Louis Fabio Jonathan Jusni : 0000-0003-0616-595X
Valencia Chandra : 0000-0003-4262-7752
Tena Djuartina : 0000-0002-4281-5852
Dion Notario : 0000-0001-7376-3517
Zita Arieselia : 0000-0002-4945-3022
Linawati Hananta : 0000-0002-2068-4345
Background: Hyperlipidemia is a condition that is characterized as an increase in total cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. Lactoferrin is a protein that can serve as an antioxidant. This study aims to determine whether lactoferrin can reduce total cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Methods: This study used 24 Sprague–Dawley rat strains, which were divided into six groups: normal group; negative control; positive control; and dose groups 1, 2, and 3. The normal group was given standard feed, whereas the other group was given high cholesterol and fat. The positive control group and dose groups 1, 2, and 3 were given 1.5 mg/kg BW of simvastatin and 100, 200, and 400 mg/kg of BW lactoferrin, respectively. After 6 weeks, total cholesterol and triglyceride levels were measured.
Results: This study showed that lactoferrin doses of 100, 200, and 400 mg/kg BW could significantly reduce total cholesterol and triglyceride levels (p < 0.05). Lactoferrin could also significantly reduce activated Kupffer cell and steatosis area in the liver (p < 0.05).
Conclusions: Lactoferrin can reduce total cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Thus, further research is needed to address the existing bias and confirm that lactoferrin can reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Nelson RH. Hyperlipidemia as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Prim Care. 2013;40:195–211.
- Wake M, Oh A, Onishi Y, Guelfucci F, Shimasaki Y, Teramoto T. Adherence and persistence to hyperlipidemia medications in patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease and those with diabetes mellitus based on administrative claims data in Japan. Atherosclerosis. 2019;282:19–28.
- Csonka C, Sárközy M, Pipicz M, Dux L, Csont T. Modulation of hypercholesterolemia-induced oxidative/nitrative stress in the heart. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016;2016:3863726.
- Pirillo A, Casula M, Olmastroni E, Norata GD, Catapano AL. Global epidemiology of dyslipidaemias. Nat Rev Cardiol. 2021;18:689–700.
- National Institute of Health Research and Development Indonesian Ministry of Health. Laporan Nasional Riset Kesehatan Dasar (RISKESDAS) 2013. Jakarta: National Institute of Health Research and Development Indonesian Ministry of Health, 2013.
- Shattat GF. A review article on hyperlipidemia: Types, treatments and new drug targets. Biomed Pharmacol J. 2014;7:399–409.
- Sizar O, Khare S, Jamil RT, Talati R. Statin Medications [Internet]. Treasure Island: StatPearls Publishing; 2022.
- Ramkumar S, Raghunath A, Raghunath S. Statin therapy: Review of safety and potential side effects. Acta Cardiol Sin. 2016;32:631–9.
- Nakamura K, Morishita S, Ono T, Murakoshi M, Sugiyama K, Kato H, et al. Lactoferrin interacts with bile acids and increases fecal cholesterol excretion in rats. Biochem Cell Biol. 2017;95:142–7.
- Giansanti F, Panella G, Leboffe L, Antonini G. Lactoferrin from milk: Nutraceutical and pharmacological properties. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2016;9:61.
- Manzanares P, Salom JB, García-Tejedor A, Fernández-Musoles R, Ruiz-Giménez P, Gimeno-Alcañíz JV. Unraveling the mechanisms of action of lactoferrin-derived antihypertensive peptides: ACE inhibition and beyond. Food Funct. 2015;6:2440–52.
- Nozari S, Fathi Maroufi N, Nouri M, Paytakhti Oskouei M, Shiralizade J, Yekani F, et al. Decreasing serum homocysteine and hypocholesterolemic effects of Bovine lactoferrin in male rat fed with high-cholesterol diet. J Cardiovasc Thorac Res. 2018;10:203–8.
- Liang W, Menke AL, Driessen A, Koek GH, Lindeman JH, Stoop R, et al. Establishment of a general NAFLD scoring system for rodent models and comparison to human liver pathology. PLoS One. 2014;9:e115922.
