Background: Cancer knowledge, attitude, and practice (KAP) levels of communities are essential to be assessed to enhance cancer educational programs. This study aimed to determine the KAP level of the Kuantan community on the effects of monosaccharides on cancer. The association between the sociodemographic data and KAP level of the community has also been evaluated.
Methods: A cross-sectional survey was performed among residents living in the Kuantan community. Only 303 of 380 responses were included in the data analysis using the chi-square test.
Results: The knowledge and practice levels were moderate, whereas the attitude was at a positive level. Moreover, the association of sociodemographic factors (sex and education level) showed significant difference with the knowledge level (p ≤ 0.05). Additionally, only the age factor showed significant difference toward the practice level of the Kuantan community, with p < 0.05.
Conclusion: In conclusion, although the attitude score is positive, educational programs still need to be conducted as the knowledge and practice levels of the community have moderate scores.
1. Blaxall B, Jefferies JL, Robbins J. Cardioskeletal myopathies in children and young adults. 1st ed. London: Academic Press; 2017.
2. Templeton D, Liu Y. Multiple roles of cadmium in cell death and survival. Chem Biol Interact. 2010;188:267–75.
3. Slattery ML, Benson J, Berry TD et al. Dietary sugar and colon cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1997;35:1227.
4. Zelenskiy S, Thompson CL, Tucker TC, Li L. High dietary glycemic load is associated with increased risk of colon cancer. Nutr Cancer. 2014;66:362–8.
5. Vogtmann E, Li HL, Shu XO, Chow WH, Ji BT, Cai H, et al. Dietary glycemic load, glycemic index, and carbohydrates on the risk of primary liver cancer among Chinese women and men. Ann Oncol. 2013;24:238–44.
6. Cui X, Rosner B, Willett WC, Hankinson SE. Dietary fat, fiber, and carbohydrate intake and endogenous hormone levels in premenopausal women. Horm Cancer. 2010;1:265–76.
7. Chen B, Liu S, Xu W, Wang X, Zhao W, Wu J. IGF-I and IGFBP-3 and the risk of lung cancer: A meta-analysis based on nested case-control studies. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2009;28:89.
8. Moynihan P, Makino Y, Petersen P, Ogawa H. Implications of WHO guideline on sugars for dental health professionals. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2017;46:1–7.
9. Gallagher EJ, LeRoith D. Obesity and diabetes: The increased risk of cancer and cancer-related mortality. Physiol Rev. 2015;95:727–48.
10. Laguna JC, Alegret M, Roglans N. Simple sugar intake and hepatocellular carcinoma: Epidemiological and mechanistic insight. Nutrients. 2014;6:5933–54.
11. Waszak P, Kasprzycka-Waszak W, Kubanek A. The spread of medical fake news in social media – The pilot quantitative study. Health Policy Technol. 2018;7:115–8.
12. Chen L, Wang X, Peng TQ. Nature and diffusion of gynecologic cancer-related misinformation on social media: Analysis of tweets. J Med Internet Res. 2018;20:e11515.
13. Lahiji MR, Dehdari T, Shoormasti RS, Hosseini AF, Navaei M, Zarrati M. Nutrition knowledge, attitudes, and practice towards breast cancer prevention among the female population of Iran University of medical science students. Nutr Cancer. 2019;71:1355–64.
14. Gilani SI, Khurram M, Mazhar T, Mir ST, Ali S, Tariq S, et al. Knowledge, attitude and practice of a Pakistani female cohort towards breast cancer. J Pak Med Assoc. 2010;60:205–8.
15. Schliemann D, Ismail R, Donnelly M, Cardwell C, Su T. Cancer symptom and risk factor awareness in Malaysia: Findings from a nationwide cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2020;20:464.
16. Abu Samah A, Ahmadian M, Latiff LA. Insufficient knowledge of breast cancer risk factors among Malaysian female university students. Glob J Health Sci. 2015;8:277–85.
17. Tazhibi M, Feizi A. Awareness levels about breast cancer risk factors, early warning signs, and screening and therapeutic approaches among Iranian adult women: A large population-based study using latent class analysis. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:306352.
18. Binshihon SM, Alsulami MO, Alogaibi WM, Mohammedsaleh AH, Mandourah HN, Albaity BS, et al. Knowledge and attitude toward hemoglobinopathies premarital screening program among unmarried population in western Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J. 2018;39:1226–31.
19. Sheikh Alaudeen S, Ganesan K. Knowledge, attitude, and practice of Malaysian medical students towards breast cancer: A cross-sectional study. Internal Medicine and Care. 2019;3:1–7.
20. Elshami M, Elshami A, Alshorbassi N, Alkhatib M, Ismail I, Abu-Nemer K, et al. Knowledge level of cancer symptoms and risk factors in the Gaza Strip: A cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2020;20:414.
21. Adibe MO, Aluh DO, Isah A, Anosike C. Knowledge, attitudes and perceptions of prostate cancer among male staff of the University of Nigeria. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2017;18:1961–6.
22. Gürdal SÖ, Saraçoğlu GV, Oran EŞ, Yankol Y, Soybir GR. The effects of educational level on breast cancer awareness: A cross-sectional study in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2012;13:295–300.
23. Ali-Risasi C, Mulumba P, Verdonck K, Vanden Broeck D, Praet M. Knowledge, attitude and practice about cancer of the uterine cervix among women living in Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of Congo. BMC Womens Health. 2014;14:30.
24. Golubev AG, Anisimov VN. Aging and cancer: Is glucose a mediator between them? Oncotarget. 2019;10:6758–67.
25. Miller KD, Fidler-Benaoudia M, Keegan TH, Hipp HS, Jemal A, Siegel RL. Cancer statistics for adolescents and young adults, 2020. CA Cancer J Clin. 2020;0:1–17
26. Kye SY, Hwang SY, Oh KH, Jun JK. Effects of a cancer prevention education program on elementary school students' knowledge, attitude, self-efficacy, and intentions in South Korea. Epidemiol Health. 2019;41:e2019027.
27. Al-Azri M, Al-Hamedi I, Al-Awisi H, Al-Hinai M, Davidson R. Public awareness of warning signs and symptoms of cancer in Oman: A community-based survey of adults. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015;16:2731–7.
28. Shi S, Brant AR, Sabolch A, Pollom E. False news of a cannabis cancer cure. Cureus. 2019;11:e3918.
29. Lafaye G, Karila L, Blecha L, Benyamina A. Cannabis, cannabinoids, and health. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2017;19:309–16.
30. Archie SR, Cucullo L. Harmful effects of smoking cannabis: A cerebrovascular and neurological perspective. Front Pharmacol. 2019;10:1481.
31. Kleckner AS, Kleckner IR, Kamen CS, Tejani MA, Janelsins MC, Morrow GR, et al. Opportunities for cannabis in supportive care in cancer. Ther Adv Med Oncol. 2019;11:1758835919866362.
Mazlan M, Che Hasan M, Mat Yusof A, Md Isa ML. An assessment of knowledge, attitude, and practice of the Kuantan community on the effects of monosaccharides on cancer. Makara J Health Res. 2020;24.