As well reserved depleted and limited, it is necessary to lower the capital expenditure so that lifting SZ reservoir be more profitable. This article first contextualizes the effort done to increase the hydrocarbon lifting in a mature field. Despite the importance to sustain the production, and massive studies done to quantify the associate risk, no structured methodology proposed to manage the risk in respect to optimize the production expenditure by selection of carbon steel as alternative for corrosion resistance material piping. Hence, this article proposed a framework to support the decision-making process to operate in safely manner. Real case study proposed and evaluated shown 6.72-millimetre metal loss due to SEC and CO2 corrosion is expected to occur within 5 years’ design life. Hence, carbon steel pipe is allowed considering the risk mitigation define are provided and continuously monitored. Results shows the proposed framework increase the confidence level in putting the assessment results into proper decision-making process whilst improving the integrity management system.
1. Herawati S, Setiawan T, Wijaya R, Abidiy I. Sand Control Technique Evolution in Tunu Field: Innovative and Continuous Solutions to Unlock Remaining Shallow Zone Potential. Proc Indones Pet Assoc 42nd Annu Conv Exhib. 2018;(May).
2. Soemardan S, Purwanto WW, . A. Production Optimization for Plan of Gas Field Development Using Marginal Cost Analysis. MAKARA J Technol Ser. 2013;17(2).
3. Kahyarian A, Brown B, Nesic S. Electrochemistry of CO2 corrosion of mild steel: Effect of CO2 on iron dissolution reaction. Corros Sci. 2017 Dec 1;129:146–51.
4. Kahyarian A, Achour M, Nesic S. CO2 corrosion of mild steel. Trends in Oil and Gas Corrosion Research and Technologies: Production and Transmission. 2017. 149–190 p.
5. Song FM. A comprehensive model for predicting CO2 corrosion rate in oil and gas production and transportation systems. Electrochim Acta. 2010 Jan 1;55(3):689–700.
6. Zhao L, Yan Y, Yan X. A semi-empirical model for CO2 erosion-corrosion of carbon steel pipelines in wet gas-solid flow. J Pet Sci Eng [Internet]. 2021;196(July 2020):107992. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2020.107992
7. Hernandez S, Hassani S, Nassef AS. Erosion–corrosion. Trends Oil Gas Corros Res Technol Prod Transm [Internet]. 2017;3:341–362. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-101105-8.00014-0
8. Rajahram SS, Harvey TJ, Wood RJK. Erosion-corrosion resistance of engineering materials in various test conditions. Wear. 2009;267(1–4):244–54.
9. Burson-Thomas CB, Wood RJK. Developments in Erosion–Corrosion Over the Past 10 Years. J Bio- Tribo-Corrosion. 2017;3(2):1–9.
10. Stephenson DJ, Nicholls JR. Modelling erosive wear. Corros Sci [Internet]. 1993;35(5):1015–26. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0010938X9390320G
11. Owen J, Ramsey C, Barker R, Neville A. Erosion-corrosion interactions of X65 carbon steel in aqueous CO2 environments. Wear [Internet]. 2018;414–415(September):376–89. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2018.09.004
12. Dhaneswara, D., Agustina, A.S., Adhy, P.D., Delayori, F. and Fatriansyah, J.F., 2018, April. The Effect of Pluronic 123 Surfactant concentration on The N2 Adsorption Capacity of Mesoporous Silica SBA-15: Dubinin-Astakhov Adsorption Isotherm Analysis. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series (Vol. 1011, No. 1, p. 012017). IOP Publishing.
13. Fatriansyah, J.F., Situmorang, F.W. and Dhaneswara, D., 2018, September. Ekstraksi silika dari sekam padi: metode refluks dengan NaOH dan pengendapan menggunakan asam kuat (HCl) dan asam lemah (CH3COOH). In Prosiding Seminar Nasional Fisika Universitas Riau ke (Vol. 3, No. 2018).
14. Eduok U, Szpunar J. Corrosion inhibitors for sweet oilfield environment (CO2 corrosion). Corrosion Inhibitors in the Oil and Gas Industry. 2020. 177–227 p.
15. Nesic S, Postlethwaite J, Vrhovac M. C0 2 Corrosion of Carbon Steel - From Mechanistic to Empirical Modelling. 1997;211–40.
16. Mutahhar F, Aithan G, Iski E V., Keller MW, Shirazi S, P. Roberts K. Mechanistic modeling of erosion-corrosion for carbon steel [Internet]. Trends in Oil and Gas Corrosion Research and Technologies: Production and Transmission. Elsevier Ltd; 2017. 749–763 p. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-101105-8.00031-0
17. Waard C de, Milliams D. Carbonic Acid Corrosion of Steel. Corrosion. 1975;31:177–81.
18. Bahadori A. Corrosion in Pipelines and Piping Systems. Oil and Gas Pipelines and Piping Systems. 2017. 395–481 p.
19. Nešić S. Key issues related to modelling of internal corrosion of oil and gas pipelines - A review. Corros Sci. 2007;49(12):4308–38.
20. Dugstad A, Lunde L, Videm K. Parametric study of CO2 corrosion of carbon steel. In 1994.
21. Waard C de, Lotz, Dugstad A. Influence of Liquid Flow Velocity on CO2 Corrosion: A Semi-Empirical Model. 128. 1995;Corrosion/(Nace International).
22. Zeng L, Zhang GA, Guo XP. Erosion-corrosion at different locations of X65 carbon steel elbow. Corros Sci [Internet]. 2014;85:318–30. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2014.04.045
23. Ashby MF, Jones DRH. Engineering materials 1: an introduction to properties, applications and design. Vol. 1. Elsevier; 2012.
24. Wee SK, Yap YJ. CFD study of sand erosion in pipeline. J Pet Sci Eng [Internet]. 2019;176(June 2018):269–78. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2019.01.001
25. Islam MA, Farhat Z. Erosion-corrosion mechanism and comparison of erosion-corrosion performance of API steels. Wear [Internet]. 2017;376–377:533–41. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2016.12.058
26. Liu JG, BaKeDaShi WL, Li ZL, Xu YZ, Ji WR, Zhang C, et al. Effect of flow velocity on erosion–corrosion of 90-degree horizontal elbow. Wear [Internet]. 2017;376–377:516–25. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2016.11.015
27. Aguirre J, Walczak M, Rohwerder M. The mechanism of erosion-corrosion of API X65 steel under turbulent slurry flow: Effect of nominal flow velocity and oxygen content. Wear. 2019;438–439(April).
28. Vieira RE. Sand erosion model improvement for elbows in gas production, multiphase annular and low-liquid flow. University of Tulsa; 2014.
29. Elemuren R, Tamsaki A, Evitts R, Oguocha INA, Kennell G, Gerspacher R, et al. Erosion-corrosion of 90° AISI 1018 steel elbows in potash slurry: Effect of particle concentration on surface roughness. Wear [Internet]. 2019;430–431(March):37–49. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2019.04.014
30. Nguyen VB, Nguyen QB, Zhang YW, Lim CYH, Khoo BC. Effect of particle size on erosion characteristics. Wear [Internet]. 2016;348–349:126–37. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2015.12.003
31. Islam MA, Farhat ZN. Effect of impact angle and velocity on erosion of API X42 pipeline steel under high abrasive feed rate. Wear [Internet]. 2014;311(1–2):180–90. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2014.01.005
32. Fujisawa K, Ohki M, Fujisawa N. Influence of surface roughness on liquid droplet impingement erosion. Wear [Internet]. 2019;432–433(February):202955. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2019.202955
33. Javaheri V, Porter D, Kuokkala VT. Slurry erosion of steel – Review of tests, mechanisms and materials. Wear [Internet]. 2018;408–409(July 2017):248–73. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2018.05.010
34. DNV-GL. DNVGL-RP-0501: Managing sand production and erosion. DNVGL-RP-0501 2018.
35. NACE. NACE Publication 21413 Prediction of Internal Corrosion in Oilfield Systems from System Conditions. NACE Publication; 2017.
36. Mutahhar F. Erosion-Corrosion for Carbon Steel in Sweet Production With Sand Production: Modelling and Experiments. The University of Tulsa; 2012.
37. Bianco D. Semi Quantitative Risk Analysis. United States America: United States Patent; US008050993B2, 2011.
38. Gadd S, Keeley D, Lane B. RR151: Good practice and pitfalls in risk assessment [Internet]. Health and Safety Executive. 2003. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr151.pdf
39. Hartoyo F, Ovelia H. The Optimization Of Failure Risk Estimation On The Uniform Corrosion Rate With A Non-Linear Function. J Mater Explor Find. 2022;1(1).
40. HSE-MTH. MHK-COMP-TKO-HSE-MTH-0026: HSE 06-606 Risk Management [Unpublished Reference]. Revision 0. Pertamina Hulu Mahakam. 2019
Tiggor, Triadhi Panthun and Riastuti, Rini
"Risk Management of Carbon Steel Piping in Sweet Environment Multiphase Fluid Production,"
Journal of Materials Exploration and Findings (JMEF): Vol. 1:
2, Article 4.
Available at: https://scholarhub.ui.ac.id/jmef/vol1/iss2/4