Yasemin Yavuz : 0000-0001-5961-4996
Sedef Kotanli : 0000-0002-0827-0991
Mehmet Sinan Doğan : 0000-0002-3089-1305
Kemal Doğan : 0000-0002-9770-8069
Background: The aim of this study was to compare three different pulp coverage materials with calcium silicate content considering microleakage in the cavity floor and evaluate the gaps with a stereomicroscope and scanning electron microscope SEM.
Methods: A total of 40 human molar teeth were used in this study, and class V (4 mm mesio-distal × 3 mm gingivo-occlusal × 3 mm depth) cavities were prepared. The samples were divided into four groups (N = 10), including NeoPutty(Nusmile), Biodentin (Septodont), and TheraCal PT (Bisco). All groups were restored using Single Bond Universal adhesive and Filtek Z250 (3M ESPE). The 0.5% basic fuchsin dye leakage was examined at 40× magnification under a stereomicroscope. SEM analysis revealed that the magnification was fixed at 1.00 KX on all the images. The gaps between the pulp coverage material and the cavity floor dentin were measured from four different points.
Results: The different microleakage scores were statistically significant (p < 0.05) when the pulp coverage materials were compared considering microleakage.
Conclusions: Within the scope of this study, the biocompatible pulp coating materials NeoPutty and Biodentin showed the least microleakage at the cavity floor and the smallest gaps on the dentin material combined surfaces. By contrast, TheraCal showed increased microleakage and large gaps.
- Darsan J, Pai VS, Gowda VB, Krishnakumar GR, Nadig RR. Evaluation of gingival microleakage in deep class II closed sandwich composite restoration: An in vitro study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2018;12:1–5.
- Rodríguez-Lozano FJ, López-García S, García-Bernal D, Sanz JL, Lozano A, Pecci-Lloret MP, et al. Cytocompatibility and bioactive properties of the new dual-curing resin-modified calcium silicate-based material for vital pulp therapy. Clin Oral Investig. 2021;25:5009–24.
- Sun Q, Gustin JW, Tian FC, Sidow SJ, Bergeron BE, Ma JZ, et al. Effects of pre-mixed hydraulic calcium silicate putties on osteogenic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells in vitro. J Dent. 2021;108:103653.
- İpek İ, Ünal M, Güner A, Candan M. Push-out bond strength of Biodentine, MTA repair HP, and a new pre-mixed NeoPutty bioactive cement: Scanning electron microscopy energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy analysis. J Aust Ceram Soc. 2022;58:171–9.
- Sun Q, Meng M, Steed JN, Sidow SJ, Bergeron BE, Niu LN, et al. Manoeuvrability and biocompatibility of endodontic tricalcium silicate-based putties. J Dent. 2021;104:103530.
- Sarkar NK, Caicedo R, Ritwik P, Moiseyeva R, Kawashima I. Physicochemical basis of the biologic properties of mineral trioxide aggregate. J Endod. 2005;31:97–100.
- Sanz JL, Soler-Doria A, López-García S, García-Bernal D, Rodríguez-Lozano FJ, Lozano A, et al. Comparative biological properties and mineralization potential of 3 endodontic materials for vital pulp therapy: Theracal PT, Theracal LC, and Biodentine on human dental pulp stem cells. J Endod. 2021;47:1896–906.
- Raghavendra SS, Jadhav GR, Gathani KM, Kotadia P. Bioceramics in endodontics - A review. J Istanb Univ Fac Dent. 2017;51:S128–37.
- Laurent P, Camps J, About I. Biodentine(TM) induces TGF-β1 release from human pulp cells and early dental pulp mineralization. Int Endod J. 2012;45:439–48.
- Docimo R, Carrante VF, Costacurta M. The physical-mechanical properties and biocompatibility of BiodentineTM: A review. J Osseointegration. 2021;13:47–50.
- Iovan G, Solomon S, Stoleriu S, Ghiorghe AC, Nica I, Taraboanta I, et al. Influence of dental humidity on marginal adaptation of biodentine restorations. Mater Plast. 2019;56:578–81.
- Atmeh AR, Chong EZ, Richard G, Festy F, Watson TF. Dentin-cement interfacial interaction: calcium silicates and polyalkenoates. J Dent Res. 2012;91:454–9.
- Koubi S, Elmerini H, Koubi G, Tassery H, Camps J. Quantitative evaluation by glucose diffusion of microleakage in aged calcium silicate-based open-sandwich restorations. Int J Dent. 2012;2012:105863.
- Elbanna A, Atta D, Sherief DI. In vitro bioactivity of newly introduced dual-cured resin-modified calcium silicate cement. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2022;19:1.
- Yadav G, Rehani U, Rana V. A comparative evaluation of marginal leakage of different restorative materials in deciduous molars: An in vitro study. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2012;5:101–7.
- Choudhary D. An In-vitro study to determine the sealing ability of biodentine when used as a class II Restorative material. J Clin Diagn Res. 2020;14:11–5.
- Orłowski M, Tarczydło B, Chałas R. Evaluation of marginal integrity of four bulk-fill dental composite materials: In vitro study. ScientificWorldJournal. 2015;2015:701262.
- Yavuz I, Aydin AH. New method for measurement of surface areas of microleakage at the primary teeth by biomolecule characteristics of methilene blue. Biotechnol Biotechnol Equip. 2005;19:181–7.
- Santini A, Ivanovic V, Ibbetson R, Milia E. Influence of cavity configuration on microleakage around Class V restorations bonded with seven self-etching adhesives. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2004;16:128–35.
- Reis MS, Scarparo RK, Signor B, Bolzan JT, Steier L, Figueiredo JAP. Pulp capping with mineral trioxide aggregate or Biodentine: A comparison of mineralized barrier formation and inflammatory and degenerative events. Braz Oral Res. 2021;35:e118.
- Yıkılgan İ, Akgül S, Kuşoğlu A, Bala O, Ömürlü H, Türköz ME. Farklı kaide materyali kullanımının sınıf V restorasyonların mikrosızıntısı üzerine etkisi. Acta Odontol Turc. 2017;34:31–7.
- Brenes-Valverde K, Conejo-Rodríguez E, Vega-Baudrit JR, Montero-Aguilar M, Chavarría-Bolaños D. Evaluation of microleakage by gas permeability and marginal adaptation of MTA and biodentine™ apical plugs: In vitro study. Odovtos-Int J Dent Sci. 2018;20:57–67.
- Jang E, Lee J, Nam S, Kwon T, Kim H. Comparison of microleakage and compressive strength of different base materials. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent. 2021;48:168–75.
- Refaei P, Jahromi MZ, Moughari AAK. Comparison of the microleakage of mineral trioxide aggregate, calcium-enriched mixture cement, and Biodentine orthograde apical plug. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2020;17:66–72.
- Fronza BM, Rueggeberg FA, Braga RR, Mogilevych B, Soares LE, Martin AA, et al. Monomer conversion, microhardness, internal marginal adaptation, and shrinkage stress of bulk-fill resin composites. Dent Mater. 2015;31:1542–51.
- Hadis M, Wang J, Zhang ZJ, Di Maio A, Camilleri J. Interaction of hydraulic calcium silicate and glass ionomer cements with dentine. Materialia. 2020;9:100515.
- Li X, Pongprueksa P, Van Landuyt K, Chen Z, Pedano M, Van Meerbeek B, et al. Correlative micro-Raman/EPMA analysis of the hydraulic calcium silicate cement interface with dentin. Clin Oral Investig. 2016;20:1663–73.
Yavuz Y, Kotanli S, Doğan MS, Doğan K. Comparisons of Microleakage and Scanning Electron Microscope SEM Analyzes of The Use of Different Pulp Coverage Materials. Makara J Health Res. 2022;26.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.