Numerous studies have been conducted on the effect of various beverages on the mechanical properties of tooth-colored materials, however, little is known about the effects of these materials on composites, particularly newer types such as nanocomposites.
Objectives: This study aimed to evaluate the surface microhardness of two types of composites, micro-hybrid (point 4) and nanohybrid (premise), after exposure to natural and industrial juices.
Methods: In this experimental study, 90 disc-shaped specimens with a thickness of 2 mm and a diameter of 10 mm were taken from two composites, micro-hybrid Point4 (Kerr) and nanohybrid premise (kerr) (two groups of 45). Then, the specimens of each group were divided into 5 subgroups of 9 and were immersed for 7 days for 6 hours in 5 solutions of industrial orange juice, natural orange juice, industrial pomegranate juice, natural pomegranate juice, and distilled water (control group). Surface microhardness of specimens was measured by Vickers device at baseline, one day and one week after immersing. Data was measured by ANOVA, repeated measure test, and independent t-test. A significant level of α was 0.05.
Results: The surface microhardness of two types of composites exposed to beverages was reduced significantly. However, no significant difference was found between natural and industrial juices in none of the composites.
Conclusions: Natural and industrial juices can affect the surface microhardness of composites, which varies depending on the type of composite and the type of juice and immersion time.
- Arora A, Manohar N, Rufus J. Factors associated with dental caries in primary dentition in a non-fluoridated rural community of New South Wales, Australia. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14(12):1444.
- Ajami B, Abachizadeh H, Shafieyan R, Aminifar S. Evaluation of microleakage in pulpotomized primary molars restored with Core max II: an in vitro study. Journal of Mashhad Dental School. 2012;36(3):231-8.
- Wongkhantee S, Patanapiradej V, Maneenut C, Tantbirojn D. Effect of acidic food and drinks on surface hardness of enamel, dentine, and toothcoloured filling materials. J Dent. 2006;34(3):214- 20.
- de Moraes RR, Marimon JL, Schneider LF, Sinhoreti MA, Correr-Sobrinho L, Bueno M. Effects of 6 months of aging in water on hardness and surface roughness of two microhybrid dental composites. J Prosthodont. 2008;17(4):323-6.
- Mazaheri R, Malekipour M, Seddighi H, Sekhavati H. Effect of common drinks in children on the color stability of microhybrid and nanohybrid composites. Journal of Mashhad Dental School. 2013;37(2):163-76.
- Güler AU, Duran I, Yücel AÇ, Özkan P. Effects of air-polishing powders on color stability of composite resins. J Appl Oral Sci. 2011;19(5):505-10.
- Briso AL, Caruzo LP, Guedes AP, Catelan A, dos Santos PH. In vitro evaluation of surface roughness and microhardness of restorative materials submitted to erosive challenges. Oper Dent. 2011;36(4):397-402.
- Okada K, Tosaki S, Hirota K, Hume WR. Surface hardness change of restorative filling materials stored in saliva. Dent Mater. 2001;17(1):34-9.
- Aliping‐McKenzie M, Linden R, Nicholson J. The effect of Coca‐Cola and fruit juices on the surface hardness of glass–ionomers and ‘compomers’. J Oral Rehabil. 2004;31(11):1046-52.
- Ehlen LA, Marshall TA, Qian F, Wefel JS, Warren JJ. Acidic beverages increase the risk of in vitro tooth erosion. Nutr Res. 2008;28(5):299-303.
- Khamverdi Z, Yarmohammadi E, Kasraei S, Khazaei M. In vitro comparison of the effect cola beverage on surface hardness of siloran-based (p90) and methyl methacrylate-based (p60) composites. Avicenna J Clin Med. 2016;23(3):207- 13.
- Abu-Bakr N, Han L, Okamoto A, Iwaku M. Changes in the mechanical properties and surface texture of compomer immersed in various media. J Prosthet Dent. 2000;84(4):444-52.
- McKenzie MA, Linden RW, Nicholson JW. The physical properties of conventional and resinmodified glass-ionomer dental cements stored in saliva, proprietary acidic beverages, saline and water. Biomaterials. 2003;24(22):4063-9.
- Hashemikamangar SS, Pourhashemi SJ, Talebi M, Kiomarsi N, Kharazifard MJ. Effect of organic acids in dental biofilm on microhardness of a silorane-based composite. Restor Dent Endod.2015;40(3):188-94.
