Clinical and Radiographic Features of Nevoid Basal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome: A Case Report
Nevoid Basal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome, also called as Gorlin Gotz syndrome is an autosomal dominant disorder characterized by the presence of multiple odontogenic keratocysts (OKCs) of the jaw, basal cell carcinomas and skeletal anomalies. Presence of multiple OKCs is the first clinical manifestation in majority of the cases. Early diagnosis and treatment are of utmost importance in reducing the severity of this syndrome. We hereby report a rare case of Gorlin Goltz syndrome in a 28 years old female patient who presented with multiple cystic lesions in the jaws. Present case also highlights the clinical, radiographic and histopathologic features of this uncommon syndrome.
1. Gorlin RJ. Nevoid basal cell carcinoma (Gorlin) syndrome. Genet Med. 2004; 6(6):530-9.
2. Bree AF, Shah MR; BCNS Colloquium Group. Consensus statement from the first international colloquium on basal cell nevus syndrome (BCNS). Am J Med Genet A. 2011; 155A(9):2091-7.
3. Kimonis VE, Singh KE, Zhong R, Pastakia B, Digiovanna JJ, Bale SJ. Clinical and radiological features in young individuals with nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome. Genet Med. 2013;1 5(1):79-83.
4. Kiwilsza M, Sporniak-Tutak K. Gorlin-Goltz syndrome--A medical condition requiring a multidisciplinary approach. Med Sci Monit. 2012; 18(9):RA145-53.
5. Pan S, Dong Q, Sun LS, Li TJ. Mechanisms of inactivation of PTCH1 gene in nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome: Modification of the two-hit hypothesis. Clin Cancer Res. 2010; 16(2):442-50.
6. Hegde S, Shetty SR. Radiological features of familial Gorlin-Goltz syndrome. Imaging Sci Dent. 2012; 42(1):55-60.
7. Fujii K, Miyashita T. Gorlin syndrome (nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome): Update and literature review. Pediatr Int. 2014; 56(5):667-74.
8. Manfredi M, Vescovi P, Bonanini M, Porter S. Nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome: A review of the literature. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 33(2):117-24.
9. Ramesh M, Krishnan R, Chalakkal P, Paul G. Gorlin-Goltz Syndrome: Case report and literature review. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2015; 19(2):267.
10. Veenstra-Knol HE, Scheewe JH, van der Vlist GJ, van Doorn ME, Ausems MG. Early recognition of basal cell naevus syndrome. Eur J Pediatr. 2005; 164(3):126-30.
Babu, G., Pillai, D. S., Hegde, S., Hegde, P., & Ajila, V. Clinical and Radiographic Features of Nevoid Basal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome: A Case Report. J Dent Indones. 2022;29(3): 224-227
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Other Dentistry Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons