Objectives: This study aims to evaluate the relationship between the morphological variations of Sella Turcica (ST) and dental anomalies.
Methods: This study included 765 individuals between the ages of 13 and 35. ST morphology was examined in 3 groups as no calcification, partially calcified and completely calcified according to the interclinoid ligament (ICL) on lateral cephalometric films, and it was examined and evaluated in terms of its relationship to impacted canines (unilateral and bilateral), impacted teeth (except 3rd molars), root dilaceration, tooth deficiency (upper incisor lateral - lower and upper second premolar), supernumerary tooth and taurodontism.
Results: The rates of supernumerary teeth, lateral and premolar tooth deficiency and root dilaceration in total calcification of ICL were significantly higher than those in ICL with no calcification. The rates of taurodontism, unilateral and bilateral impacted canine teeth and impacted teeth in ICL with no calcification were found to be significantly lower than those in the partial and total calcification of ICL.
Conclusion: In this study, a statistically significant relationship was found between ST morphology and dental anomalies. Examination of sella turcica bridging (STB) variations in a large population will be guiding for the early detection of dental anomalies.
- Tekiner H, Acer N, Kelestimur F. Sella turcica: an anatomical, endocrinological, and historical perspective. Pituitary. 2015;18(4):575-8.
- Ghaida JA, Mistareehi AJ, Mustafa AG, Mistarihi SMA, Ghozlan HH. The normal dimensions of the sella turcica in Jordanians: a study on lateral cephalograms. Folia Morphologica. 2017; 6(1):1-9.
- Afrand M, Ling CP, Khosrotehrani S, Flores-Mir C, Lagravère-Vich MO. Anterior cranial-base time-related changes: a systematic review. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014; 146(1):21-32.
- Shah A, Bashir U, Ilyas T. The shape and size of the sella turcica in skeletal class I, II & III in patients presenting at Islamic International Dental Hospital, Islamabad. Pakistan oral & dental journal. 2011;31(1).
- Kjaer I. Sella turcica morphology and the pituitary gland— a new contribution to craniofacial diagnostics based on histology and neuroradiology. Eur J Orthod. 2015; 37(1):28-36.
- 6. Sathyanarayana HP, Kailasam V, Chitharanjan AB. Sella turcica-Its importance in orthodontics and craniofacial mor phology. Dent Res J. 2013;10(5):571-5.
- Kjær I. Location of anterior pituitary gland tissue is interrelated with sella turcica morphology in human fetuses-review and perspective. 2017
- Dadgar S, Alimohamadi M, Rajabi N, Rakhshan V, Sobouti F. Associations among palatal impaction of canine, sella turcica bridging, and ponticulus posticus (atlas arcuate foramen). Surg Radiol Anat. 2021;43(1): 93-9.
- Lee JH, Lee DS, Choung HW, Shon WJ, Seo BM, Lee EH, et al. Odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells induced by preameloblast-derived factors. Biomaterials. 2011; 32(36):9696-706.
- Kucia A, Jankowski T, Siewniak M, Janiszewska- Olszowska J, Grocholewicz K, Szych Z, et al. Sella turcica anomalies on lateral cephalometric radiographs of Polish children. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2014;43(8):20140165.
- Kjær I. Mechanism of human tooth eruption: review article including a new theory for future studies on the eruption process. Scientifica; 2014:341905.
- Bavbek NC, Dincer M. Dimensions and morphologic variations of sella turcica in type 1 diabetic patients. J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014;145(2):179-87.
- Valizadeh S, Shahbeig S, Mohseni S, Azimi F, Bakhshandeh H. Correlation of shape and size of sella turcica with the type of facial skeletal class in an Iranian group. Iran J Radiol. 2015;12(3):e16059.
- Scriante A, Sfondrini MF, Cassani M. Sella turcica bridging and dental anomalies: is there an association? Int J Paediatr Dent. 2017;27(6):568–73.
- Najim AA, Al-Nakib L. A cephalometric study of sella turcica size and morphology among young Iraqi normal population in comparison to patients with maxillary malposed canine. J Baghdad Coll Dent. 2011; 23(4):53-6.
- Korayem M, Alkofide E. Size and shape of the sella turcica in subjects with Down syndrome. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2015;18(1):43–50.
