Caregivers of Elderly with Moderate to Total Dependence in Activities of Daily Living in Yogyakarta Indonesia: Correlation of Burden and Quality of Life
The Maria Meiwati Widagdo : 0000-0002-9435-762X
Lise Insani Gulo : 0000-0001-9177-5271
Herose Cendrasilvinia : 0000-0001-7678-4460
Widya Christine Manus : 0000-0003-4960-2750
Background: Aging is accompanied by a functional decline leading to the loss of independence in conducting activities of daily living. The dependence of the elderly can cause burden that affects the quality of life of caregivers. This study aimed to assess the correlation between the burden and quality of life of caregivers looking after moderately to totally dependent elderly.
Methods: This research is a cross-sectional study that used Zarit Burden Interview to assess caregiver burden and World Health Organization Quality of Life to measure the quality of life of people caring for elderly with moderate to total dependence based on the scores in Activities of Daily Living and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living questionnaires. The data were analyzed using Spearman’s rank correlation test.
Results: A total of 30 caregivers participated in this study. Significant negative correlations were observed between the burden and quality of life of caregivers of elderly with moderate to total dependence in all four domains: physical (p = 0.001), psychological (p < 0.001), social relationships (p = 0.028), and environmental (p < 0.001).
Conclusions: The findings imply that the burden of caring for the elderly with moderate to total dependence may affect the caregivers’ burden and quality of life in all domains.
- Bowker LK, Price JD, Shah K, Smith SC. Oxford handbook of geriatric medicine. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2018.
- World Health Organization. World report on ageing and health. Luxembourg: World Health Organization, 2015.
- Carvacho R, Carrasco M, Lorca MBF, Miranda-Castillo C. Met and unmet needs of dependent older people according to the Camberwell Assessment of Need for the Elderly (CANE): A scoping review. Rev Esp Geriatr Gerontol. 2021;56:225–35.
- Kristanti MS, Vernooij-Dassen M, Utarini A, Effendy C, Engels Y. Measuring the burden on family caregivers of people with cancer: Cross-cultural translation and psychometric testing of the caregiver reaction assessment-Indonesian version. Cancer Nurs. 2021;44:37–44.
- Mollaoğlu M. Caregiving and home care. London: IntechOpen; 2018.
- Liu Z, Heffernan C, Tan J. Caregiver burden: A concept analysis. Int J Nurs Sci. 2020;7:438–45.
- Yi M, Jiang D, Jia Y, Xu W, Wang H, Li Y, et al. Impact of caregiving burden on quality of life of caregivers of COPD patients: The Chain mediating role of social support and negative coping styles. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2021;16:2245–55.
- Mishra S, Gulia A, Satapathy S, Gogia A, Sharma A, Bhatnagar S. Caregiver burden and quality of life among family caregivers of cancer patients on chemotherapy: A prospective observational study. Indian J Palliat Care. 2021;27:109–12.
- Settineri S, Rizzo A, Liotta M, Mento C. Caregiver’s burden and quality of life: Caring for physical and mental illness. Int J Psychol Res. 2014;7:30–9.
- Rha SY, Park Y, Song SK, Lee CE, Lee J. Caregiving burden and the quality of life of family caregivers of cancer patients: The relationship and correlates. Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2015;19:376–82.
- dos Anjos KF, Boery RN, Pereira R. Quality of life of relative caregivers of elderly dependents at home. Texto contexto - enferm. 2014;23:600–8.
- Srivastava G, Tripathi RK, Tiwari SC, Singh B, Tripathi SM. Caregiver burden and quality of life of key caregivers of patients with dementia. Indian J Psychol Med. 2016;38:133–6.
- da Costa AF, Lopes MCBT, Campanharo CRV, Batista REA, Okuno MFP. Quality of Life and burden of caregivers of older people. Texto contexto - enferm. 2020;29: e20190043.
- Kristina H, Widagdo TMM, Perdamaian TK. Study correlation between burden and quality of life of dependent elderly caregivers in Klitren, Yogyakarta. J Widya Medika Jr. 2021;3:205–15.
- Naing M, May S, Aung M. Caregivers’ burden from caring for dependent elderly in Yangon, The Republic of the Union of Myanmar. Makara J Health Res. 2020;24:13–20.
- The National Team for The Acceleration of Poverty Reduction, The SMERU Research Institute. The situation of the elderly in Indonesia and Access to social protection programs: Secondary data analysis. 1st ed. Jakarta: Tim National Percepatan Penanggulangan Kemiskinan; 2020.
- Cendrasilvinia H, Widagdo TMM, Manus WC. Burden and Quality of life of dependent elderly caregivers in Pakuncen Village Yogyakarta. Proceedings of the 7th international conference on public health; Solo, Indonesia: Universitas Sebelas Maret; 2020. p.53.
- Lau KM, Parikh M, Harvey DJ, Huang CJ, Farias ST. Early cognitively based functional limitations predict loss of independence in instrumental activities of daily living in older adults. J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2015;21:688–98.
- Mlinac ME, Feng MC. Assessment of activities of daily living, self-care, and independence. Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 2016;31:506–16.
- American Psychological Association. Zarit burden interview. United States: American Psychological Association, 2011.
- Puspitasari S. Gambaran beban caregiver keluarga pada pasien kanker di rumah singgah yayasan kanker [bachelor's thesis]. Jakarta: UIN Syarif Hidayatullah; 2017.
- Gondodiputro S, Wiwaha G, Lionthina M, Sunjaya DK. Reliability and validity of the Indonesian version of the World Health Organization quality of life-old (WHOQOL-OLD): A Rasch modeling. Med J Indones. 2021;30:143–51.
- Widagdo TMM. Functional ability of older people in Yogyakarta Municipality and its implications [unpublished manuscript]. Faculty of Medicine, Duta Wacana Christian University; 2018.
- Biro Tata Pemerintahan Setda DIY. Jumlah penduduk Kecamatan Wirobrajan, Menurut wajib KTP Semester 1 2019. Indonesia: Biro Tata Pemerintahan Setda DIY, 2019.
- Sari IWW, Warsini S, Effendy C. Burden among family caregivers of advanced cancer patients in Indonesia. Belitung Nurs J. 2018;4:295–303.
- Lu W, Mao Q. The effects of family follow-up nursing on elderly cognitive impairment patients' Barthel index scores and mental statuses. Am J Transl Res. 2021;13:6702–9.
- Kumar R, Kaur S, Reddemma K. Pattern of Burden and quality of life among caregivers of stroke survivors. Int J Health Sci Res. 2015;5:208–14.
- Chen Y, Feng H, Zhuang X, Liu H. Burden of care, quality of life and related factors in family members of patients with schizophrenia. Chin Ment Health J. 2017;12:203–7.
- Vadher S, Desai R, Panchal B, Vala A, Ratnani IJ, Rupani MP, et al. Burden of care in caregivers of patients with alcohol use disorder and schizophrenia and its association with anxiety, depression and quality of life. Gen Psychiatr. 2020;33:e100215.
- Urzúa A, Miranda-Castillo C, Caqueo-Urízar A, Mascayano F. Do Cultural values affect quality of life evaluation? Soc Indic Res. 2013; 114:1295–313.
- Wang R, Langhammer B. Predictors of quality of life for chronic stroke survivors in relation to cultural differences: A literature review. Scand J Caring Sci. 2018;32:502–14.
- Skevington SM, WHOQOL SRPB Group. Is Culture important to the relationship between quality of life and resilience? Global Implications for preparing communities for environmental and health disasters. Front Psychol. 2020;11:1492.
- Purba FD, Hunfeld JAM, Iskandarsyah A, Fitriana TS, Sadarjoen SS, Passchier J, et al. Quality of life of the Indonesian general population: Test-retest reliability and population norms of the EQ-5D-5L and WHOQOL-BREF. PLoS One. 2018;13:e0197098.
- Huang SS. Depression among caregivers of patients with dementia: Associative factors and management approaches. World J Psychiatry. 2022;12:59–76.
- Bevans M, Sternberg EM. Caregiving burden, stress, and health effects among family caregivers of adult cancer patients. JAMA. 2012;307:398–403.
- Liang X, Guo Q, Luo J, Li F, Ding D, Zhao Q, et al. Anxiety and depression symptoms among caregivers of care-recipients with subjective cognitive decline and cognitive impairment. BMC Neurol. 2016;16:191.
- Hu P, Yang Q, Kong L, Hu L, Zeng L. Relationship between the anxiety/depression and care burden of the major caregiver of stroke patients. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018;97:e12638.
- Effendy C, Vernooij-Dassen M, Setiyarini S, Kristanti MS, Tejawinata S, Vissers K, et al. Family caregivers' involvement in caring for a hospitalized patient with cancer and their quality of life in a country with strong family bonds. Psychooncology. 2015;24:585–91.
- Mathias K, Kermode M, San Sebastian M, Davar B, Goicolea I. An asymmetric burden: Experiences of men and women as caregivers of people with psycho-social disabilities in rural North India. Transcult Psychiatry. 2019;56:76–102.
- Setiyani R, Windsor C. Filial piety: From the perspective of Indonesian young adults. Nurse Media J Nurs. 2019;9:46–57.
- Caro CC, Costa JD, Da Cruz DMC. Burden and quality of life of family caregivers of stroke patients. Occup Ther Health Care. 2018;32:154–71.
- Marim CM, Silva V, Taminato M, Barbosa DA. Effectiveness of educational programs on reducing the burden of caregivers of elderly individuals with dementia: A systematic review. Rev Lat Am Enfermagem. 2013;21 Spec No:267–75.
- Friedman EM, Trail TE, Vaughan CA, Tanielian T. Online peer support groups for family caregivers: Are they reaching the caregivers with the greatest needs? J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2018;25:1130–6.
- Pristavec T. The Burden and benefits of caregiving: A latent class analysis. Gerontologist. 2019;59:1078–91.
Widagdo TM, Gulo LI, Cendrasilvinia H, Manus WC. Caregivers of Elderly with Moderate to Total Dependence in Activities of Daily Living in Yogyakarta Indonesia: Correlation of Burden and Quality of Life. Makara J Health Res. 2022;26.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.