Objective: This study aimed to evaluate the effects of Er:YAG laser used alone or in combination with acid etching as surface conditioners on the microleakage of a glass carbomer fissure sealant for permanent molar teeth.
Methods: Forty sound human permanent molar teeth were randomly divided into four experimental groups based on enamel etching methods: group I, no surface conditioning; group II, 37% phosphoric acid etching; group III, Er:YAG laser etching; and group IV, sequential laser etching and acid etching. After surface conditioning procedures were conducted, the teeth were sealed with a glass carbomer seal. The teeth were subjected to thermocycling with 2500 cycles at 5±2 °C to 55±2 °C for 24 h. Subsequent microleakage was assessed via dye penetration under a stereomicroscope.
Results: Group II showed the lowest microleakage scores. Groups III and IV exhibited similar score distribution, which was lower than that of group I.
Conclusions: Laser etching and acid etching decrease the microleakage probability of glass carbomer sealants, and acid etching alone provides a more suitable surface for these sealants. Sequential laser etching and acid etching have no additional benefit in comparison with acid etching alone and yield worse results than those of the other tested methods.
1. Vijaya r ag hava n R , R ao VA, Reddy N V, Krishnakumar R, Sugumaran DK, Mohan G. Assessment and comparison of microleakage of a fluoride-releasing sealant after acid etching and Er: YAG laser treatment - An in vitro study. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012;3(1):64–8.
2. Baygin O, Korkmaz FM, Tüzüner T, Tanriver M. The effect of different enamel surface treatments on the microleakage of fissure sealants. Lasers Med Sci. 2012;27(1):153–60.
3. Ciucchi P, Neuhaus KW, Emerich M, Peutzfeldt A, Lussi A. Evaluation of different types of enamel conditioning before application of a fissure sealant. Lasers Med Sci. 2015;30(1):1–9.
4. Cvikl B, Moritz A, Bekes K. Pit and Fissure Sealants-A Comprehensive Review. Dent J (Basel). 2018;6(2):18.
5. Sridhar LP, Moses J, Rangeeth BN, Sivakumar S. Comparative Evaluation of the Marginal Sealing Ability of two Commercially Available Pit and Fissure Sealants. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016;10(9):ZC01–4.
6. Lupi-Pégurier L, Bertrand MF, Genovese O, Rocca JP, Muller-Bolla M. Microleakage of resinbased sealants after Er:YAG laser conditioning. Lasers Med Sci. 2007;22(3):183–8.
7. Poli R. Laser-Assisted Restorative Dentistry (Hard Tissue: Carious Lesion Removal and Tooth Preparation). In: Coluzzi D., Parker S. (eds) Lasers in Dentistry—Current Concepts. Textbooks in Contemporary Dentistry. Springer, Cham. 2017: 163-89.
8. Matsumoto K, Wang X, Zhang C, Kinoshita J. Effect of a novel Er:YAG laser in caries removal and cavity preparation: a clinical observation. Photomed Laser Surg. 2007;25(1):8–13.
9. Liu JF, Lai YL, Shu WY, Lee SY. Acceptance and efficiency of Er:YAG laser for cavity preparation in children. Photomed Laser Surg. 2006;24(4):489– 93.
10. Chimello-Sousa DT, de Souza AE, Chinelatti MA, Pécora JD, Palma-Dibb RG, Milori Corona SA. Influence of Er:YAG laser irradiation distance on the bond strength of a restorative system to enamel. J Dent. 2006;34(3):245–51.
11. Colucci V, do Amaral FL, Pécora JD, Palma-Dibb RG, Corona SA. Effects of water flow on ablation rate and morphological changes in human enamel and dentin after Er:YAG laser irradiation. Am J Dent. 2012;25(6):332–36.
12. Souza-Gabriel AE, Chinelatti MA, Borsatto MC, Pécora JD, Palma-Dibb RG, Corona SA. SEM analysis of enamel surface treated by Er:YAG laser: influence of irradiation distance. Microsc Res Tech. 2008;71(7):536–41.
13. Kim JH, Kwon OW, Kim HI, Kwon YH. Acid resistance of erbium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet laser-treated and phosphoric acid-etched enamels. Angle Orthod. 2006;76(6):1052–6.
14. Güçlü ZA, Dönmez N, Hurt AP, Coleman NJ. Characterisation and microleakage of a new hydrophilic fissure sealant - UltraSeal XT® hydro™. J Appl Oral Sci. 2016;24(4):344–51.
15. Cehreli SB, Tirali RE, Yalcinkaya Z, Cehreli ZC. Microleakage of newly developed glass carbomer cement in primary teeth. Eur J Dent. 2013;7(1):15–21.
16. Subramaniam P, Girish Babu KL, Jayasurya S. Evaluation of Solubility and Microleakage of Glass Carbomer Sealant. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2015;39(5):429–34.
17. Breschi L, Mazzoni A, Ruggeri A, Cadenaro M, Di Lenarda R, De Stefano Dorigo E. Dental adhesion review: aging and stability of the bonded interface. Dent Mater. 2008;24(1):90–101.
18. Symons AL, Chu CY, Meyers IA. The effect of fissure morphology and pretreatment of the enamel surface on penetration and adhesion of fissure sealants. J Oral Rehabil. 1996;23(12):791–8.
19. Landis JR, Koch GG. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics. 1977;33(1):159–74.
20. Strassler HE, Grebosky M, Porter J, Arroyo J. Success with pit and fissure sealants. Dent Today. 2005;24(2):124–40.
21. Morresi AL, D’Amario M, Capogreco M, et al. Thermal cycling for restorative materials: does a standardized protocol exist in laboratory testing? A literature review. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2014;29:295–308.
22. Swain MV, Xue J. State of the art of Micro-CT applications in dental research. Int J Oral Sci. 2009;1(4):177–88.
23. Heintze SD. Clinical relevance of tests on bond strength, microleakage and marginal adaptation. Dent Mater. 2013;29(1):59–84.
24. Güçlü ZA, Hurt AP, Dönmez N, Coleman NJ. Effect of Er:YAG laser enamel conditioning and moisture on the microleakage of a hydrophilic sealant. Odontology. 2018;106(3):225–231.
25. Mente J, Ferk S, Dreyhaupt J, Deckert A, Legner M, Staehle HJ. Assessment of different dyes used in leakage studies. Clin Oral Investig. 2010;14(3):331–8.
26. C hen X , C uijpers V, F an M , F rencken J E. Marginal leakage of two newer glass-ionomerbased sealant materials assessed using micro-CT. J Dent. 2010;38(9):731–5.
27. Unal M, Hubbezoglu I, Zan R, Kapdan A, Hurmuzlu F. Effect of acid etching and different Er:YAG laser procedures on microleakage of three different fissure sealants in primary teeth after aging. Dent Mater J. 2013;32(4):557–63.
Ozveren, N., Uslu, Y. S., & Donmez, N. Effect of Acid Etching and Er:YAG Laser Enamel Conditioning on the Microleakage of Glass Carbomer Fissure Sealants. J Dent Indones. 2020;27(1): 6-12