- Leonardi R, Barbato E, Vichi M. A sella turcica bridge in subjects with dental anomalies. Eur J Orthod. 2006;28(6):580–5.
- Leonardi R, Farella M, Cobourne MT. An association between sella turcica bridging and dental transposition. Eur J Orthod. 2011; 33(4):461- 5.
- Sathyanarayana HP, Kailasam V, Chitharanjan AB. The size and morphology of sella turcica in different skeletal patterns among South Indian population: a lateral cephalometric study. J Indian Orthod Soc. 2013;47(4_suppl1):266-71.
- Gopalakrishnan U, Mahendra L, Rangarajan S, Madasamy R, Ibrahim M. The enigma behind pituitary and sella turcica. Case Rep Dent. 2015;2015:954347.
- Auer MK, Stieg MR, Crispin A, Sievers C, Stalla GK, Kopczak A. Primary empty sella syndrome and the prevalence of hormonal dysregulation: a systematic review. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2018;115(7):99-105.
- Natsis K, Piagkou M, Lazaridis N, Totlis T, Anastasopoulos N, Constantinidis J. Incidence and morphometry of sellar bridges and related foramina in dry skulls: their significance in middle cranial fossa surgery. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2018;46(4):635-44.
- Hoekzema E, Barba-Müller E, Pozzobon C, Picado M, Lucco F, García-García D, et al. Pregnancy leads to long-lasting changes in human brain structure. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20(2):287-96.
- Gibelli D, Cellina M, Gibelli S, Panzeri M, Oliva AG, Termine G, et al. Sella turcica bridging and ossified carotico-clinoid ligament: correlation with sex and age. Neuroradiol J. 2018;31(3):299-304.
- Ahmed F, Brooks SL, Kapila SD. Efficacy of identifying maxillofacial lesions in cone-beam computed tomographs by orthodontists and orthodontic residents with third-party software. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop.2012;141(4):451-9.
- Lalli MA, Jang J, Park JHC, Wang Y, Guzman E , Z hou H, et al. Haploi nsuf f iciency of BAZ1B contributes to Williams syndrome through t ranscr iptional dysregulation of neurodevelopmental pathways. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25(7):1294-1306.
- Karaman A, Buy uk SK, Yasa Y, Genc E. Association between sella turcica morphology and obesity in adolescents. J Dent Indones. 2018;25(1):6-10.
- Magat G, Sener SO. Morphometric analysis of the sella turcica in Turkish individuals with different dentofacial skeletal patterns. Folia Morpholol. 2018; 7(3):543-50.
- Tang JY, Mackay-Wiggan JM, Aszterbaum M, Yauch RL, Lindgren J, Chang K, et al. Inhibiting the hedgehog pathway in patients with the basal-cell nevus syndrome. N Engl J Med.2012;366(23):2180-8.
- Ponti G, Ruini C, Pastorino L, Loschi P, Pecchi A, Malagoli M, Tomasi A. Skeletal and cranio-facial signs in Gorlin syndrome from ancient Egypt to the modern age: sphenoid asymmetry in a patient with a novel PTCH1 mutation. Future Oncol. 2014;10(6):917-25.
- Kjær I. Dental approach to craniofacial syndromes: how can developmental fields show us a new way to understand pathogenesis?.Int J Dent. 2012:145749.
- Divya S, Urala AS, Prasad GL. Sella turcica bridging a diagnostic marker for impacted canines and supernumerary teeth. J Int Oral Health. 2018;10(2):94-8.
- Alqahtani H. Association between sella turcica bridging and congenitally missing maxillary lateral incisors. J Dent Sci. 2019;07:004.
- Haji Ghadimi M, Amini F, Hamedi S. Associations among Sella turcica bridging, atlas arcuate foramen (Ponticulus posticus) development, atlas posterior arch deficiency, and the occurrence of palatally displaced canine impaction. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2017;151(3):51320.
- Ali B, Shaihk A, Fida M. Association between sella turcica bridging and palatal canine impaction. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014;146(4):437-41.
- Coşk un İ, Kaya B. Cone beam computed tomography in orthodontics. Turk J Orthod. 2018;31(2):55-61.
Karaman, A., cigerim, s. c., & Kechagia, N. Evaluation of the Relationship between Sella Turcica Bridging and Dental Anomalies. J Dent Indones. 2021;28(2): 76-81
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons