Objective: This study aimed to examine the cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) images of impacted maxillary canines and mesiodentes. Methods: This retrospective radiographic study was performed on 177 patients with 200 impacted maxillary canines and 12 mesiodentes. Using CBCT images, the unilateral/bilateral occurrence, presence of root dilaceration, mesio-distal and buccopalatal location, impaction condition, contact region of adjacent teeth, presence and degree of root resorption of adjacent teeth, dental follicle width, closest distance to the nasal cavity, nasopalatinal canal, and maxillary sinus were assessed. For mesiodentes, the types, follicle width, direction, and relationship with anatomical structures were evaluated. Results: No statistical relationship was found between (buccopalatal and mesio-distal) position of canine and root resorption of adjacent teeth (p = 0.171). A negative correlation was observed between age and follicle width (r = −0.145, p = 0.048). No mesiodens with enlarged follicle and root resorption of adjacent teeth was found. Conclusion: Given the negative correlation between age and follicle width, older patients with impacted teeth can be followed up by two-dimensional radiographs unless periradicular radiolucencies are absent. Otherwise, CBCT evaluation is required for early detection of pathologies and prevention of possible surgical complications.
- Lai CS, Bornstein MM, Mock L, Heuberger BM, Dietrich T, Katsaros C. Impacted maxillary canines and root resorptions of neighbouring teeth: A radiographic analysis using cone-beam computed tomography. Eur J Orthod 2012;35:529- 38.
- Yan B, Sun Z, Fields H, Wang L, Luo L. Etiologic factors for buccal and palatal maxillary canine impaction: A perspective based on cone-beam computed tomography analyses. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2013;143:527-34.
- An S, Wang J, Li J, Cheng Q, Jiang C, Wang Y, Huang Y, Yu W, Gou Y, Xiao L. Comparison of methods for localization of impacted maxillary canines by panoramic radiographs. Dento Maxillo Facial Radiol. 2013;42:20130129.
- Hasan S, Ahmed SA, Reddy LB. Dentigerous cyst in association with impacted inverted mesiodens: Report of a rare case with a brief review of literature. Int J App Basic Med Res. 2014;4:61.
- Asaumi J-I, Shibata Y, Yanagi Y, Hisatomi M, Matsuzaki H, Konouchi H, Kishi K. Radiographic examination of mesiodens and their associated complications. Dento Maxillo Facial Radiol. 2004;33:125-7.
- Tuna EB, Kurklu E, Gencay K, Ak G. Clinical and radiological evaluation of inverse impaction of supernumerary teeth. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2013;18:e613-8.
- Liu DG, Zhang WL, Zhang ZY, Wu YT, Ma XC. Localization of impacted maxillary canines and observation of adjacent incisor resorption with cone-beam computed tomography. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;105:91-8.
- Preda L, La Fianza A, Di Maggio E, Dore R, Schifino M, Campani R, Segu C, Sfondrini M. The use of spiral computed tomography in the localization of impacted maxillary canines. Dento Maxillo Facial Radiol 1997;26:236-41.
- Cooke M, Nute S. Maxillary premolar resorption by canines: Three case reports. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2005;15:210-2.
- Ericson S, Kurol J. Incisor root resorptions due to ectopic maxillary canines imaged by computerized tomography: A comparative study in extracted teeth. Angle Orthod. 2000;70:276-83.
- Ericson S, Bjerklin K, Falahat B. Does the canine dental follicle cause resorption of permanent incisor roots? A computed tomographic study of erupting maxillary canines. Angle Orthod. 2002;72:95-104.
- Shroff B, Steven SM. Molecular basis for tooth eruption and its clinical implications in orthodontic tooth movement. Semin Orthod. 2000;6:155-72.
- Ericson S, Kurol J. Resorption of incisors after ectopic eruption of maxillary canines: A ct study. Angle Orthod. 2000;70:415-23.
- Alqerban A, Jacobs R, Fieuws S, Willems G. Comparison of two cone beam computed tomographic systems versus panoramic imaging for localization of impacted maxillary canines and detection of root resorption. Eur J Orthod. 2011;33:93-102.
- Bishara SE, Ortho D. Impacted maxillary canines: A review. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1992:101:159-71.
- Kim Y, Hyun HK, Jang KT. The position of maxillary canine impactions and the influenced factors to adjacent root resorption in the Korean population. Eur J Orthod. 2012;34:302-6.
- Zilberman Y, Cohen B, Becker A. Familial trends in palatal canines, anomalous lateral incisors, and related phenomena. Eur. J. Orthod 1990;12:135-9.
- Zhong Y, Zeng X, Jia Q, Zhang W, Chen L. Clinical investigation of impacted maxillary canine. Zhonghua kou qiang yi xue za zhi= Zhonghua kouqiang yixue zazhi= Chinese journal of stomatology. 2006;41:483-5.
