SM570TMC is high-strength steel (HSS), which is commonly used in structures that require higher-strength components. In this research, submerged arc welding (SAW)-welded SM570 TMC steels' microstructure and mechanical characteristics were examined. SM570 plates with 12mm thickness were multi-pass welded by using a 3.0 mm diameter of ESAB OK Autrod 13.40 (AWS A5.23: EG) filler metal. The joint design is a single V multi-pass butt weld with a backing strip. Two welded joints were prepared by using heat inputs of 2.2 and 2.9 kJ/mm. The microstructures of two welded joints were observed by using optical microscopy and scanning electron microscope (SEM). Hardness tests were performed in the weld metal, heat-affected zone, and base metal. The mechanical properties of welded joints were assessed using the tensile test and Charpy V notch impact test in HAZ and weld metal areas. The result showed that the strength of joints is satisfactory with no fracture in weld metal while the impact energy of weld metal and HAZ is acceptable for lower temperature application.
- AWS, 2020. AWS D1.1 Structural welding code-Steel. Miami: American Welding Society
- Igi, S & Miyake, M, 2021, ‘Development of Thermo-Mechanical Control Process (TMCP) and High Performance Steels in JFE Steel’, JFE Tech. Rep, vol. 26, pp. 86-94.
- Bhole, SD, Nemade, JB, Collins, L & Liu, C, 2006, ‘Effect of nickel and molybdenum additions on weld metal toughness in a submerged arc welded HSLA line-pipe steel’, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 92-100, DOI: 10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2005.10.028
- Donizete Borba, TM, Duarte Flores, W, de Oliveira Turani, L & Cardoso Junior, R 2017, ‘Assessment of the weldability of EH36 TMCP shipbuilding steel welded by high heat input submerged arc welding’, Welding International, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 184-195, DOI: 10.1080/09507116.2016.1218619
- El-Shenawy, E & Reda, R 2019, ‘Optimization of TMCP strategy for microstructure refinement and flow-productivity characteristics enhancement of low carbon steel’, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 2819-2831, DOI: 10.1016/j.jmrt.2019.04.021
- Fatriansyah, J F, Dhaneswara, D, Abdurrahman, M H, Kuskendrianto, F R & Yusuf, M B, 2019. Molecular Dynamics Simulation of Hydrogen Adsorption on Silica. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 478(1), pp. 012034. DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/478/1/012034
- Fatriansyah, JF, Rizqillah, RK, Suhariadi, I, Federico, A & Kurniawan, A, 2023, ‘Composition-based aluminum alloy selection using an artificial neural network’, Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 31, no. 5, no. 055011. DOI: 10.1088/1361-651X/acda4e
- Hu, J, Du, LX, Xie, H, Gao, XH & Misra, RDK 2014, ‘Microstructure and mechanical properties of TMCP heavy plate microalloyed steel’, Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol. 607, pp. 122-131, DOI: 10.1016/j.msea.2014.03.133
- JIS, 1999. G3106 Rolled steel for welded structure. Tokyo: Japanese Standard Association.
- Kah, P, Layus, P & Ndiwe, B, 2022, ‘Submerged arc welding process peculiarities in application for Arctic structures’, AIMS Materials Science, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 498-511, DOI: 10.3934/matersci.2022029
- Lee, CH, Shin, HS & Park, KT 2012, ‘Evaluation of high strength TMCP steel weld for use in cold regions’, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, vol. 74, pp. 134-139, DOI: 10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.02.012
- Nugraha, Y & Mochtar, MA, 2023, ’Effect of Austenization and Repeated Quenching on The Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of Wear-Resistant Steel’, Journal of Materials Exploration and Findings (JMEF), vol. 1: no. 3, DOI: 10.7454/jmef.v1i3.1018
- Oktadinata, H, Winarto, W & Siradj, ES 2020, ‘Microstructure and impact toughness of flux-cored arc welded SM570-TMC steel at low and high heat input’, In Materials Science Forum, vol. 991, pp. 3-9, Trans Tech Publications Ltd, DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.991.3
- Pamnani, R, Jayakumar, T, Vasudevan, M & Sakthivel, T, 2016, ’Investigations on the impact toughness of HSLA steel arc welded joints’, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, vol. 21, pp. 75-86, DOI: 10.1016/j.jmapro.2015.11.007
- Roccisano, A, Nafisi, S, Stalheim, D & Ghomashchi, R 2021, ‘Effect of TMCP rolling schedules on the microstructure and performance of X70 steel’, Materials Characterization, vol. 178, no. 111207, DOI: 10.1016/j.matchar.2021.111207
- Tong, L, Niu, L, Jing, S, Ai, L & Zhao, XL 2018, ‘Low temperature impact toughness of high strength structural steel’, Thin-Walled Structures, vol.132, pp. 410-420, DOI: 10.1016/j.tws.2018.09.009
- Wang, ZQ, Wang, XL, Nan, YR, Shang, CJ, Wang, XM, Liu, K & Chen, B 2018, ‘Effect of Ni content on the microstructure and mechanical properties of weld metal with both-side submerged arc welding technique’, Materials Characterization, vol. 138, pp. 67-77, DOI: 10.1016/j.matchar.2018.01.039
- Winarto, W, Oktadinata, H, Priadi, D, Baskoro, A & Ito, K, 2020, ‘Microstructure and impact toughness relationship for different nickel level of electrode in multi-pass FCA welded SM570-TMC steel joint’, Quarterly Journal of the Japan Welding Society, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 154s-158s
- Yang, Y, Jia, X, Ma, Y, Wang, P, Zhu, F, Yang, H, Wang, C & Wang, S 2022, ‘Effect of Nb on microstructure and mechanical properties between base metal and high heat input coarse-grain HAZ in a Ti-deoxidized low carbon high strength steel’, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, vol. 18, pp. 2399-2412, DOI: 10.1016/j.jmrt.2022.03.150
- Zhu, WT, Cui, JJ, Chen, ZY, Zhao, Y & Chen, LQ 2022, ‘Correlation of microstructure feature with impact fracture behavior in a TMCP processed high strength low alloy construction steel’, Acta Metallurgica Sinica (English Letters), vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 527-536, DOI: 10.1007/s40195-021-01250-0
Yuhandri, Toni; Winarto, Winarto; and Natalia, Diana
"Effect of Heat Input on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Submerged Arc Welded SM570-TMC Steel,"
Journal of Materials Exploration and Findings (JMEF): Vol. 2:
2, Article 4.
Available at: https://scholarhub.ui.ac.id/jmef/vol2/iss2/4