Background: Fucose is a deoxyhexose sugar. While the biological roles of L-fucose remain unclear, the sugar is known to accelerate the malignant potential of cancer cells. Therefore, this study aimed to evaluate the viability pattern of human cancer and normal cell lines treated with fucose.
Methods: The human gingival fibroblast (HGF-1), colorectal adenocarcinoma (HT-29) and skin malignant melanoma (A375) cell lines were cultured and treated with fucose at three concentrations of 1, 5, and 10 mg/ml. Cell viability was then measured using (3-(4, 5-dimethylthiazolyl-2)-2, 5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT) assay. The data were analyzed using Statistical Package for the Social Sciences software.
Results: The percentage of HGF-1 cell viability showed a rapid decline after day 1 of treatment. HT-29 and A375 were capable of surviving treatment with high fucose concentrations. The data were highly significant at p < 0.001.
Conclusion: Whereas a high concentration of fucose is toxic to the HGF-1 cell line, the HT-29 and A375 cell lines could potentially adapt to this condition. Down- or upregulation of certain molecules that could induce or inhibit cell death may explain such adaptation. Further testing of up- and downregulated molecules should be conducted in future work.
- Li W, Zhang X, Sang H, Zhou Y, Shang C, Wang Y, et al. Effects of hyperglycemia on the progression of tumor diseases. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2019;6:1–7.
- Dąbrowski M, Szymańska-Garbacz E, Miszczyszyn Z, Dereziński T, Czupryniak L. Risk factors for cancer development in type 2 diabetes: A retrospective case-control study. BMC Cancer. 2016;16:785.
- Keeley TS, Yang S, Lau E. The diverse contributions of fucose linkages in cancer. Cancers (Basel). 2019;11:1241.
- Becker DJ, Lowe JB. Fucose: biosynthesis and biological function in mammals. Glycobiology. 2003;13:41R–53R.
- Liu TC, Jin X, Wang Y, Wang K. Role of epidermal growth factor receptor in lung cancer and targeted therapies. Am J Cancer Res. 2017;7:187–202.
- Lu CY, Chen CN, Chu CY, Lu J, Wang BJ, Chen CH. Calreticulin activates β1 integrin via fucosylation by fucosyltransferase 1 in J82 human bladder cancer cells. Biochem J. 2014;460:69–78.
- Vajaria BN, Patel PS. Glycosylation: a hallmark of cancer?. Glycoconj J. 2017;34:147–56.
- Pickard JM, Chervonsky AV. Intestinal fucose as a mediator of host-microbe symbiosis. J Immunol. 2015;194:5588–93.
- Mathieu S, Prorok M, Benoliel AM, Uch R, Langlet C, Bongrand P, et al. Transgene expression of alpha(1,2)-fucosyltransferase-I (FUT1) in tumor cells selectively inhibits sialyl-Lewis x expression and binding to E-selectin without affecting synthesis of sialyl-Lewis a or binding to P-selectin. Am J Pathol. 2004;164:371–83.
- Ugorski M, Laskowska A. Sialyl lewis(a): A tumor-associated carbohydrate antigen involved in adhesion and metastatic potential of cancer cells. Acta Biochim Pol. 2002;49:303–11.
- Tan KP, Ho MY, Cho HC, Yu J, Hung JT, Yu AL. Fucosylation of LAMP-1 and LAMP-2 by FUT1 correlates with lysosomal positioning and autophagic flux of breast cancer cells. Cell Death Dis. 2016;7:e2347.
- Shahbuddin M. Development of konjac glucomannan hydrogels for wound healing. United Kingdom: University of Sheffield; 2014.
- Sarojini S, Ramesh V, Senthilkumaar P. Cytotoxicity effect of ethanolic extract of mikania glomerata against A549 human lung cancer cell line. Int J Adv Sci Res. 2016;02:139–45.
- Oyeleye OO, Ogundeji ST, Ola SI, Omitogun OG. Basics of animal cell culture: Foundation for modern science. Biotechnol Mol Biol Rev. 2016;11:6–16.
- Yorek MA, Dunlap JA. Effect of increased concentration of D-glucose or L-fucose on monocyte adhesion to endothelial cell monolayers and activation of nuclear factor-[kappa] B. Metab. 2002;51:225–34.
- Kumari S, Badana AK, G MM, G S, Malla R. Reactive oxygen species: A key constituent in cancer survival. Biomark Insights. 2018;13:1–9.
- Albensi BC. What is nuclear factor Kappa B (NF-κB) doing in and to the mitochondrion? Front Cell Dev Biol. 2019;7:1–7.
- Zhang L, Müller T, Baenziger JU, Janecke AR. Congenital disorders of glycosylation with emphasis on loss of dermatan-4-sulfotransferase. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2010;93:289–307.
- Jia L, Zhang J, Ma T, Guo Y, Yu Y, Cui J. The function of fucosylation in progression of lung cancer. Front Oncol. 2018;8:1–10.
- Carrascal MA, Silva M, Ramalho JS, Pen C, Martins M, Pascoal C, et al. Inhibition of fucosylation in human invasive ductal carcinoma reduces E-selectin ligand expression, cell proliferation, and ERK1/2 and p38 MAPK activation. Mol Oncol. 2018;12:579–93.
- Osuga T, Takimoto R, Ono M, Hirakawa M, Yoshida M, Okagawa Y, et al. Relationship between increased fucosylation and metastatic potential in colorectal cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016;108:1–9.
- Listinsky JJ, Siegal GP, Listinsky CM. The emerging importance of α -L-fucose in human breast cancer: A review. Am J Transl Res. 2011;3:292–322.
- Li M, Song L, Qin X. Glycan changes: Cancer metastasis and anti-cancer vaccines. J Biosci. 2010;35:665–73.
- Schneider M, Al-Shareffi E, Haltiwanger RS. Biological functions of fucose in mammals. Glycobiology. 2017;27:601–18.
- Mehta A, Herrera H, Block T. Glycosylation and liver cancer. Adv Cancer Res. 2015;126:257–79.
- Sawke NG, Sawke GK. Serum fucose level in malignant diseases. Indian J Cancer. 2010;47: 452–7.
- Deyasi SK, Aikat BK, Sengupta U. Serum fucose in the diagnosis of malignancy, and its relative merits. Indian J Pathol Bacteriol. 1975;18:16–20.
- Fernández-Rodríguez J, Páez de la Cadena M, Martínez-Zorzano VS, Rodríguez-Berrocal FJ. Fucose levels in sera and in tumours of colorectal adenocarcinoma patients. Cancer Lett. 1997;121:147–153.
- Shetlar MR., Foster JV, Kelly KH, Shetlar CL, Bryan RS, Everett MR. The serum polysaccharide level in malignancy and in other pathological conditions. Cancer Res. 1949;9:515–519.
- Takeda Y, Shinzaki S, Okudo K, Moriwaki K, Murata K, Miyoshi E. Fucosylated haptoglobin is a novel type of cancer biomarker linked to the prognosis after an operation in colorectal cancer. Cancer. 2012;118:3036–43.
- Loud JT, Murphy J. Cancer screening and early detection in the 21st century. Semin Oncol Nurs. 2017;33:121–8.
- Torre LA, Bray F, Siegel RL, Ferlay J, Lortet-Tieulent J, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin. 2015;65:87–108.
- Zhou Y, Fukuda T, Hang Q, Hou S, Isaji T, Kameyama A, et al. Inhibition of fucosylation by 2-fluorofucose suppresses human liver cancer HepG2 cell proliferation and migration as well as tumor formation. Sci Rep. 2017;7:11563.
- Bergandi L, Mungo E, Morone R, Bosco O, Rolando B, Doublier S. Hyperglycemia promotes chemoresistance through the reduction of the mitochondrial DNA damage, the Bax/Bcl-2 and Bax/Bcl-XL ratio, and the cells in sub-G1 phase due to antitumoral drugs induced-cytotoxicity in human colon adenocarcinoma cells. Front Pharmacol. 2018;9:1–23.
Mazlan MA, Yusof AM, Md Isa ML. Effects of L-fucose supplementation on the viability of cancer cell lines. Makara J Health Res. 2020;24.