017;4(2):93-101.
- Kassab NH. The selection of maxillary anterior teeth width in relation to facial measurements at different types of face form. Al-Rafidain Dent J. 2005;1:15-23.
- Thalib B, Saputri A. Correlation between interalar width and intercommisural width against mesiodistal width of central upper incisor in buginese tribe. J Dentomaxillofac Sci. 2016;1(1):23-9.
- Isa ZM, Tawfiq OF, Noor NM, Shamsudheen MI, Rijal OM. Regression methods to investigate the relationship between facial measurements and widths of the maxillary anterior teeth. J Prosthet Dent. 2010;103(3):182-8.
- Ellakwa A, McNamara K, Sandhu J, James K, Arora A, Klineberg I, et al. Quantifying the selection of maxillary anterior teeth using intraoral and extraoral anatomical landmarks. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2011;12(6):414-21.
- Gomes VL, Goncalves LC, Bernardino-Junior R, Lucas BL. Cor relation between facial measurements and the mesiodistal width of the maxillary anterior teeth. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2006;18(4):196-205.
- Jain AR, Nallaswamy D, Ariga P. Determination of correlation of width of maxillary anterior teeth with extraoral factor (interpupillary width) in Indian population. J Clin Diagn Res. 2019;13(7):10-7.
- Kumar KA, Gupta SH, Sandhu HS. Determination of mesiodistal width of maxillary anterior teeth using inner canthal distance. Med J Armed Forces India. 2014;71(2):376-81.
- Sayed ME, Porwal A, Al-Faraj NA, Bajonaid AM, Sumayli HA. Evaluation of the current techniques and introduction of a novel approach for estimating maxillary anterior teeth dimensions. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2017;18(7):541-8.
- Bonakdarchian M, Ghorbanipour R. Relationship between width of maxillary anterior teeth and interalar distance. Dent Anthropol J. 2010;23(2):53- 6.
- Hoffman JW, Bomberg TJ, Hatch RA. Interalar width as a guide in denture tooth selection. J Prosthet Dent. 1986;55(2):219-21.
- Parciak EC, Dahiya AT, AlRumaih HS, Kattadiyil MT, Baba NZ, Goodacre CJ. Comparison of maxillary anterior tooth width and facial dimensions of 3 ethnicities. J Prosthet Dent. 2017;118(4):504-10.
- Deogade SC, Mantri SS, Sumathi K, Rajoriya S. The relationship between innercanthal dimension and interalar width to the intercanine width of maxillary anterior teeth in central Indian population. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2015;15(2):91-7.
- Baleegh S, Choudhry Z, Malik S, Baleegh H. The relationship between widths of upper anterior teeth and facial widths. Pak Oral Dent J. 2015;35(4):742- 56.
- Al-el-Sheikh HM, al-Athel MS. The relationship of interalar width, interpupillary width and maxillary anterior teeth width in Saudi population. Odontostomatol Trop. 1998;21(84):7-10.
- Liao P, Fan Y, Nathanson D. Evaluation of maxillary anterior teeth width: a systematic review. J Prosthet Dent. 2019;122(3):275-81.
- Tripathi S, Aeran H, Yadav S, Singh SP, Singh RD, Chand P. Canine tip marker: a simplified tool for measuring intercanine distance. J Prosthodont. 2011;20(5):391-8.
- Attokaran G, Shenoy K. Correlation between innercanthal distance and mesiodistal width of maxillary anterior teeth in a Thrissur, Kerala, India, population. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2016;17(5):382-7.
- Saldaña-Carranza V, Carruitero MJ. Relationship between the inner intercanthal distance and the mesiodistal dimension of maxillary anterior teeth in a Peruvian population with facial harmony. J Oral Res. 2019;8(6):450-4.
- Cohen, J. A power primer. Psychol. Bull. 1992;112:155–159
- Cesario VA, Latta GH. Relationship between the mesiodistal width of the maxillary central incisor and interpupillary distance. J Prosthet Dent. 1984;52(5):641-3.
- Joneidi Jafari H, Radmehr O, Kaviani R, Valaei N. The analysis of correlation between facial width and mesiodistal width of maxillary anterior teeth. J Res Dent Maxillofac Sci. 2014;11(1):50-4.
- AL-Kaisy N, Garib BT. Selecting maxillary anterior tooth width by measuring certain facial dimensions in the Kurdish population. J Prosthet Dent. 2016;115(3):329-34.
- Filipović T. Changes in the interpupillary distance (IPD) with ages and its effect on the near convergence/distance (nc/d) ratio. Coll Antropol. 2003;27(2):723-7.
- Attokaran G, Shenoy K. Correlation between interalar distance and mesiodistal width of maxillary anterior teeth in a Thrissur, Kerala, India population. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2018;8(2):118-23.
- Dwivedi A, Yadav NS, Mishra SK. Inter-canthal and inter-alar distance as a predictor of width of maxillary central and lateral incisor - an in vivo study. Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2017;7:276-9.
- Townsend GC, Brown T. Heritability of permanent tooth size. Am J Phys Anthropol. 1978;49(4):497- 504.
Aziz, N., Che Mohd, N., Baharuddin, I., Rajali, A., Lim, T., Tan, S., & Ahmad, R. The Relationship of Facial Measurements with the Mesiodistal Width of the Maxillary Anterior Teeth. J Dent Indones. 2021;28(3): 158-162