Objectives: The purpose of this study was to compare high viscosity glass ionomer cement (HVGIC), giomer and microhybrid composite using the atomic force microscopy (AFM) and Vickers microhardness. Methods: Three different restorative materials Equia Forte (HVGIC), Beautifil II (giomer) and Solare X (microhybrid composite) were used in this study. A total of 30 samples were prepared, 10 of each of the restorative materials used in our study. Samples were prepared using standard cylindrical Teflon molds with a diameter of 8 mm and a height of 2 mm. The measurements of surface roughness and hardness were performed by using AFM and Vickers microhardness, respectively. The surface roughness was analyzed using the Kruskal Wallis test. One-way variance analysis (ANOVA) and LSD test was used for the surface hardness (α = 0.05). Results: There was no significant difference between the groups according to surface roughness values (p> 0.05). A statistically significant difference was found between all groups in terms of surface hardness. Conclusion: Reinforced glass ionomer cements had similar and surface properties than composite resin.
- Erdemir U, Yildiz E, Eren MM, Ozsoy A, Topcu FT. Effects of polishing systems on the surface roughness of tooth-colored materials. J Dent Sci. 2013;8(2):160-9.
- Hamouda IM. Effects of various beverages on hardness, roughness, and solubility of esthetic restorative materials. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2011;23(5):315-22.
- Kumari CM, Bhat KM, Bansal R. Evaluation of surface roughness of different restorative composites after polishing using atomic force microscopy. J Conserv Dent. 2016;19(1):56-62.
- Erdemir U, Yildiz E, Eren MM, Ozel S. Surface hardness evaluation of different composite resin materials: influence of sports and energy drinks immersion after a short-term period. J Appl Oral Sci. 2013;21:124-31.
- Yanıkoğlu ND, Sakarya RE. Test methods used in the evaluation of the structure features of the restorative materials: A literature review. J Mater Res Technol. 2020;9(5):9720-34.
- Najeeb S, Khurshid Z, Zafar MS, Khan AS, Zohaib S, Martí JMN, et al. Modifications in glass ionomer cements: nano-sized fillers and bioactive nanoceramics. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17(7):1134.
- Kielbassa AM, Oehme EP, Shakavets N, Wolgin M. In vitro wear of (resin-coated) high-viscosity glass ionomer cements and glass hybrid restorative systems. J Dent. 2021;105:103554.
- Colceriu Burtea L, Prejmerean C, Prodan D, Baldea I, Vlassa M, Filip M, et al. New pre-reacted glass containing dental composites (giomers) with improved fluoride release and biocompatibility. Mater. 2019;12(23):4021.
- Ikemura K, Tay FR, Endo T, Pashley DH. A review of chemical-approach and ultramorphological studies on the development of fluoride-releasing dental adhesives comprising new pre-reacted glass ionomer (PRG) fillers. Dent Mater J. 2008;27(3):315-39.
- Erdemir U, Yıldız E, Eren MM. Effects of sports drinks on color stability of nanofilled and microhybrid composites after long-term immersion. J Dent. 2012;40:e55-e63.
- Giacomelli L, Derchi G, Frustaci A, Bruno O, Covani U, Barone A, et al. Surface roughness of commercial composites after different polishing protocols: an analysis with atomic force microscopy. Open Dent J. 2010;4:191.
- Dutra D, Pereira G, Kantorski K, Valandro L, Zanatta F. Does finishing and polishing of restorative materials affect bacterial adhesion and biofilm formation? A systematic review. Oper Dent. 2018;43(1):E37-E52.
- Al-Angari SS, Hara AT, Chu T-M, Platt J, Eckert G, Cook NB. Physicomechanical properties of a zinc-reinforced glass ionomer restorative material. J Oral Sci. 2014;56(1):11-6.
- de Sousa Barbosa RP, Pereira-Cenci T, da Silva WM, Coelho-de-Souza FH, Demarco FF, Cenci MS. Effect of cariogenic biofilm challenge on the surface hardness of direct restorative materials in situ. J Dent. 2012;40(5):359-63.
- Yap AU, Yap SH, Teo CK, Ng JJ. Comparison of surface finish of new aesthetic restorative materials. Oper Dent. 2004;29(1):100-4.
- Bonifácio CC, Werner A, Kleverlaan CJ. Coating glass-ionomer cements with a nanofilled resin. Acta Odontol Scand. 2012;70(6):471-7.
- Kielbassa AM, Glockner G, Wolgin M, Glockner K. Systematic review on highly viscous glass-ionomer cement/resin coating restorations (Part II): Do they merge Minamata Convention and minimum intervention dentistry? Quintessence Int. 2017;48(1):9-18.
- Perez CdR, Hirata Jr R, Silva A, Sampaio E, Miranda M. Effect of a glaze/composite sealant on the 3-D surface roughness of esthetic restorative materials. Oper Dent. 2009;34(6):674-80.
- Yarimizu H, Sakuma T, Akahane S, Hirota K, editors. Wear properties of experimental MFR composite (NGD220) for posterior restoration. J Dent Res 2002, 81: 174.
- Valinoti AC, Neves BG, Silva EMd, Maia LC. Surface degradation of composite resins by acidic medicines and pH-cycling. J Appl Oral Sci. 2008;16(4):257-65.
- Kielbassa AM, Glockner G, Wolgin M, Glockner K. Systematic review on highly viscous glass-ionomer cement/resin coating restorations (Part I): Do they merge Minamata Convention and minimum intervention dentistry? Quintessence Int. 2016;47(10):813-23.
- Moshaverinia M, Navas A, Jahedmanesh N, Shah KC, Moshaverinia A, Ansari S. Comparative evaluation of the physical properties of a reinforced glass ionomer dental restorative material. J Prosthet Dent. 2019;122(2):154-9.
- Vijaya n M, R ajend ra n R , Sreevatsa n R. Comparative evaluation of microhardness between giomer, compomer, composite and resin-modified GIC. Int Dent J Student Res. 2020;6(3):61-5.
- Kooi T, Tan Q, Yap A, Guo W, Tay K, Soh M. Effects of food-simulating liquids on surface properties of giomer restoratives. Oper Dent. 2012;37(6):665-71.
- Blackham JT, Vandewalle KS, Lien W. Properties of hybrid resin composite systems containing prepolymerized filler particles. Oper Dent. 2009;34(6):697-702.
- Sever EK, Simenc N, Rakic M, Skenderovic H, Sever I, Tarle Z. Effects of bleaching agent on physical and aesthetic properties of restorative materials. Dent Mater J. 2016;35(5):788-95.
- Faraji F, Heshmat H, Banava S. Effect of protective coating on microhardness of a new glass ionomer cement: Nanofilled coating versus unfilled resin. J Conserv Dent. 2017;20(4):260-3.
- Bagheri R, Taha N, Azar M, Burrow M. Effect of G-Coat Plus on the mechanical properties of glass-ionomer cements. Aust Dent J. 2013;58(4):448-53.
- Ghazal M, Kern M. The influence of antagonistic surface roughness on the wear of human enamel and nanofilled composite resin artificial teeth. J Prosthet Dent. 2009;101(5):342-9.
- Wongkhantee S, Patanapiradej V, Maneenut C, Tantbirojn D. Effect of acidic food and drinks on surface hardness of enamel, dentine, and tooth-coloured filling materials. J Dent. 2006;34(3):214- 20.
- Cuy JL, Mann AB, Livi KJ, Teaford MF, Weihs TP. Nanoindentation mapping of the mechanical properties of human molar tooth enamel. Arch Oral Biol. 2002;47(4):281-91.
- Yazkan B, Ermis RB. Effect of resin infiltration and microabrasion on the microhardness, surface roughness and morphology of incipient carious lesions. Acta Odontol Scand. 2018;76(7):473-81.
- Erdur EA, Akın M, Cime L, İleri Z. Evaluation of enamel surface roughness after various finishing techniques for debonding of orthodontic brackets. Turk J Orthod. 2016;29(1):1-5.
- Abdelmegid F. Effect of deproteinization before and after acid etching on the surface roughness of immature permanent enamel. Niger J Clin Pract. 2018;21(5):591-6.
- Abreu LG, Paiva SM, Pretti H, Lages EMB, Júnior JBN, Ferreira RAN. Comparative study of the effect of acid etching on enamel surface roughness between pumiced and non-pumiced teeth. J Int Oral Health. 2015;7(9):1-6.
Karakaş, S., Turgut, H., & Küden, C. Comparison of Surface Roughness and Microhardness of Reinforced Glass Ionomer Cements and Microhybrid Composite. J Dent Indones. 2021;28(3): 131-138