Background: Sexual behavior of young individual are recognized as one of the main health priority in society. In Cambodia, young individual who hasten to involve in sexual intercourse, contributes to their high risk of various health issues, particularly those related to sexual reproductive health. This research will identify specific characteristics that have strong relationships with pre-marital sexual intercourse among unmarried young individuals in Cambodia. Methods: A binary logistic regression in a multivariate analysis of secondary data was applied from the 2014 cambodian demographic and health survey. the data about pre-marital sexual intercourse were assessed with the CDHS questionnaire including as age, sex, education, place of resident, risky behavior, living arrangement, and exposure to mass media, knowledge about sexual and reproductive health and HIV prevention. Results: age (p = 0.000), sex (p = 0.000), place of residence (p = 0.000), staying away experience (p = 0.001), and smoking behavior (p = 0.000), were significantly associated with pre-marital sexual intercourse among unmarried young individuals. Conclusion: Appropriate reproductive health promotion programs and disease prevention strategies must be organized for target groups of young individuals who engage in pre-marital sexual intercourse. Moreover, comprehensive reproductive health education should be disseminated to increase awareness of risky sexual behavior and allow young individuals to make informed decisions regarding their sexual practices.
- United Nations. Population facts. Department of Economic and Social Affair. New York: United Nation, 2015.
- World Health Organization. HIV and young people who inject drug. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organizaton, 2015.
- Tangmunkongvorakul A, Carmichael G, Banwell C, Utomo ID, Sleigh A. Sexual perceptions and practices of young people in Northern Thailand. J Youth Studi. 2011; 14:315–39.
- Baryamutuma R, Baingana F. Sexual, reproductive health needs and rights of young people with perinatally acquired HIV in Uganda. Afr Health Sci. 2011;11:211–8.
- Haruna A, Ibrahim AA, Gender, Age differential implication in premarital sex among adolescent and young adults. Glob J Arts Hum Soc Sci. 2014;2:69–76.
- Baldwin P, Shrestha R, Potrepka J, Copenhaver M. The age of initiation of drug use and sexual behavior may influence subsequent HIV risk behavior: A systematic review. ISRN AIDS. 2013;2:976035.
- Abdullahi M, Umar A. Consequences of pre-marital sex among the youth a study of University of Maiduguri. IOSR J Hum Soc Sci. 2013;10:10–7.
- Scott ME, Wildsmith E, Welti K, Ryan S, Schelar E, Steward‐Streng NR. Risky adolescent sexual behaviors and reproductive health in young adulthood. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2011;43:110–8.
- Peҫi B. Peer influence and adolescent sexual behavior trajectories: Links to sexual initation. Eur J Multidiscip Stud. 2017;2:96–105.
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). ASEAN Statistical YearBook (ASYB) 2015. Jakarta: The ASEAN Secretariat Jakarta, 2016.
- Yi S, Poudel KC, Yasuoka J, Palmer PH, Yi S, Jimba M. Role of risk and protective factors in risky sexual behavior among high school students in Cambodia. BMC Pub Health. 2010;10:477.
- Lopez JR, Mukaire PE, Mataya RH. Characteristics of youth sexual and reproductive health and risky behaviors in two rural provinces of Cambodia. Reprod Health. 2015:7;12:83.
- Yi S, Tuot S, Yung K, Kim S, Chhea C, Saphonn V. Factors associated with risky sexual behavior among unmarried most-at-risk young people in Cambodia. Am J Pub Health Res.2014;2:211–20.
- United Nations Population Fund. News-5 facts about young people sexual and reproductive health in Cambodia. Cambodia: UNFPA Cambodia; 2017.
- Kam JK, Wong LK, Fu KC. Creation of Sexually Transmitted Diseases Education Program for Young Adults in rural Cambodia. Front Pub Health. 2019;7:50.
- United Nations. Fact sheet-definition of youth. Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA).
- Taye A, Asmare I. Prevalence of premarital sexual practice and associated factors among adolescents of Jimma Preparatory School Oromia Region, South West Ethiopia. J Nurs Care. 2016;5:353.
- Stephenson R. Community influences on young people's sexual behavior in 3 African countries. Am J Public Health. 2009;99:102–9.
- Amoateng AY, Kalule-Sabiti I. Social structure and sexual behaviour of Black African adolescents in the North West Province, South Africa. S Afr Rev Sociol. 2013;44:131–57.
- Cavazos-Rehg PA, Krauss MJ, Spitznagel EL, Schootman M, Bucholz KK, Peipert JF, et al. Age of sexual debut among US adolescents. Contraception. 2009;80:158–62.
- Santhya KG, Jejeebhoy SJ, Ghosh S. Early marriage and sexual and reproductive health risks: Experiences of young women and men in Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, India. New York: Population Council; 2008.
- Ministry of Women Affair. Policy brief 2-attitudes gender relations and attitudes gender assessment. Phnom Penh, Cambodia: Ministry of Women Affair; 2014.
- Folayan MO, Adebajo S, Adeyemi A, Ogungbemi KM. Differences in sexual practices, sexual behavior and HIV risk profile between adolescents and young persons in rural and urban Nigeria. PloS One. 2015;10:e0129106.
- Ministry of Planning. National Strategic Development Plan 2014-2018. Cambodia: Ministry of Planning, 2014, p.268.
- Egondi T, Kabiru C, Beguy D, Kanyiva M, Jessor R. Adolescent home-leaving and the transition to adulthood: A psychosocial and behavioural study in the slums of Nairobi. Int J Behav Dev. 2013;37:298-308.
Mai V, Kittisuksathit S. Factors influencing pre-marital sexual intercourse among unmarried young individuals in Cambodia. Makara J Health Res. 2019;23.