Supa Pengpid : https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7714-8869
Karl Peltzr : https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5980-0876
Background: This study aimed to determine the prevalence and associated factors of dizziness in older community-dwelling adults in India.
Methods: The cross-sectional sample was composed of 21,343 individuals (≥65 years) from the Longitudinal Aging Study in India (LASI) Wave 1 in 2017–2018. Dizziness was assessed by determining if the individuals suffered from “persistent or troublesome dizziness or light headedness” in the past 2 years.
Results: Women and men had the overall prevalence of 14.6%/17.2% and 11.6% in past 2-year dizziness, respectively. Adjusted logistic regression analysis revealed that sociodemographic factors (female sex), physical chronic conditions (angina), geriatric conditions (incontinence and impaired vision), stress and mental health (poor or fail self-rated health, perceived discrimination, neurological or psychiatric problems, insomnia symptoms, persistent headaches, and severe fatigue or exhaustion) and health risk behavior (tobacco use) were positively associated with dizziness.
Conclusions: One in seven older adults in India had past 2-year dizziness. The factors associated with dizziness included female sex, angina, incontinence, impaired vision, poor or fair self-rated health, perceived discrimination, neurological or psychiatric problems, insomnia symptoms, persistent headaches, severe fatigue or exhaustion, and tobacco use.
- Brain and Spine Foundation. Dizziness and balance problems. London: Brain and Spine Foundation, 2015.
- Murdin L, Schilder AG. Epidemiology of balance symptoms and disorders in the community: A systematic review. Otol Neurotol. 2015;36:387–92.
- Gomez F, Curcio CL, Duque G. Dizziness as a geriatric condition among rural community-dwelling older adults. J Nutr Health Aging. 2011;15:490–7.
- Lasisi AO, Gureje O. Prevalence and correlates of dizziness in the Ibadan study of ageing. Ear Nose Throat J. 2014;93:E37–44.
- de Moraes SA, Soares WJ, Ferriolli E, Perracini MR. Prevalence and correlates of dizziness in community-dwelling older people: A cross sectional population based study. BMC Geriatr. 2013;13:4.
- Saxena A, Prabhakar MC. Performance of DHI score as a predictor of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo in geriatric patients with dizziness/vertigo: A cross-sectional study. PLoS One. 2013;8:e58106.
- Bronstein AM, Golding JF, Gresty MA, Mandalà M, Nuti D, Shetye A, et al. The social impact of dizziness in London and Siena. J Neurol. 2010;257:183–90.
- Tinetti ME, Williams CS, Gill TM. Dizziness among older adults: A possible geriatric syndrome. Ann Intern Med. 2000;132:337–44.
- Gassmann KG, Rupprecht R, IZG Study Group. Dizziness in an older community dwelling population: A multifactorial syndrome. J Nutr Health Aging. 2009;13:278–82.
- Neuhauser HK. The epidemiology of dizziness and vertigo. Handb Clin Neurol. 2016;137:67–82.
- Stevens KN, Lang IA, Guralnik JM, Melzer D. Epidemiology of balance and dizziness in a national population: Findings from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. Age Ageing. 2008;37:300–5.
- Martins TF, Mancini PC, de Souza LM, Santos JN. Prevalence of dizziness in the population of Minas Gerais, Brazil, and its association with demographic and socioeconomic characteristics and health status. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;83:29–37.
- Maarsingh OR, Stam H, van de Ven PM, van Schoor NM, Ridd MJ, van der Wouden JC. Predictors of dizziness in older persons: A 10-year prospective cohort study in the community. BMC Geriatr. 2014;14:133.
- de Moraes SA, Soares WJ, Rodrigues RA, Fett WC, Ferriolli E, Perracini MR. Dizziness in community-dwelling older adults: A population-based study. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2011;77:691–9.
- Borsetto D, Corazzi V, Obholzer R, Bianchini C, Pelucchi S, Solmi M, et al. Dizziness, psychological disorders, and cognitive decline. Panminerva Med. Epub 2021 May 14.
- Chang J, Hwang SY, Park SK, Kim JH, Kim HJ, Chae SW, et al. Prevalence of dizziness and associated factors in South Korea: A cross-sectional survey from 2010 to 2012. J Epidemiol. 2018;28:176–84.
- Andersson G, Yardley L. Time-series analysis of the relationship between dizziness and stress. Scand J Psychol. 2000;41:49–54.
- Kollén L, Hörder H, Möller C, Frändin K. Physical functioning in older persons with dizziness: A population-based study. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2017;29:197–205.
- Teggi R, Manfrin M, Balzanelli C, Gatti O, Mura F, Quaglieri S, et al. Point prevalence of vertigo and dizziness in a sample of 2672 subjects and correlation with headaches. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2016;36:215–9.
- Kammerlind AS, Ernsth Bravell M, Fransson EI. Prevalence of and factors related to mild and substantial dizziness in community-dwelling older adults: A cross-sectional study. BMC Geriatr. 2016;16:159.
- Penger M, Strobl R, Grill E. Country-specific and individual determinants of dizziness in Europe: results from the Survey of Health Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE). Pub Health. 2017;149:1–10.
- Teixeira AR, Wender MH, Gonçalves AK, Freitas Cde L, Santos AM, Soldera CL. Dizziness, physical exercise, falls, and depression in adults and the elderly. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2016;20:124–31.
- International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS), National Programme for Health Care of Elderly (NPHCE), MoHFW, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health (HSPH) and the University of Southern California (USC). Longitudinal Ageing Study in India (LASI) Wave 1, 2017-18, India Report. Mumbai: International Institute for Population Sciences, 2020.
- Rose GA. The diagnosis of ischaemic heart pain and intermittent claudication in field surveys. Bull World Health Organ. 1962;27:645–58.
- Achterberg S, Soedamah-Muthu SS, Cramer MJ, Kappelle LJ, van der Graaf Y, Algra A, et al. Prognostic value of the Rose questionnaire: A validation with future coronary events in the SMART study. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2012;19:5–14.
- Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, Cushman WC, Green LA, Izzo JL Jr, et al. The seventh report of the Joint National Committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure: the JNC 7 report. JAMA. 2003;289:2560–72.
- Lee J, Smith JP. Regional disparities in adult height, educational attainment and gender difference in late- life cognition: Findings from the Longitudinal Aging Study in India (LASI). J Econ Ageing. 2014;4:26–34.
- Sternthal MJ, Slopen N, Williams DR. Racial disparities in health: How much does stress really matter? Du Bois Rev. 2011;8:95–113.
- Kessler RC, Andrews A, Mroczek D, Ustun B, Wittchen HU. The World Health Organization Composite International Diagnostic Interview Short-Form (CIDI-SF). Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 1998;7:171–85.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-5). 5th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2013.
- Steffick D. Documentation of affective functioning measures in the health and retirement study. Michigan: Survey Research Center University of Michigan, 2000.
- Muhammad T, Meher T. Association of late-life depression with cognitive impairment: Evidence from a cross-sectional study among older adults in India. BMC Geriatr. 2021;21:364.
- Jenkins CD, Stanton BA, Niemcryk SJ, Rose RM. A scale for the estimation of sleep problems in clinical research. J Clin Epidemiol. 1988;41:313–21.
- Cho E, Chen TY. The bidirectional relationships between effort-reward imbalance and sleep problems among older workers. Sleep Health. 2020;6:299–305.
- Fabbri M, Beracci A, Martoni M, Meneo D, Tonetti L, Natale V. Measuring subjective sleep quality: A review. Int J Environ Res Pub Health. 2021;18:1082.
- Andresen EM, Malmgren JA, Carter WB, Patrick DL. Screening for depression in well older adults: evaluation of a short form of the CES-D (Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale). Am J Prev Med. 1994;10:77–84.
- World Health Organization. WHO guidelines on physical activity and sedentary behaviour. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2020.
- Huffman MD, Capewell S, Ning H, Shay CM, Ford ES, Lloyd-Jones DM. Cardiovascular health behavior and health factor changes (1988-2008) and projections to 2020: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. Circulation. 2012;125:2595–602.
- Kim SK, Kim JH, Jeon SS, Hong SM. Relationship between sleep quality and dizziness. PLoS One. 2018;13:e0192705.
- Schmid G, Henningsen P, Dieterich M, Sattel H, Lahmann C. Psychotherapy in dizziness: A systematic review. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2011;82:601–6.
- Sloane PD, Hartman M, Mitchell CM. Psychological factors associated with chronic dizziness in patients aged 60 and older. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1994;42:847–52.
- Goto F, Arai M, Arai M. The influence of headaches in patients with chronic dizziness. Acta Otolaryngol. 2015;135:1264–7.
- Regauer V, Seckler E, Müller M, Bauer P. Physical therapy interventions for older people with vertigo, dizziness and balance disorders addressing mobility and participation: A systematic review. BMC Geriatr. 2020;20:494.
- Formeister EJ, Sharon JD. The association between smoking and dizziness in U.S. adults: A population-based survey study. Hear Balance Commun. 2021;19:1:36–41.
- Ehringer MA, McQueen MB, Hoft NR, Saccone NL, Stitzel JA, Wang JC, et al. Association of CHRN genes with "dizziness" to tobacco. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2010;153B:600–9.
Pengpid S, Peltzer K. Prevalence and Associated Factors of Dizziness Among a National Community-Dwelling Sample of Older Adults in India in 2017–2018. Makara J Health Res. 2021;25.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.