Presently, dental crowding is the most common problem among orthodontic patients. The prevalence of crowding in the dental arch is significantly increased in modern dentitions, and it is the most common reason why patients pursue orthodontic treatment. Objective: To report an advanced bracket systems, namely self-ligating brackets, to increase the efficacy of orthodontic treatment especially in patients with severe crowding. Case Report: A 22-year-old female patient presented with severe crowding of the maxillary and mandibular arches. In the upper arch, both second premolars were palatally positioned; in the lower arch, the lower right canine was lingually positioned and the lower left second premolar was extracted. The patient had a balanced facial profile with a straight profile and skeletal Class I relationship. Treatment was initiated using passive self-ligating brackets followed by extraction of the upper second premolars and the lower right first premolar. Conclusion: The use of passive selfligating brackets proved to be effective and resulted in a significant improvement in the patient’s dental and smile esthetics. The active treatment time was 11 months; this resulted in successfully alleviating the crowding of the maxillary and mandibular arches and significant improvement in the occlusal relationship.
1. Chaudhry NA, Surgery MO, Orthodontics F. Dental crowding and its relationship to arch dimensions. Pakistan Oral Dent J. 2010;30(2):78– 83.
2. Hassan R, Rahimah AK. Occlusion, malocclusion and method of measurements: An overview. Arch Orofac Sci. 2007;2:3–9.
3. Al-duliamy MJ. Orthodontic treatment of class I malocclusion with severe crowding without extraction of any sound erupted tooth. Gen Med. 2015;3(2):2–5.
4. Alan M, Bittencourt V, Costa A, Farias R, Castellucci M De. Conservative treatment of a Class I malocclusion with 12 mm overjet, overbite and severe mandibular crowding. Dent Press J Orthod. 2012;17:43–52.
5. Shar ma S, Mahajan N. Factors affecting mandibular anterior crowding. J Indian Dent Assoc. 2016;10:19–24.
6. Lopes H, Maia LH, Thiago L, Souza M, Maia LC. Early vs late orthodontic treatment of tooth crowding by first premolar extraction: A systematic review. Angle Orthod. 2015;85:510–517.
7. Baek SH, Kim KD, Hwang SJ. Introduction to Damon system. In: New trend in orthodontics. Korea: Shinhung International Inc.; 2008.
8. Araujo E, Souki M. Bolton anterior tooth size discrepancies among different malocclusion groups. Angle Orthod. 2003;73:307–313.
9. Mitchell L. Orthodontic assesment. In: Introduction to orthodontics. 4th ed. United Kingdom: Oxford University Press; 2013:54–102.
10. Mitchell L. Treatment planing. In: Introduction to Orthodontics. 4th ed. United Kingdom: Oxford University Press; 2013:91–93.
11. Cobourne MT, DiBiase AT. The orthodontic patient: Treatment planing. In: Handbook of orthodontics. 1st ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2010:182-202.
12. Hussain SS, Asrhaf B, Khan SQ. Relationship of dental crowding to tooth size and arch dimensions in class I normal & class I malocclusion sample. Pakistan Oral Dent J. 2014;34:660 – 665.
13. Gelgör IE, Karaman AI, Ercan E. Prevalence of malocclusion among adolescents in central anatolia. Eur J Dent. 2007;1(3):125-31.
14. McLaughlin, Bennett, Trevisi. Arch leveling and overbite control. In: Systemized orthodontic treatment mechanics. London: Mosby; 2001:131– 132.
15. Alkan A, Cakmak O, Ramoglu I, Yagan G, Kiliç B. Periodontics and orthodontics team-work in the treatment of gingival recession : Two case reports. J Orthod Res. 2013;1.
16. Birnie D, Damon T, Ormco S, Lone S, Ave H. The Damon Passive Self-Ligating Appliance System. Semin Orthod. 2008;14(1):19–35.
17. Harradine N. The history and development of selfligating brackets. Semin Orthod. 2008;14:5–18.
Pramustika, A., & Widayati, R. Treatment of a Class I Malocclusion with Severe Crowding using Passive Self-Ligating Brackets. J Dent Indones. 2020;27(2): 109-113
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons