Background: Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a destructive chronic inflammatory disease with intra- and extra-articular manifestations. It is associated with accelerated formation of arteriosclerosis. The aim of this study was to ascertain the correlation between endothelial dysfunction using carotid intima–media thickness (cIMT) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) levels among the three main ethnic groups in Malaysia: Malay, Chinese, and Indian. Methods: This cross-sectional study included 23 females with RA belonging to three different ethnic groups who were free from cardiovascular risk factors. Blood sample was taken from each patient to measure serum TNF-α level, C-reactive protein (CRP), and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). Carotid ultrasonography was performed for cIMT analysis. The Disease Activity Score (DAS)-28 scoring system was used to assess disease activity. Results: Patients’ median age and disease duration were 47 and 5 years, respectively. No thickened cIMT was found in any of the patients. The duration of disease, TNF-α level, cIMT, DAS-28 CRP, and DAS-28 ESR showed no significant correlations in the different ethnic groups (p > 0.05). Conclusion: This study indicates that cIMT and serum TNF-α levels among females with RA in Malaysia may not be affected by ethnicity.
- Rudan I, Sidhu S, Papana A, Meng SJ, Xin-Wei Y, Wang W, et al. Prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis in low- and middle-income countries: A systematic review and analysis. J Glob Health. 2015;5:010409.
- Mohamed-Said MS, Shahdan M, Shahid M, Sulaiman W, Mokhtar AM, Othman M, et al. Multicentre survey of rheumatoid arthritis patients from Ministry of Health Rheumatology Centers in Malaysia. Int J Rheum Dis. 2008;11:287–92.
- Brennan FM, Mclnnes IB. Evidence that cytokine play a role in rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Invest. 2008; 118:3537 45.
- McInnes IB, Buckley CD, Isaacs JD. Cytokines in rheumatoid arthritis-shaping the immunological landscape. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2016;12:63–8.
- Zhang H, Park Y, Wu J, Chen X, Lee S, Yang J, et al. Role of TNF-α in vascular dysfunction. Clin Sci (Lond). 2009;116:219–30.
- Mahmoudi M, Aslani S, Fadaei R, Jamshidi AR.New insights to the mechanisms underlying atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis. Int J Rheum Dis. 2017;20:287–97.
- Wang P, Guan SY, Xu SZ, Li HM, Leng RX, Li XP,et al.Increased carotid intima-media thickness in rheumatoid arthritis: An update meta-analysis. Clin Rheumatol. 2016;35:315 23.
- Mohan A, Sada S, Kumar BS, Sarma KV, Devi BV, Rao PV, et al. Subclinical atherosclerosis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis by utilizing carotid intima-media thickness as a surrogate marker. Indian J Med Res. 2014; 140:379–86.
- Shaharir S, Sulaiman Sahari N, Abdul Wahab A, Mohamed Said MS, Ismail MR. Carotid Intima Media Thickness and Interleukin -17 Level in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients. Ann Rheum Dis. 2016;75:1000.
- Ismail IS, Wan Bebakar WM, Kamaruddin NA, Abdullah NH, Md Zain F, Noor MI, et al. Ministry of Health Malaysia Clinical Practice Guidelines on Management of Obesity. Malaysia: Ministry of Health, 2004 [cited 2019 Feb 21]. Avaılable from: http://www.moh.gov.my /moh/resources/Penerbitan/CPG/Endocrine/5a.pdf
- Aletaha D, Neogi T, Silman AJ, Funovits J, Felson DT, Bingham lll CO, et al. 2010 Rheumatoid arthritis classification criteria: an American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism collaborative initiative. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:1580–8.
- American college of Rheumatology: Disease Activity and Functional Status Assessments [Internet]. Atlanta, GA: American college of Rheumatology [cited 2019 Feb 21]. Available from: http://www. rheumatology.org/practice/ clinical/quality/DAS28.asp.
- Stein JH, Korcarz CE, Hurst RT, Lonn E, Kendall CB, Mohler ER, et al. Use of carotid ultrasound to identify subclinical vascular disease and evaluate cardiovascular disease risk: A consensus statement from the American Society of Echocardiography carotid ıntima-media thickness task force. Endorsed by the Society for Vascular Medicine. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2008;21:93–111.
- Klimek E, Skalska A, Kwaśny-Krochin B, Surdacki A, Sulicka, Korkosz M, et al. Differential associations of inflammatory and endothelial biomarkers with disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis of short duration. Mediators Inflamm. 2014;2014:1–11.
- Ristić GG, Lepić T, Glišić B, Stanisavljević D, Vojvodić D, Petronijević M, et al. Rheumatoid arthritis is an independent risk factor for increased carotid intima-media thickness: İmpact of anti-inflammatory treatment. Rheumatology. 2010;49:1076–81.
- Chung CP, Giles JT, Kronmal RA, Post WS, Gelber AC, Petri M, et al. Progression of coronary artery atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis: comparison with participants from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2013;15:R134.
- Ursini F, Leporini C, Bene F, D'Angelo S, Mauro D, Russo E, et al. Anti-TNF-alpha agents and endothelial function in rheumatoid arthritis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sci Rep. 2017;7:5346.
- Barton JL, Trupin L, Schillinger D, Gansky SA, Tonner C, Margaretten M, et al. Racial and ethnic disparities in disease activity and function among persons with Rheumatoid Arthritis from University-Affiliated Clinics. Arthritis Care Res. 2011;63:1238–46.
- Bruce B, Fries JF, Murtagh KN. Health status disparities in ethnic minority patients with rheumatoid arthritis: A cross-sectional study. J Rheumatol. 2007;34:1475–9.
- Wei ST, SunYH, Zong SH, Xiang YB. Serum levels of IL-6 and TNF-α may correlate with activity and severity of rheumatoid arthritis. Med Sci Monit. 2015;21:4030–8.
- Giles JT, Szklo M, Post W, Petri M, Blumenthal RS, Lam G. Coronary artery calcification in rheumatoid arthritis: Comparison with the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11:R36.
Yi KX, Wahab AA, Abas MM, Wahid SK, Othman FH, Said MM, et al. Correlation between carotid intima-media thickness and serum TNF-alpha levels in female with rheumatoid arthritis of different ethnicities: A single-centre experience in Malaysia. Makara J Health Res. 2019;23.