The prevalence of complete edentulism varies from country to country and from one region to another. Previous studies have reported the high prevalence of significant radiographic findings in edentulous patients. Objectives: This study aimed to determine the prevalence of complete edentulism retrospectively and to evaluate the frequency and location of significant radiographic findings on panoramic radiographs in edentulous jaws of dental patients in northeastern Turkey. Methods: The digital panoramic images of all ≥35 year-old patients admitted to our faculty from January 2014 to August 2015 were evaluated. The prevalence of complete edentulism was determined among 8314 panoramic images retrospectively. Radiographic findings identified as impacted teeth, retained roots, radiopaque, and radiolucent areas detected in panoramic radiographs of completely edentulous patients (CEP) were recorded. The obtained data were analyzed with descriptive statistics and cross-tabs. Chi-square test was employed to evaluate the statistical significance of the results at 0.05 levels. Results: A total of 8314 panoramic images were examined, and 508 (6.11%) CEP were defined. The prevalence of edentulism was higher (24.85%) among the patients older than 64 years old. A total of 206 radiographic findings were detected on panoramic images of CEP. The prevalence values of retained roots, impacted teeth, radiopacities, and radiolucencies were 18.9%, 7.09%, 2.76%, and 1.57%, respectively. Conclusions: Given the high frequency of significant radiographic findings, the radiographic examination of CEP should be performed with consideration of the cumulative effects of radiation.
- Pengpid S, Peltzer K. The prevalence of edentulism and their related factors in Indonesia, 2014/15. BMC Oral Health. 2018;18(1):118.
- Peltzer K, Hewlett S, Yawson AE, et al. Prevalence of loss of all teeth (edentulism) and associated factors in older adults in China, Ghana, India, Mexico, Russia and South Africa. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014;11(11):11308-24.
- Samnieng P, Lekatana H. Oral Health and quality of life among elderly in Thailand. J Dent Indones. 2016;23(2):40-7.
- Kaomongkolgit R, Daroonpan P, Tantanapornkul W, Palasuk J, Chansamat R. Medical conditions and oral diseases in elderly Thai dental patients in lower Northern Thailand. J Dent Indones. 2019;26(3):153-9.
- Al-Rafee MA. The epidemiology of edentulism and the associated factors: A literature review. J Fam Med Prim Care. 2020;9(4):1841-3.
- Kose TE, Demirtas N, Cakir Karabas H, Ozcan I. Evaluation of dental panoramic radiographic findings in edentulous jaws: A retrospective study of 743 patients “Radiographic features in edent ulous jaws.” J Adv Prosthodont. 2015;7(5):380-5.
- Sumer AP, Sumer M, Güler AU, Biçer I. Panoramic radiographic examination of edentulous mouths. Quintessence Int. 2007;38(7):e399-403.
- White SC, Pharoah MJ. Oral Radiology: Principles and Interpretation. 7th ed. Elsevier Health Sciences; 2014.
- American Dental Association Council on Scientific Affairs. The use of dental radiographs. J Am Dent Assoc. 2006;137(9):1304-12.
- Mamai-Homata E, Margaritis V, Koletsi-Kounari H, et al. Tooth loss and oral rehabilitation in Greek middle-aged adults and senior citizens. Int J Prosthodont. 2012;25(2):173-9.
- Choi JW. Assessment of panoramic radiography as a national oral examination tool: Review of the literature. Imaging Sci Dent 2011;41(1):1-6.
- Doğan BG, Gökalp S. Tooth loss and edentulism in the Turkish elderly. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2012;54(2):e162-6.
- Kassebaum NJ, Bernabé E, Dahiya M, et al. Global burden of severe tooth loss: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Dent Res. 2014;93(7 Suppl):20S-8S.
- Felton DA. Complete edentulism and comorbid diseases: An update. J Prosthodont. 2016;25(1):5- 20.
- Emami E, de Souza RF, Kabawat M, Feine JS. The impact of edentulism on oral and general health. Int J Dent. 2013;2013:498305.
- Turkish Statistical Institute. Population by Age Group and Proportion in Total Population https://data.tuik.gov.tr/en/display-bulletin/?bulletin=the-results-of-address-based-population-registration-system-2019-33705# Accessed October 8, 2020.
- Saydam G, Oktay I, Möller I. Oral Health Status Analysis. Ankara: WHO European Region- Ministry of Health; 1990:25.
- Unlüer S, Gökalp S, Doğan BG. Oral Health status of the elderly in a residential home in Turkey. Gerodontology. 2007;24(1):22-9.
- Nalçaci R, Erdemir EO, Baran I. Evaluation of the oral health status of the people aged 65 years and over living in near rural district of Middle Anatolia, Turkey. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2007;45(1):55-64.
- Gökalp SG, Doğan BG, Tekçiçek MT, Berberoğlu A, Ünlüer S. National survey of oral health status of children and adults in Turkey. Commun Dent Health. 2010;27(1):12-7.
- Bozdemir E, Yilmaz HH, Orhan H. General health and oral health status in elderly dental patients in Isparta, Turkey. East Mediterr Heal J. 2016;22(8):579-85.
- Jindal SK, Sheikh S, Kulkarni S, Singla A. Sig nif icance of pre-treat ment panoramic radiographic assessment of edentulous patients-A survey. Med O ral Patol O ral Ci r Bucal. 2011;16(4):e600-6.
- Kogon SL, Stephens RG, Bohay RN. An analysis of the scientific basis for the radiographic guideline for new edentulous patients. Oral SurgOral Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1997;83(5):619-23.
- Ahmad R, Affandi NF, Mohd Ayub NAF, et al. The value of panoramic radiograph as a screening tool prior to complete denture construction: A retrospective study. J Dent Indones. 2019;26(2):65- 9.
- Hou R, Kong L, Ao J, et al. Investigation of impacted permanent teeth except the third molar in Chinese patients through an X-ray study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010;68(4):762-767.
- Ardakani FE, Azam ARN. Radiological findings in panoramic radiographs of Iranian edentulous patients. Oral Radiol. 2007;23(1):1-5.
- Lyman S, Boucher LJ. Radiographic examination of edentulous mouths. J Prosthet Dent. 1990;64(2):180-2.
- Awad EA, Al-Dharrab A. Panoramic radiographic examination: A survey of 271 edentulous patients. Int J Prosthodont. 2011;24(1):55-7.
Sadik, E., Gökmenoğlu, C., & Kara, C. Complete Edentulism of Dental Patients in Northeastern Turkey: Prevalence and Radiographic Findings on Panoramic Radiographs. J Dent Indones. 2020;27(3): 139-143