Dental esthetic complex involves more than one caries with malformed shape and malposition. Dental trauma most commonly affects maxillary anterior teeth, and subsequently affects the esthetics, functions, and psychological well-being of the individual. Composite resins have become an integral part of contemporary restorative and minimally invasive dentistry. Objective: To summarize the successful use of direct composite resin restoration in the management of a 29-year old male patient. Case Report: A 29-year old male patient presenting with multiple secondary caries and crown fractures in the anterior maxillary teeth, resulting in an unaesthetic smile. Comprehensive esthetic dental treatment was carried out. The patient was highly satisfied with the results even after eleven months of follow-up. Conclusion: restorative success with composite resins, the dental treatment plan should be carefully executed with attention to factors such as dental convexities and contours, re‑establishment of function, and esthetics. Smile design should always be a multifactorial decision-making process that allows the clinician to treat patients with an individualized and interdisciplinary approach.
1. Demir F., Oktay EA, Topcu, FT. Smile and dental aesthetics: a literature review. Med Sci. 2017; 6(1):172-7.
2. Dietschi D. Current status & future perspectives for the use of composite resins in the smile framemethods following the Bio-Esthetic Concept. J Cosmetic Dent. 2011;27(3):113-29.
3. Vale T, Santos P, Moreira J, Manzanares MC, Ustrell JM. 2009. Perception of dental aesthetics in pediatric dentistry. Eur J Pediatr. 2009;10:110-4.
4. Avila ED, Molon RS, Cardoso MA, Filho LC, Velo MMAC, et al. Aesthetic rehabilitation of a complicated crown-root fracture of the maxillary incisor: combination of orthodontic and implant treatment. Case Reports in Dentistry. http://dx.doi. org/10.1155/2014/925363.
5. Aldegheishem A, Azam A, Al-Madi E, Abu-Khalaf A, Ali BB, et al. Golden proportion evaluation in maxillary anterior teeth amongst Saudi population in Riyadh. Saudi Dent J. 2019;31:322-9.
6. Abu-Hussein M, Watted N, Abdulgani A. Gummy smile and optimization of dentofacial esthetics. J Dent Med Sci. 2015;14(4):24-8.
7. Abu-Hussein M, Abdulgani A, Abdulgani M. Esthetics of class IV restorations with composite resins. J Dent Med Sci. 2016;15(1):61-6.
8. Romero MF. Esthetic anterior composite resin restorations using a single shade: Step-by-step technique. J Prosthetic Dent. 2015;114(1):9-12.
9. AlEidan RF, Alghamdi M. Comprehensive and esthetic rehabilitation for phobic patient ‘‘case report. Saudi Dent J. 2019; 31: S85-8.
10. Rizzo NSP, Cunha LF, Sotelo BV, Gonzaga CC, Correr GM, et al. Esthetic rehabilitation with direct composite resin in a patient with amelogenesis imperfecta: A 2-year follow-up. Case Reports in Dentistry. 2019; 1-4, https://doi. org/10.1155/2019/8407025.
11. Terry D, Leinfelder K. A simplified aesthetic concept: part one. Int Dent. - Africa Ed. 2014; 4(2):6-9.
12. Swelem AA, Al-Rafah EMZ. Evaluation of Golden Proportion in Saudi individuals with natural smiles. Saudi Dent J. 2019; 31: 277-84.
13. Bhuvaneswaran M. Principles of smile design. J Conserv Dent. 2010; 13(4):225-32.
14. Ron A, Pai VS, Mathew S, Nadig RR. Esthetic makeover- A multidisciplinary approach: A case report. Int J Applied Dent Sci. 2016; 2(3):23-5.
15. Zanardi PR, Zanardi RLR, Stegun RC, Sesma N, Costa B, et al. The use of the digital smile design concept as an auxiliary tool in aesthetic rehabilitation: A case report. The Open Dent J. 2016;10:1-4.
16. Kohli S, Yee A. Smile enhancement with anatomic diagnostic wax-up and comprehensive esthetic smile designing. J Int Oral Health. 2019; 11(4):221- 7.
17. Erdemir U, Yildiz E. Esthetic and Functional Management of Diastema - A Multidisiplinary Approach, Turkey: Springer. 2016.
18. Omar D, Duarte C. The application of parameter for comprehensive smile esthetic by digital smile design programs: A review of literature. Saudi Dent J. 2017; 30(1):1-6.
Widya Nugrohowati, C., Hadriyanto, W., & Nugraheni, T. Direct Composite Resin Restoration of Anterior Maxillary Teeth and Esthetic Smile Design: A Case Report. J Dent Indones. 2020;27(2): 103-108
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Other Dentistry Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons