Background: Information on oral health practices can play a key role in improving a community’s oral health status. The aim of this study was to determine oral healthcare practices of Turkish individuals.
Methods: A questionnaire was randomly given to 351 individuals, all of them older than 18 years. This cross-sectional study data were analyzed using descriptive statistical methods and chi-square test. Statistical significance was evaluated at p < 0.05.
Results: According this study, 62.1% of individuals visited the dentist only when they needed to. Furthermore, 58% of individuals brushed their teeth twice a day; 12.5% of them used miswak; 50.4% used dental floss, toothpicks, or mouthwash; and 86.6% stated that they didn’t use any other herbal/traditional tooth cleaning method. Additionally, 39.8% of the individuals reported that they ate sweetened foods 1–2 times a day, and 33.6% of them drank acidic beverages 1–2 times a month. Although the frequency of visiting a dentist and using herbal/traditional practices did not differ among individuals (p ˃ 0.05), frequency of consuming sweetened food did differ (p = 0.032).
Conclusions: Toothbrushing and interdental cleaning habits differed among individuals, while frequency of dentist visits and alternative methods of cleaning teeth did not differ.
- Gallagher A, Sowinski J, Bowman J, Barrett K, Lowe S, Patel K, et al. The effect of brushing time and dentifrice on dental plaque removal in vivo. J Dent Hyg. 2009;83:111–6.
- Newby EE, Martinez-Mier EA, Zero DT, Kelly SA, Fleming N, North M, et al. A randomised clinical study to evaluate the effect of brushing duration on fluoride levels in dental biofilm fluid and saliva in children aged 4-5 years. Int Dent J. 2013;63:39–47.
- Jackson MA, Kellett M, Worthington HV, Clerehugh V. Comparison of interdental cleaning methods: A randomized controlled trial. J Periodontal. 2006;77: 1421–9.
- Hujoel PP, Cunha-Cruz J, Banting DW, Loesche WJ. Dental flossing and interproximal caries: A systematic review. J Dent Res. 2006;85:298–305.
- Sofrata AH. Salvadora persica (MISWAK): An effective way of killing oral pathogens. From the division of periodontology, department of dental medicine [dissertation]. Sweden: Karolinska Institutet; 2010.
- Hattab FN. Miswak: the natural toothbrush. J Clin Dent. 1997;8:125–9.
- Llena Puy C, Forner Navarro L. Evidence concerning the medical management of caries. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2008;13:325–30.
- Goldstein BH. Unconventional dentistry: Part I. Introduction. J Can Dent Assoc. 2000;66:323–6.
- Meredith MJ. Herbal nutriceuticals: A primer for dentists and dental hygienists. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2001;15:1–24.
- Little JW. Complementary and alternative medicine: Impact on dentistry. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2004;98:137–45.
- Yılmaz HH, Gormez O, Hastar E, Yildirim D, Aksoy MC. Garlic burn in a patient with trigeminal neuralgia: A case report. Eur J Dent. 2010;4:88–90.
- Little JW. Complementary and alternative medicine: impact on dentistry. Oral Surg Oral Med. 2004;98:137–45.
- Zhang H, Zeng Z, Deng H. Acupuncture treatment for 157 cases of anxiety neurosis. J Tradit Chin Med. 2003;23:55–6.
- Amrutesh S. Dentistry and ayurveda—1. Indian J Dent Res. 2003;14:1–5.
- Sastravaha G, Yotnuengnit P, Booncong P, Sangtherapitikul P. Adjunctive periodontal treatment with Centella asiatica and Punica granatum extracts. A preliminary study. J Int Acad Periodontol. 2003;5:106–15.
- Pistorius A, Willershausen B, Steinmeier EM, Kreislert M. Efficacy of subgingival irrigation using herbal extracts on gingival inflammation. J Periodontol. 2003;74:616–22.
- Develioglu H, Gedik R, Tufan N, Yalcin D. Bireylerin oral hijyen araçları ve bilgilerinin araştırılması. CÜ Diş Hek Fak Derg. 2001;4:15–9.
- Ozmeric N, Kofteci B, Kurtis B, Bal B. Arayüz bakımı ve periodontal sağlık. G.Ü. Dişhek Fak Der. 1994;11:33–8.
- Gomec Y, Oncu B, Yaman BC. Frequency of usage of mouth rinses in the society. J Istanb Univ Fac Dent. 2010;44:115–24.
- Gomec Y, Soltani S, Yaman BC. Frequency of usage of interdental brush in the society. J Istanb Univ Fac Dent. 2010; 44:103–13.
- Aydın U, Uskun E, Yildirim D, Hastar E. Unconventional dental treatment methods used by patients who applied to Suleyman Demirel University Faculty of Dentistry (Preliminary Study). S.D.Ü Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü Dergisi. 2013;4:57–62.
- Congara KT, Mokhtari TA. Evaluation of dietary habits, oral health behaviors and dmft index of dental students. AÜ Dis Hek Fak Derg. 2017;44:1–7.
- Bernabe E, Vehkalahti MM, Sheiham A, Aromaa A, Suominen A L. Sugar-sweetened beverages and dental caries in adults: a 4-year prospective study. J Dent. 2014;42:952–8.
- Okutan Y, Dönmez MB, Yücel MT. The effect of socioeconomic conditions on oral health status of dentistry students: A questionnaire based study. Selcuk Dent J. 2017;4:59–67.
- Erdoğan A, Bozkurt Aİ, Ergin A, Topaloğlu S, Aydın A, Arslan A, et al. Oral-dental health evaluation of the Pamukkale University Medical School students. Pam Tıp Derg. 2015;8:1–9.
- Ganss C, Schlueter N, Preiss S, Klimek J. Tooth brushing habits in uninstructed adults—frequency, technique, duration and force. Clin Oral Invest. 2009;13:203–8.
- Christensen LB, Petersen PE, Krustrup U, Kjøller M. Self-reported oral hygiene practices among adults in Denmark. Community Dent Health. 2003;20:229–35.
- Al-Shammari KF, Al-Ansari JM, Al-Khabbaz AK, Dashti A, Honkala EJ. Self-reported oral hygiene habits and oral health problems of Kuwaiti adults. Med Princ Pract. 2007;16:15–21.
- Macgregor IDM, Rugg-Gunn AJ. Toothbrushing duration in 60 uninstructed young adults. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1985;13:121–2.
- Mauriello SM, Bader JD, George MC, Klute PA. Effectiveness of three interproximal cleaning devices. Clin Prev Dent. 1987;9:18–22.
- Gokalp S, Guciz Dogan B, Tekcicek M, Berberoglu A, Unluer S. The oral health profile of adults and elderly, Turkey-2004. J Hacettepe Fac Dent. 2007;31:11–8.
- Olusile AO, Adeniyi AA, Orebanjo O. Self-rated oral health status, oral health service utilization, and oral hygiene practices among adult Nigerians. BMC Oral Health. 2014; 14:140–8.
- Al Sadhan RI, Almas KH. Miswak (chewing stick): a cultural and scientific heritage. Saudi Dent J. 1999;11:80–7.
- Darout IA, Albander JM. Periodontal status of adult Sudanese habitual users of miswak chewing sticks or toothbrushes. Acta Odontol Scand. 2000;58:25–30.
- Tubaishat RS, Darby ML, Bauman DB, Box CE. Use of miswak versus toothbrushes: oral health beliefs and behaviours among a sample of Jordanian adults. Int J Dent Hyg. 2005; 3:126–36.
- Asadi SGR, Asadi ZG. Chewing sticks and the oral hygiene habits of the adult Pakistani population. Int Dent J.1997;47:275–8.
- Dogan BG, Gokalp S. Caries Status and Treatment Needs in Turkey, 2004. J Hacettepe Fac Dent. 2008;32:45–57.
- Yazıcıoğlu Y, Erdoğan S. Research methods with SPSS practice. Ankara, Turkey: Detay Yayıncılık; 2004.
- Duncan D. Nulty The adequacy of response rates to online and paper surveys: what can be done? Assess Eval High Educ. 2008;33:301–14.
Koseoglu M, Bal O, Turkan HB, Cetin B, Tascioglu M, Aydin N, et al. Oral care practices of adults in Turkey. Makara J Health Res. 2020;24.