- Oliver R, Mannion J, Robinson J. Morphology of the maxillary lateral incisor in cases of unilateral impaction of the maxillary canine. Br J Orthod. 1989;16:9-16.
- Shapira Y, Kuftinec MM. Early diagnosis and interception of potential maxillary canine impaction. J Am Dent Assoc. 1998;129:1450-4.
- Delli K, Livas C, Bornstein MM. Lateral incisor agenesis, canine impaction and characteristics of supernumerary teeth in a south European male population. Eur J Dent. 2013;7:278-83.
- Kurol J. The impacted maxillary canine. Textbook and Color Atlas of Tooth Impaction. 1995.
- Olow‐Nordenram M, Anneroth G. Eruption of maxillary canines. Eur J Oral Sci 1982;90:1-8.
- Smailienė D, Šidlauskas A, Lopatienė K, Guzevičienė V, Juodžbalys G. Factors affecting self-eruption of displaced permanent maxillary canines. Medicina. 2011;47:163-9.
- Heimisdottir K, Bosshardt D, Ruf S. Can the severity of root resorption be accurately judged by means of radiographs? A case report with histology. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2005;128:106-9.
- Alqerban A, Jacobs R, Lambrechts P, Loozen G, Willems G. Root resorption of the maxillary lateral incisor caused by impacted canine: A literature review. Clin Oral Invest. 2009;13:247-55.
- Marks Jr S, Cahill D. Experimental study in the dog of the non-active role of the tooth in the eruptive process. Arch. Oral Biol. 1984;29:311-22.
- Ericson S, Kurol J. Early treatment of palatally erupting maxillary canines by extraction of the primary canines. Eur J Orthod. 1988;10:283-95.
- Ericson S, Kurol J. Resorption of maxillary lateral incisors caused by ectopic eruption of the canines: A clinical and radiographic analysis of predisposing factors. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1988;94:503-13.
- Strbac GD, Foltin A, Gahleitner A, Bantleon H-P, Watzek G, Bernhart T. The prevalence of root resorption of maxillary incisors caused by impacted maxillary canines. Clin Oral Invest. 2013;17:553-64.
- Oberoi S, Knueppel S. Three-dimensional assessment of impacted canines and root resorption using cone beam computed tomography. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2012;113:260-7.
- Haney E, Gansky SA, Lee JS, Johnson E, Maki K, Miller AJ, Huang JC. Comparative analysis of traditional radiographs and cone-beam computed tomography volumetric images in the diagnosis and treatment planning of maxillary impacted canines. Am J Orthod Dentofacial. 2010;137:590-7.
- Mason C, Papadakou P, Rober ts GJ. The radiographic localization of impacted maxillary canines: A comparison of methods. Eur J Orthod. 2001;23:25-34.
- Bjerklin K, Ericson S. How a computerized tomography examination changed the treatment plans of 80 children with retained and ectopically positioned maxillary canines. Angle Orthod. 2006;76:43-51.
- Ericson S, Kurol J. Incisor resorption caused by maxillary cuspids: A radiographic study. Angle Orthod. 1987;57:332-46.
- Walker L, Enciso R, Mah J. Three-dimensional localization of maxillary canines with cone-beam computed tomography. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2005;128:418-23.
- Ziegler CM, Klimowicz TR. A comparison between various radiological techniques in the localization and analysis of impacted and supernumerary teeth. Indian J Dent Res. 2013;24:336.
- Roychoudhary A, Gupta Y, Parkash H. Mesiodens: A retrospective study of fifty teeth. J Indian Soc Pedol Prev Dent. 2000;18:144-6.
- von Arx T. Anterior maxillary supernumerary teeth: A clinical and radiographic study. Aust. Dent. J 1992;37:189-95.
- Lustmann J, Bodner L. Dentigerous cysts associated with supernumerary teeth. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1988;17:100-2.
- Kessler HP, Kraut RA. Dentigerous cyst associated with an impacted mesiodens. Gen Dent. 1989;37:47-9.
- Tay F, Pang A, Yuen S. Unerupted maxillary anterior supernumerary teeth: Report of 204 cases. ASDC J Dent Child. 1984;51:289-94.
- Arikan V, Ozgul BM, Firdevs T. Prevalence and characterıstıcs of supernumerary teeth in a child population from central anatolıa-turkey. Oral Health Dent Manag. 2013;12:269-72.
- Rajab LD, Hamdan MA. Supernumerary teeth: Review of the literature and a survey of 152 cases. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2002;12:244-54.
Köse, E., & Canger, E. M. Evaluation of Maxillary Impacted Teeth and Their Relationship with Adjacent Teeth and Anatomic Structures with Cone Beam Computed Tomography. J Dent Indones. 2020;27(3): 131-138
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons