The effort to select the best pylon material, part of below-knee leg prosthetic, has been performed. It begins with function analysis to generate design requirement, which concludes that the objective is to select material that gives proper mechanical properties with lowest weigth and cost. Constraint requirements eliminate unsuitable material. Material indices, a scoring function, are derived from objective with respect to a function, and used for ranking material candidates. Ranking from material indices gives top material candidates of woods. Al alloy, Mg alloy, and ferrous alloy. Further seek of documentation is undertaken by failure analysis, value analysis, fabrication, and environmental impact. The final decision is PLA carbon fibre is the best material for pylon of below knee in respect to performance to weigth and cost.
- M.-S. Scholz et al., “The use of composite materials in modern orthopaedic medicine and prosthetic devices: A review,” Compos. Sci. Technol., vol. 71, no. 16, pp. 1791–1803, 2011.
- K. M. Olesnavage and A. G. Winter, “A Novel Framework for Quantitatively Connecting the Mechanical Design of Passive Prosthetic Feet to Lower Leg Trajectory,” IEEE Trans. Neural Syst. Rehabil. Eng., vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1544–1555, 2018.
- H. S. Sidhu and S. Kumar, “Design and fabrication of prosthetic leg,” A J. Compos. Theory, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 973–981, 2019.
- Y. K. Chakravarthy, P. Vigneshwar, P. V Kedarnath, Y. S. Harish, and A. Srinath, “Optimum Material Selection to Prosthetic Leg through Intelligent Interface of RSM and FEA,” Mater. Today Proc., vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 1998–2007, 2017.
- B. Murphy, D. Porcincula, D. Morgan, K. Ruggles, and C. Aguayo, “Prosthetic leg kit for deployment in developing countries,” 2016.
- R. Ranganathan, S. K. P. Mohan, A. Pugalendhi, and S. Arumugam, “Design and development of a prosthetic leg for an amputated peacock using additive manufacturing,” Int. J. Rapid Manuf., vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 356–373, 2018.
- R. S. Duryat, “The screwdriver: A basic review on design and material selection,” in AIP Conference Proceedings, 2020, vol. 2262, no. 1, p. 40005.
- M. F. Ashby, Materials Selection in Mechanical Design, 4th ed. 2011.
- L. Abarca-Gómez et al., “Worldwide trends in body-mass index, underweight, overweight, and obesity from 1975 to 2016: a pooled analysis of 2416 population-based measurement studies in 128· 9 million children, adolescents, and adults,” Lancet, vol. 390, no. 10113, pp. 2627–2642, 2017.
- N. C. D. R. F. Collaboration and others, “Rising rural body-mass index is the main driver of the global obesity epidemic in adults,” Nature, vol. 569, no. 7755, p. 260, 2019.
- W. C. C. Lee and M. Zhang, “Fatigue test of low-cost flexible-shank monolimb trans-tibial prosthesis,” Prosthet. Orthot. Int., vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 305–315, 2006.
- S. Chatterjee, S. Majumder, A. RoyChowdhury, and S. Pal, “Problems with use of trans-tibial prosthesis,” J. Med. Imaging Heal. Informatics, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 269–284, 2016.
- M. M. Farag, Materials and process selection for engineering design. CRC Press, 2020.
- M. Chalid, A. I. Fikri, H. H. Satrio, M. Joshua, and J. F. Fatriansyah, “An investigation of the melting temperature effect on the rate of solidification in polymer using a modified phase field model,” Int J Technol, vol. 7, pp. 1321–1328, 2017.
- J. F. Fatriansyah, M. J. Y. Barmaki, R. Lailani, and M. Chalid, “Crystallization kinetics study of impact polypropylene copolymer with kenaf as nucleating agent and reinforcement,” Int. J. Technol., vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 999–1009, 2019.
- M. S. A.-D. Tahir and F. M. Kadhim, “Design and Manufacturing of New Low (Weight and Cost) 3D Printed Pylon Prosthesis for Amputee,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2021, vol. 1094, no. 1, p. 12144.
- M. P. Groover, Fundamentals of modern manufacturing: materials, processes, and systems. John Wiley & Sons, 2020.
- J. Howarth, S. S. R. Mareddy, and P. T. Mativenga, “Energy intensity and environmental analysis of mechanical recycling of carbon fibre composite,” J. Clean. Prod., vol. 81, pp. 46–50, 2014.
Rizqillah, Raihan Kenji
"Material Selection of Below-knee Leg Prosthetics,"
Journal of Materials Exploration and Findings (JMEF): Vol. 1:
1, Article 6.
Available at: https://scholarhub.ui.ac.id/jmef/vol1/iss1/6