Background: Elderly population and well-being of those are emerging as major challenges for families and communities. This study aimed to identify caregiving burden among caregivers who care for dependent elderly.
Methods: A cross sectional descriptive study was conducted in Tharkayta Township, Yangon, Myanmar. Total 200 caregivers were selected applying multi-stage sampling method and structured questionnaires were used to collect data. Dependent score of elderly was assessed by using Barthel Index of activities of daily living (ADL) and assessment of caregiver burden through Zarit Burden Interview.
Results: The results showed that over one fifth of caregivers 21.5% had experienced severe burden, 39.5% had experienced moderate burden, 32.5% had experienced mild burden and only 6.5% had experienced no/little burden. Among elderly population, 11.5% were fully dependent, 40.0% were highly dependent, 46.0% were semi dependent, and only 2.5% were almost independent. Burden of caregivers and dependent score of elderly were negatively correlated (ß = ̶ 0.247, p = 0.000) and statistically significant association between age group and burden level (X2 = 17.335, p = 0.008).
Conclusion: This study highlighted that community health nurses should emphasize on health education activities regarding caregivers training and home visit program for elderly and their caregivers.
1. Rao S, Salins N, Deodhar J, Muckaden, M. Developing a comprehensive cancer specific geriatric assessment tool. Indian J Cancer. 2015;52:94–7.
2. Preston SH, Stokes A. Sources of population aging in more and less developed Countries. Popul Dev Rev. 20012;38:221–36.
3. Latt NN, Myat Cho S, Htun NM, Yu Mon Saw, Myint MN, Aoki F, et al. Healthcare in Myanmar. Nagoya J Med Sci, 2016; 78:123–34.
4. Oo MY, Punpuing S, Chamchan C. Factor affecting quality of life of older people in Taungu Township, Bago region, Myanmar. J Health Res. 2015;29:235–42.
5. Knodel J, Teerawichitchainan B. Aging in Myanmar. Gerontologist. 2017;54:599–605.
6. Myint-Han. Health care of the elderly in Myanmar. Reg Health Forum. 2012;16:23–8.
7. Gurung S, Ghimire S. Role of family in elderly care [dissertation]. Kemi: Lapland University of Applied Sciences; 2014.
8. Luppa M, Luck T, Weyerer S, König HH, Brähler E, Riedel-Heller SG. Prediction of institutionalization in the elderly; a systematic review. Age Ageing. 2010;39:31–8.
9. Grabel E, Adabbo R. Perceived burden of informal caregivers of a chronically ill older family member: Burden in the context of the transactional stress model of Lazarus and Folkman. GeroPsych. 2011;4: 143–54.
10. World Health Organization. Healthy ageing profiles; guidance for producing local health profiles of older people. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2008.
11. Gratao ACM, Vendruscolo TRP, Talmelli LFDS, Figueiredo LC, Santos JLF, Rodrigues RAP. Burden and the emotional distress in caregivers of elderly individuals. Text Context Nurs. 2012;21: 304–12.
12. Arai Y, Zarit SH, Sugiura M, Washio M. Patterns of outcome of caregiving for the impaired elderly: A longitudinal study in rural Japan. Aging Ment Health. 2002;6:39–46.
13. Wan-Ibrahim WA, Zainab I. The availability of family support of rural elderly in Malaysia. World Appl Sci J. 2014;30:899–902.
14. Nortey ST, Aryeetey GC, Aikins M, Amendah D, Nonvignon J. Economic burden of family caregiving for elderly population in southern Ghana: The case of a peri-urban district. Int J Equity Health. 2017;16:1–9.
15. Bergman H, Karunananthan S, Robledo LMG, Brodsky J, Chan P, Cheung M, et al. Understanding and meeting the needs of the older population: A Global Challenge. Can Geriatr J. 2013;16:61–5.
16. Daniel WW, Cross CL. Biostatistics, A foundation for Analysis in the health Science. 10thed. United States of America; 2013.
17. Salama RAA, El-Soud FAA. Caregiver burden from caring for impaired elderly in rural lower Egypt. Ital J Public Health. 2012;9:8662–71.
18. Barthel DW, Mahoney FI. Functional Evaluation: The Barthel Index. Md State Med J. 1965;14:61–5.
19. Quinn TJ, Dawson J, Walters MR, Lees KR. Reliability of the modified Rankin Scale: systematic review. Stroke. 2009;40:3393–5.
20. Zarit SH, Reever KE, Bach-Peterson J. Relatives of the impaired elderly: Correlates of feelings of burden. Gerontologist. 1980;20:649–55.
21. National Institute on Aging. Older Americans, key indicators of well-being: Federal Interagency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics. Washington, DC: U.S.A Government; 2011.
22. Gupta R, Pillai VK, Levy EF. Relationship quality and elder caregiver burden in India. J Soc Interv. 2012;21:39–26.
23. Gleviczky V. Study of the Burden of Informal caregivers of Elderly in Kokkola [dissertation]. Centria University of Applied Sciences; 2014.
24. Loureiro LDSN, Fernandes MDGM, Marques S, Nóbrega MMLD, Rodrigues RA. Burden in family caregivers of the elderly: Prevalence and association with characteristics of the elderly and the caregivers. Orig Article. 2013;47:1129–36.
25. Holdsworth JK. Burden of Care Impacting Family Caregivers of Dependent Community-Dwelling Older Adults in Rural and Urban Settings of Southern Turkey [dissertation]. Germany: Technical University of Dortmund; 2013.
26. Yurtsever S, Ozge A, Kara A, Yandım A, Kalav S, Yeşil. The relationship between care burden and social support in Turkish Alzheimer patients’ family caregivers. J Nurs Educ Pract. 2013;3:1–10.
27. Kamel AM. Who are the elder’s caregivers in Jordan. J Nurs Edu Pract. 2015;6:116–21.
28. Couto AM, Castro EAB, Caldas CP. Experiences to be a family caregiver of dependent elderly in the home environment. Rev Rene. 2016;17:76–85.
29. Lloyd-Sherlock P, McKee M, Ebrahim S, Gorman M, Greengross S, Prince M, et al. Ageing well: A global priority. Lancet. 2012;379:1274.
30. World Health Organization. Knowledge Translation Framework for Ageing and Health. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2012.
31. Pinquart M, Sorensen S. Ethnic differences in stressors, resources and psychological outcomes of family caregiving: A metanalysis. Gerontologist. 2005;45:90–106.
32. Yuksel G, Valribas F, Karlikaya G, Sipka Y, Treli H. Caregiver burden in parkinson disease. Mov Disord. 2007;10:26-34.
33. Awad MM, El-Gammal HA, Fahmy MT, Imam E. Relationship between care giving process and disability of the elderly. Med J Cairo Univ. 2010;78:31–7.
Naing M, May S, Aung M. Caregiver burden from caring for dependent elderly in Yangon, The Republic of the Union of Myanmar. Makara J Health Res. 2020;24.