Anti-cardiolipin (anti-CL) antibodies are autoantibodies which are directed against cell membrane phospholipids. A significant number of periodontitis patients showed positive for anti-CL antibody. Objective: This study aimed to determine the periodontal parameters and anti-CL antibodies levels before and after non-surgical periodontal therapy in chronic periodontitis. Methods: This cross-sectional study had been carried out at Periodontal Clinic, Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia. Thirty five chronic periodontitis (CP) and 39 non-periodontitis (NP) patients underwent clinical periodontal examination at baseline. Plaque index (PI), gingival index (GI), periodontal pocket depth (PPD), and clinical attachment loss (CAL) were measured. Scaling and polishing was performed and blood samples were taken for IgG and IgM anti-CL antibodies analysis. Re-evaluationwas performed four weeks after initial therapy. CP patients were re-examined, all periodontal parameters were recorded and blood samples were taken for reassessment of IgG and IgM anti-CL antibodies. Results: Significant difference means of PI(p=0.001), GI (p=0.000), PPD (p=0.000) and, CAL (p=0.000) were found between CP and NP groups. All periodontal parameters were significantly reduced (p≤0.05) after four weeks of therapy. The mean levels of IgG and IgM anti-CL antibodies at baseline were significantly higher in CP than NP group (IgG=4.46 vs 3.22, p=0.002; IgM=3.28 vs 2.57, p=0.019). No significant difference of the median levels of IgG (p=0.82) and IgM anti-CL antibodies (p=0.35) following therapy. Conclusion: All periodontal parameters were significantly reduced following periodontal therapy. Higher level of Anti-CL antibodies in CP indicates stimulation of autoantibodies production by periodontal infection. Nonetheless no significant changes of this anti-CL antibodies levels despite significant reduction of the clinical parameters after periodontal therapy.
1. Shen X, Liu D, Lin Y, Zhu YZ, Lin LR, Tong ML, et al. The characteristics of beta glycoprotein I-dependent anticardiolipin antibody and blood coagulation status in subjects with classical biological false-positive syphilis reaction. Int Immunopharmacol. 2018; 62:132-8.
2. Schenkein HA, Thomas RR. Anticardiolipin (aCL) in sera from periodontitis subjects activate Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4). PLOS ONE. 2018; 13(9):e0203494.
3. Chaston R, Sabatini R, Koertge TE, Brooks CN, Schenkein HA. Serum Anticardiolipin concent rat ions in pat ients with chronic periodontitis following scaling and root planing. Journal of Periodontology. 2014; 85(5):683-7.
4. Flemmig TF. Periodontitis . Annals of Periodontology. 1999; 4(1):32-8.
5. Mullhal H, Huck O, Amar S. Porphyromonas Gingivalis, a Long-Range Pathogen: Systemic Impact and Therapeutic Implications . Microorganisms. 2020; 8(6):869.
6. Schenkein H A, Sabatini R, Koer tge TE, Brooks CN, Purkall DB. Anti-cardiolipin from periodontitis patients induces MCP-1 production by human umbilical vein. J Clin Periodontol. 2013; 40(3):212-7.
7. Martirosyan A , Aminov R , Manukyan G. Environmental Triggers of Autoreactive Response: Induction of Antiphospholipid Antibody Formation. Front. Immunol. 2019; 01609.
8. Tew J, El Shikh M, El Sayed R, Schenkein H. Dendritic cells, antibodies reactive with oxLDL, and inflammation. Journal of Dental Research. 2012; 91(1):8-16.
9. Tanwar J, Hungund SA, Dodani K, Nonsurgical periodontal therapy: A Review. Journal of Oral Research and Review. 2016; 8(1):39-44.
10. Lamont T, Worthington HV, Clarkson JE, Beirne PV, Cochrane Oral Health Group. Routine scale and polish for periodontal health in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 12:CD 004625.
11. Newman M, Takei H, Klokkevold P, Carranza F. Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology. 11th ed. Missouri: Saunder, Elsevier. 2011.
12. Eley BM, Soory M, Manson JD. Periodontics Book. 6th ed. British Library. Publisher: Edinburgh; New York. Churchill Livingstone. Elsevier. 2010.
13. Gunupati S, Chava VK, Krishna BP. Effect of phase I periodontal therapy on anticardiolipin antibodies in patients with acute myocardial infarction associated with chronic periodontitis. Journal of periodontology, 2011; 82(12):1657-64.
14. Armitage GC. Development of a classification system for periodontal diseases and conditions. Annals of Periodontology. 1999; 4(1):1-6.
15. Silness J, Löe H. Periodontal disease in pregnancy II. Cor relation between oral hygiene and periodontal condition. Acta Odontologica. 1964; 22(1):121-35.
16. Löe H, Silness, J. Periodontal disease in pregnancy I. Prevalence and severity. Acta Odontol Scand. 1963;21:533-51.
17. Khan S, Saub R, Vaithilingam RD, Safii SH, Vethakkan SR, Baharuddin NA. Prevalence of CP in an obese population: a preliminary study. BMC Oral Health. 2015; 15: Article number:114.
18. Kiany F, Hedayati A. Evaluation of serum anti - cardiolipin antibodies after non - surgical periodontal treatment in chronic periodontitis patients. Odontology. 2015; 103(2):203-9.
19. Khan S, Khalid T, Bettiol S, Crocombe LA. Nonsurgical periodontal therapy effectively improves patient-reported outcomes: A systematic review. International Journal of Dental Hygiene. 2021; 19(1):18-28.
20. Syrjanen J, Valtonen VV, Iivanainen M, Kaste M, Huttunen JK. Preceding infection as an important risk factor for ischaemic brain infarction in young and middle aged patients. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1988;296:1156–60.
21. Waghmare AS, Vhanmane PB, Savitha B, Chawla RL, Bagde HS. Bacteremia following scaling and root planing: A clinico-microbiological study. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2013; 17(6):725-30.
22. Chaston RW. Serum anti-phosphorylcholine and anti-cardiolipin concentrations following periodontal scaling and root planing. Virginia Commonwealth University, Virginia. 2006.
23. Suárez LJ, Garzon H, Arboleda S, Rodriguez A. Oral Dysbiosis and Autoimmunity: From Local Periodontal Responses to an Imbalanced Systemic Immunity. A Review. Front Immunol. 2020; 11. 591255.
Wan Mohamad, W., Saad, N., Zainuddin, S., & Taib, H. Periodontal Parameters and Anti-Cardiolipin Antibodies Following Periodontal Therapy in Chronic Periodontitis. J Dent Indones. 2021;28(1): 15-21
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons