This research discusses social media utilization activities held in the UI Library as a promotional tool. The purpose of this study is to describe social media use by UI Library. The research applies the qualitative approach and case study method. Informants were chosen by using a purposive sampling technique. Results show that UI Library has utilized social media in the form of Twitter and Instagram as a means to promote the collections, services, or even the facilities there. The library also used social media to collect users’ responses, either recommendations or complaints, which were taken as evaluation materials for service improvement. This study suggests that the library should make written policy or SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) about social media management as a media of promotions and increase the number of interactions with users on Instagram. Findings from this research may also be records in order to arrange an academic library’s social media application guide, particularly in Universitas Indonesia, and on a bigger scale, in Indonesia.
- Garofalo, D. (2013). Building Communities: Social Networking for Academic Libraries. UK: Chandos Publishing Social Media.
- Istiana, P. (2017). Penggunaan media sosial oleh perpustakaan [The use of social media by library]. Libraria, 5(1), p. 69-86. DOI: 10.21043/libraria.v5i1.2252
- King, D. Lee. (2015). Library Technology Reports: Managing your library’s social media Channels (Vol. 51, No. 1). Chicago: ALA TechSource.
- Lou Lili, Wang Yuan, & Han Lifeng. (2013). Marketing via social media: a case study. Library Hi Tech, 31, p. 455-466.
- Nduka, S. (2015). Use of Social Media in Marketing Library and Information Services in Nigeria Libraries. Social Media Strategies for Dynamic Library Service Development, p. 155-176.
- Ryan, D., & Jones, C. (2009). Understanding Digital Marketing: marketing strategies engaging the digital generation. London: Kogan Page Limited.
- Siswanti, A. (2015). Pemanfaatan Layanan Perpanjangan Masa Peminjaman Koleksi Melalui Media Sosial Facebook di Perpustakaan Fakultas Ilmu Sosial dan Ilmu Politik Universitas Gadjah Mada Yogyakarta [The extention of loan periods through Facebook at the Library of Political and Social Sciences Faculty, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta]. Berkala, 11(2), p. 1-7.
- Xie, I., & Stevenson, J. (2014). Social Media Application in Digital Libraries. Online Information Review, 38(4), p. 502-523.
Putri, Dinda Ayunindia
"Social Media Utilization in Universitas Indonesia Library,"
Jurnal Ilmu Informasi, Perpustakaan dan Kearsipan: Vol. 21:
1, Article 1.
Available at: https://scholarhub.ui.ac.id/jipk/vol21/iss1/1