- Arsad SS, Esa NM, Hamzah H. Histopathologic Changes in liver and kidney tissues from male sprague dawley rats treated with rhaphidophora decursiva (roxb.) schott extract. J Cytol Histol. 2014;s4:001.
- Sigma SHA. The effect and mechanism of sucrose consumption to liver disease – A systematic literature review. Biomol Health Sci J. 2022;5:47–53.
- Keklik NM, Bozkurt H, Tekin AR. Effect of different cooking procedures on cholesterol and fat contents of selected meat products. Food Sci Technol 2018;38:683–90.
- Moon JH, Kim HJ, Kim HM, Choi SH, Lim S, Park YJ, et al. Decreased expression of hepatic low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 1 in hypothyroidism: A novel mechanism of atherogenic dyslipidemia in hypothyroidism. Thyroid. 2013;23:1057–65.
- Superti F. Lactoferrin from bovine milk: A protective companion for life. Nutrients. 2020;12:2562.
- Babeu JP, Boudreau F. Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4-alpha involvement in liver and intestinal inflammatory networks. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:22–30.
- Won KJ, Park JS, Jeong H. Repression of hepatocyte nuclear factor 4 alpha by AP-1 underlies dyslipidemia associated with retinoic acid. J Lipid Res. 2019;60:794–804.
- Guo S, Lu H. Novel mechanisms of regulation of the expression and transcriptional activity of hepatocyte nuclear factor 4α. J Cell Biochem. 2019;120:519–32.
- Chiang JYL, Ferrell JM. Up to date on cholesterol 7 alpha-hydroxylase (CYP7A1) in bile acid synthesis. Liver Res. 2020;4:47–63.
- Min QQ, Qin LQ, Sun ZZ, Zuo WT, Zhao L, Xu JY. Effects of metformin combined with lactoferrin on lipid accumulation and metabolism in mice fed with high-fat diet. Nutrients. 2018;10:1628.
- Espenshade PJ. Cholesterol synthesis and regulation. In Lennarz W, Lane M. Eds. Encyclopedia of Biological Chemistry. Elsevier Inc, 2013, p. 516–20.
- Liu Z, Liu W, Huang Y, Guo J, Zhao R, Yang X. Lipopolysaccharide significantly influences the hepatic triglyceride metabolism in growing pigs. Lipids Health Dis. 2015;14:64.
- Patel R, Santoro A, Hofer P, Tan D, Oberer M, Nelson AT, et al. ATGL is a biosynthetic enzyme for fatty acid esters of hydroxy fatty acids. Nature. 2022;606:968–75.
- Kowalczyk P, Kaczyńska K, Kleczkowska P, Bukowska-Ośko I, Kramkowski K, Sulejczak D. The lactoferrin phenomenon-A miracle molecule. Molecules. 2022;27:2941.
- Faridvand Y, Nozari S, Asoudeh-Fard A, Karimi MA, Pezeshkian M, Safaie N, et al. Bovine lactoferrin ameliorates antioxidant esterase activity and 8-isoprostane levels in high-cholesterol-diet fed rats. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2017;87:201–6.
- Donovan SM. The role of lactoferrin in gastrointestinal and immune development and function: A preclinical perspective. J Pediatr. 2016;173 Suppl:S16–28.
- Nguyen-Lefebvre AT, Horuzsko A. Kupffer cell metabolism and function. J Enzymol Metab. 2015;1:101.
- Li YC, Hsieh CC. Lactoferrin dampens high-fructose corn syrup-induced hepatic manifestations of the metabolic syndrome in a murine model. PLoS One. 2014;9:e97341.
- Ward NC, Watts GF, Eckel RH. Statin Toxicity. Circ Res. 2019;124:328–50.
Jusni LF, Chandra V, Djuartina T, Notario D, Arieselia Z, Hananta L, et al. Potential Antihyperlipidemia Effect of Lactoferrin in Hyperlipidemia-Induced Male Sprague–Dawley Rats. Makara J Health Res. 2022;26.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.