Effect of Different Surface Treatments and Application Times on Shear Bond Strength Between Polyetheretherketone and Composite Resin
Objective: To investigate the effect of various surface treatments and different application times on shear bond strength between polyetheretherketone and composite resin. Methods: A total of 110 disc-shaped polyetheretherketone specimens were randomly divided into 9 groups and 4 different surface treatments (control, sandblasting, tribochemical silica coating, sulfuric acid) were applied. The sandblasting, tribochemical silica coating, and sulfuric acid processes were performed 3 different times (10s, 15s, 20s). Then, the composite resins were applied to the treated surfaces of the polyetheretherketone specimens. The shear bond strength test and scanning electron microscopy analysis were performed. The data were statistically analyzed using analysis of variance and Duncan honest significant difference test. Results: One-way analysis of variance revealed differences in shear bond strength among the groups (p <0.001). While the control group showed the lowest bond strength values (4.24 ± 1.53 MPa), 20 s of sulfuric acid process showed the highest bond strength values (27.91 ± 4.44 MPa). Conclusion: Depending on the application time to the material, additional surface treatments increase the polyetheretherketone composite bonding. Surface treatments with sulfuric acid applications provide higher surface bonding values than other treatments.
1. Bötel F, Zimmermann T, Sütel M, Müller WD, Schwitalla AD. Inf luence of different lowpressure plasma process parameters on shear bond strength between veneering composites and PEEK materials. Dent Mater. 2018; 34(9):e246-54.
2. Stawarczyk B, Jordan P, Schmidlin PR, Roos M, Eichberger M, Gernet W, Keul C. PEEK surface treatment effects on tensile bond strength to veneering resins. J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112(5):1278-88.
3. Zhou L, Qian Y, Zhu Y, Liu H, Gan K, Guo J. The effect of different surface treatments on the bond strength of PEEK composite materials. Dent Mater. 2014;30(8):e209-e15.
4. Moon SM, Ingalhalikar A, Highsmith JM, Vaccaro AR. Biomechanical rigidity of an allpolyetheretherketone anterior thoracolumbar spinal reconstruction construct: An in vitro corpectomy model. Spine J. 2009; 9(4):330-5.
5. Costa-Palau S, Torrents-Nicolas J, Brufaude Barberà M, Cabratosa-Termes J. Use of polyetheretherketone in the fabrication of a maxillary obturator prosthesis: A clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112(3):680-2.
6. Stawarczyk B, Thrun H, Eichberger M, Roos M, Edelhoff D, Schweiger J, Schmidlin PR. Effect of different surface pretreatments and adhesives on the load-bearing capacity of veneered 3-unit PEEK FDPs. J Prosthet Dent. 2015; 114(5):666-73.
7. Andreiotelli M, Wenz HJ, Kohal RJ. Are ceramic implants a viable alternative to titanium implants? A systematic literature review. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2009;20 Suppl 4:32-47.
8. Sproesser O, Schmidlin PR, Uhrenbacher J, Roos M, Gernet W, Stawarczyk B. Effect of sulfuric acid etching of polyetheretherketone on the shear bond strength to resin cements. J Adhes Dent. 2014; 16(5):465-72.
9. Arnold C, Hey J, Schweyen R, Setz JM. Accuracy of CAD-CAM-fabricated removable partial dentures. J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 119(4):586-92.
10. Stawarczyk B, Beuer F, Wimmer T, Jahn D, Sener B, Roos M, Schmidlin PR. Polyetheretherketone-A suitable material for fixed dental prostheses? J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2013; 101(7):1209-16.
11. Stawarczyk B, Bähr N, Beuer F, Wimmer T, Eichberger M, Gernet W, Jahn D, Schmidlin PR. Influence of plasma pretreatment on shear bond strength of self-adhesive resin cements to polyetheretherketone. Clin Oral Investig. 2014; 18(1):163-70.
12. Kruse A, Krüger G, Baalmann A, Hennemann O-D. Surface pretreatment of plastics for adhesive bonding. J Adhes Sci Technol. 1995; 9(12):1611-21.
13. Najeeb S, Khurshid Z, Matinlinna JP, Siddiqui F, Nassani MZ, Baroudi K. Nanomodified peek dental implants: Bioactive composites and surface modification-A review. Int J Dent. 2015; 2015:381759.
14. Kern M, Lehmann F. Inf luence of surface conditioning on bonding to polyetheretherketon (PEEK). Dent Mater. 2012; 28(12):1280-3.
15. Keul C, Liebermann A, Schmidlin PR, Roos M, Sener B, Stawarczyk B. Influence of PEEK surface modification on surface properties and bond strength to veneering resin composites. J Adhes Dent. 2014; 16(4):383-92.
16. Uhrenbacher J, Schmidlin PR, Keul C, Eichberger M, Roos M, Gernet W, Stawarczyk B. The effect of surface modification on the retention strength of polyetheretherketone crowns adhesively bonded to dentin abutments. J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112(6):1489-97.
17. Schmidlin PR, Stawarczyk B, Wieland M, Attin T, Hämmerle CH, Fischer J. Effect of different surface pre-treatments and luting materials on shear bond strength to PEEK. Dent Mater. 2010; 26(6):553-9.
18. Staniland PA, Wilde CJ, Bottino FA, Di Pasquale G, Pollicino A, Recca A. Synthesis, characterization and study of the thermal properties of new polyarylene ethers. Polymer. 1992; 33(9):1976-81.
19. Rosentritt M, Preis V, Behr M, Sereno N, Kolbeck C. Shear bond strength between veneering composite and PEEK after different surface modifications. Clin Oral Investig. 2015; 19(3):739- 44.
20. Jahandideh Y, Falahchai M, Pourkhalili H. Effect of surface treatment with Er:YAG and CO2 lasers on shear bond strength of polyether ether ketone to composite resin veneers. J Lasers Med Sci. 2020; 11(2):153-9.
21. Ates SM, Caglar I, Duymus ZY. The effect of different surface pretreatments on the bond strength of veneering resin to polyetheretherketone. J Adhes Sci Technol. 2018; 32(20):2220-31.
22. Hallmann L, Mehl A, Sereno N, Hammerle CHF. The improvement of adhesive properties of PEEK through different pre-treatments. Appl Surf Sci. 2012; 258(18):7213-8.
23. Kern ME, Watson DF. Influence of solvation and the persistence of adsorbed linkers on the attachment of CdSe quantum dots to TiO2 via linker-assisted assembly. Langmuir. 2012; 28(44):15598-605.
24. Çulhaoğlu AK, Özkır SE, Şahin V, Yılmaz B, Kılıçarslan MA. Effect of various treatment modalities on surface characteristics and shear bond strengths of polyetheretherketone-based core materials. J Prosthodont. 2020; 29(2):136-41.
25. Chaijareenont P, Prakhamsai S, Silthampitag P, Takahashi H, Arksornnukit M. Effects of different sulfuric acid etching concentrations on PEEK surface bonding to resin composite. Dent Mater J. 2018; 37(3):385-92.
Ozdogan, A., & Topdagi, B. Effect of Different Surface Treatments and Application Times on Shear Bond Strength Between Polyetheretherketone and Composite Resin. J Dent Indones. 2022;29(3): 187-193