The application of three-dimensional (3D) models in the medical field has become popular. However, the accuracy of 3D models for surgical guidance varies among different materials and 3D printing technologies, such as printing machine usage. Objectives: This study aims to obtain more information about the effect of three different materials printed using a fused deposition material printer from the same digital data source. This study also aims to compare, analyze, and test the materials’ ability. Methods: Each of the filament materials (acetylbutane stearate [ABS], polylactic acid [PLA], and high-impact polystyrene [HIPS]) are printed at two infill densities, their weight, volume, and dimension are measured, and infill materials are prepared. Printing time is estimated and calculated on the basis of printing properties by using Simplify3D© software. The strength and surface tension of each sample are examined via a drilling test. Results: PLA is better than ABS and HIPS for printing our 3D model because of its properties. Conclusion: Ideal 3D materials for printing 3D models should fulfill the criteria on accuracy, strength, weight, and durability for usage. However, production time and cost should also be considered.
- Farré-Guasch E, Wolff J, Helder MN, Schulten EAJM, Forouzanfar T, Klein-Nulend J. Application of additive manufacturing in oral and maxillofacial surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015;73(12):2408- 18.
- Jardini AL, Larosa MA, Filho RM, et al. Cranial reconstruction: 3D biomodel and custom-built implant created using additive manufacturing. J Cranio-Maxillofacial Surg. 2014;42(8):1877-84.
- Salmi M, Paloheimo KS, Tuomi J, Wolff J, Mäkitie A. Accuracy of medical models made by additive manufacturing (rapid manufacturing). J Cranio- Maxillofacial Surg. 2013;41:603-9.
- Ventola CL. Medical applications for 3D printing: current and projected uses. P & T. 2014;39(10):704- 11.
- Giannopoulos AA, Cai T, George E, et al. Medical 3D printing for the radiologist. RadioGraphics. 2015;35(7):1965-88.
- Olszewski R, Szymor P, Kozakiewicz M. Accuracy of three-dimensional, paper-based models generated using a low-cost, three-dimensional printer. J Cranio-Maxillofacial Surg. 2014;42(8):1847-52.
- Bibb R, Eggbeer D, Evans P, Bocca A. Rapid manufacture of custom fitting surgical guides. Rapid Prototyp J. 2009;15(5):346-54.
- Taufik M, Jain PK. A study of build edge profile for prediction of surface roughness in fused deposition modeling. J Manuf Sci Eng. 2017;138:1-11.
- Kumar R, Singh R, Farina I. On the 3D printing of recycled ABS, PLA and HIPS thermoplastics for str uctural applications. PSU Res Rev. 2018;2(2):115-37.
- Lay M, Laila N, Thajudin N, et al. Comparison of physical and mechanical properties of PLA, ABS and nylon 6 fabricated using fused deposition modeling and injection molding. Compos Part B. 2019;176:107341.
- Hällgren S, Pejryd L, Ekengren J. 3D data export for additive manufacturing - improving geometric accuracy. Procedia CIRP. 2016;50:518-23.
- Baich L, Manogharan GP, Marie H. Study of infill print design on production cost-time of 3D printed ABS parts. IJRapidM. 2015;5(3-4):308-19.
- Aloyaydi B, Sivasan karan S, Mustafa A. Investigation of infill-patterns on mechanical response of 3D printed poly- Investigation of infill-patterns on mechanical response of 3D printed. Polym Test. 2020:106557.
- Lee UL, Kwon JS, Woo SH, Choi YJ. Simultaneous bimaxillary surgery and mandibular reconstruction with a 3-Dimensional printed titanium implant fabricated by electron beam melting: a preliminary mechanical testing of the printed mandible. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016;74(7):1501-e1.
- Melchels FPW, Feijen J, Grijpma DW. A review on stereolithography and its applications in biomedical engineering. Biomaterials. 2010;31(24):6121-30.
- Deeb GR, Allen RK, Hall VP, Whitley D, Laskin DM, Bencharit S. How accurate are implant surgical guides produced with desktop stereolithographic 3-Dimentional printers? J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;75(12):1-8.
- Rustemeyer J, Melenberg A, Sari-Rieger A. Costs incurred by applying computer-aided design/ computer-aided manufacturing techniques for the reconstruction of maxillofacial defects. J Cranio- Maxillofacial Surg. 2014;42(8):2049-55.
Adhitya, M., Sunarso, S., & Muis, A. Comparison of Popular Three-Dimensional Printing Materials for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Guidance Model. J Dent Indones. 2020;27(3): 158-163