- Hashemikamangar S, Zeynaddini meymand M, K harazifard M J. S urface m icrohardness of a self-adhesive composite in comparison with conventional composite resins. Dent Med Probl.2020; 57(3):247-53
- Poggio C, Viola M, Mirando M, Chiesa M, Beltrami R, Colombo M. Microhardness of different esthetic restorative materials: evaluation and comparison after exposure to acidic drink. Dent Res J 2018;15(3):166.
- Okte Z, Villata P Garcia-Godoy F, Lu H, Power JM. Surface hardness of resin composited after staining and bleaching. Operative Dent 2006;31(5):623-28.
- Bechtold J, Dos Santos PJ, Anido-Anido A, Di Hipolito V, Alonso RC, D’Alpino PH. Hardness, polymerization depth, and internal adaptation of Class II silorane composite restorations as a function of polymerization protocol. Eur J Dent. 2012;6(2):133-40.
- Kim KH, Ong JL, Okuno O. The effect of filler loading and morphology on the mechanical properties of contemporary composites. J Prosthet Dent. 2002;87(6):642-649.
- Ahmadizenouz G, Esmaeili B, Khorshidi S, Khafri S. Effect of energy drinks on microhardness of silorane and dimethacrylate-based composite resins. Casp J Dent Res. 2017;6(2):35-43.
- Badra VV, Faraoni JJ, Ramos RP, Palma-Dibb RG. Inf luence of different beverages on the microhardness and surface roughness of resin composites. Oper Dent. 2005;30(2):213-9.
- Erdemir U, Yildiz E, Eren MM, Ozel S. Surface hardness of different restorative materials after long-term immersion in sports and energy drinks. Dent Mater J. 2012;31(5):729-36.
- Tanthanuch S, Kukiattrakoon B, Siriporananon C, Ornprasert N, Mettasitthikorn W, Likhitpreeda S, et al. The effect of different beverages on surface hardness of nanohybrid resin composite and giomer. J Conserv Dent. 2014;17(3):261-65.
- Wang D, Ozen C, Abu-Reidah IM, Chigurupati S, Patra JK, Horbanczuk JO, et al. Vasculoprotective effects of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.). Front Pharmacol. 2018;9:544.
- Fatima N, Hussain M. Effect of two different commonly available energy drinks on surface micro hardness of tooth color restorative materials. J Res Dent. 2014;2(3):269-76.
- Yesilyurt C, Yoldas O, Altintas SH, Kusgoz A. Effects of food-simulating liquids on the mechanical properties of a silorane-based dental composite. Dent Mater J. 2009;28(3):362-67.
- Mathew S, Luke AM, Walia T, Masri AG, Jamal H, Pawar AM. Effect of fruit juices and other beverages on loss of tooth structure. Pesq Bras Odontoped Clin Integr. 2018;18(1):e3888.
- Erdemir U, Yildiz E, Eren MM, Ozel S. Surface hardness evaluation of different composite resin materials: influence of sports and energy drinks immersion after a short-term period. J Appl Oral Sci. 2013;21(2):124-31.
- de Moraes RR, Goncalves Lde S, Lancellotti AC, Consani S, Correr-Sobrinho L, Sinhoreti MA. Nanohybrid resin composites: nanofiller loaded materials or traditional microhybrid resins? Oper Dent. 2009;34(5):551-57.
- Scribante A, Massironi S, Pieraccini G, Vallittu P, Lassila L, Sfondrini MF, Gandini P. Effects of nanofillers on mechanical properties of fiberreinforced composites polymerized with lightcuring and additional postcuring. J Appl Biomater Funct Mater. 2015;13(3):e296-99.
- Pieniak D, Przystupa K, Walczak A, Niewczas AM, Krzyzak A, Bartnik G, Gil L, Lonkwic P. Hydrothermal fatigue of polymer matrix composite biomaterials. Materials (Basel). 2019;12(22):3650.
- Scribante A, Vallittu P, Lassila LVJ, Viola A, Tessera P, Gandini P, Sfondrini MF. Effect of longterm brushing on deflection, maximum load, and wear of stainless steel wires and conventional and spot bonded fiber-reinforced composites. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(23):6043.
Meshki, R., & Hoseini, H. Effect of Natural and Industrial Juices on Surface Microhardness of Microhybrid and Nanohybrid Composites. J Dent Indones. 2021;28(2): 63-69
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons