Objectives: This study evaluated the perceived positive and negative general and oral health outcomes of patients after using mandibular distal extension partial removable dental prostheses (PRDPs) and assessed the effect of recall procedures on the treatment outcomes. Methods: A questionnaire comprising 20 items, pertaining to perceived positive and negative outcomes related to the patients’ perception scores after using mandibular distal extension PRDPs, was designed. The patients were recalled 1 week and 3 months after the insertion of the mandibular distal extension PRDPs. The perception scores were obtained, and the mean values calculated at 1 week and 3 months were compared using the paired t-test. Results: A significant difference in the mean scores was observed for the perceived positive outcomes (p = 0.018) but not for the perceived negative outcomes at 1 week and 3 months. Most patients agreed or strongly agreed with the statements concerning the perceived positive outcomes and disagreed or strongly disagreed with those concerning the perceived negative outcomes after 3 months. Conclusion: Most patients were satisfied with their mandibular distal extension PRDPs in terms of the perceived positive outcomes and disagreed with the statements concerning the perceived negative outcomes. The questionnaire was deemed appropriate for measuring the patients’ perceptions about the possible outcomes of using mandibular distal extension PRDPs.
- Shala KS, Dula LJ, Pustina-Krasniqi T, Bicaj T, Ahmedi EF, Lila-Krasniqi Z, Tmava-Dragusha A. Patient’s satisfaction with removable partial dentures: A retrospective case series. Open Dent J. 2016; 10:656-63.
- Gonçalves TM, Campos CH, Garcia RC. Implant retention and support for distal extension partial removable dental prostheses: Satisfaction outcomes. J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112(2):334-9.
- Campbell SD, Cooper L, Craddock H, Hyde TP, Nattress B, Pavitt SH, Seymour DW. Removable partial dentures: The clinical need for innovation. J Prosthet Dent. 2017; 118(3):273-80.
- Xie Q, Ding T, Yang G. Rehabilitation of oral function with removable dentures-still an option? J Oral Rehabil. 2015; 42(3):234-42.
- Wright CR. Evaluation of the factors necessary to develop stability in mandibular dentures. J Prosthet Dent. 2004; 92(6):509-18.
- de Siqueira GP, dos Santos MB, dos Santos JF, Marchini L. Patients’ expectation and satisfaction with removable dental prosthesis therapy and correlation with patients’ evaluation of the dentists. Acta Odontol Scand. 2013; 71(1):210-4.
- Lalla RV, Patton LL, Dongari-Bagtzoglou A. Oral candidiasis: Pathogenesis, clinical presentation, diagnosis and treatment strategies. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2013; 41(4):263-8.
- Gusmão JMR, Pereira RP. Treatment protocol for denture stomatitis, prior to anatomical molding. Gerodontology 2013; 30(3):232-5.
- Akeel RF. Effect of the quality of removable prostheses on patient satisfaction. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2009; 10(6):E057-64.
- Akeel R. Usage of removable partial dentures in Saudi male patients after 1 year telephone interview. Saudi Dent J. 2010; 22(3):125-8.
- Aljabri MK, Ibrahim TO, Sharka RM. Removable partial dentures: Patient satisfaction and complaints in Makkah City, KSA. J Taibah Univ Med Sci. 2017; 12(6):561-4.
- Almohsen OA, Mahmoud MR. Patients satisfaction with removable partial dentures in Qassim region, Saudi Arabia. Int J Med Dev Countries. 2021; 5(4):1066-71.
- Principles, concepts, and practices in prosthodontics −1994. J Prosthet Dent. 1995; 73(1):73-94.
- Al-Omiri MK, Sghaireen MG, Al-Qudah AA, Hammad OA, Lynch CD, Lynch E. Relationship between impacts of removable prosthodontic rehabilitation on daily living, satisfaction and personality profiles. J Dent. 2014; 42(3):366-72.
- Krausch-Hofmann S, Cuypers L, Ivanova A, Duyck J. Predictors of patient satisfaction with removable denture renewal: A pilot study. J Prosthodont. 2018; 27(6):509-16.
- Leles CR, Morandini WJ, da Silva ET, de F Nunes M, Freire MC. Assessing perceived potential outcomes of prosthodontic treatment in partial and fully edentulous patients. J Oral Rehabil. 2008; 35(9):682-9.
- Shammas M, Muhcu NK, Alzahrani EA, Alsaadi RA, Alshaqha EM, Balkhyoor JA, Abdurahiman VT, Gajdhar S. Screening and Allotting Completely Edentulous Patients using Prosthodontic Diagnostic Index in a Dental School, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. J Clin Diagn. 2021; 15(5):ZC15-20.
- Kavita K, Iqubal MA, Singh R, Singh S, Nazeer J, Singh R. Factors affecting patient satisfaction among patients undergone removable prosthodontic rehabilitation. J Family Med Prim Care. 2020; 9(7):3544-8.
- Dula LJ, Shala KSh, Pustina-Krasniqi T, Bicaj T, Ahmedi EF. The influence of removable partial dentures on the periodontal health of abutment and non-abutment teeth. Eur J Dent. 2015; 9(3):382-6.
- Basutkar N, Wali O, Babsail M, Shammas M, Gajdhar S. Pattern of prevalence of partial edentulism- A retrospective study in a private dental institution in southern part of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Int J Adv Res. 2019; 7(5):43-7.
- Niarchou AP, Ntala PC, Karamanoli EP, Polyzois GL, Frangou MJ. Partial edentulism and removable partial denture design in a dental school population: A survey in Greece. Gerodontology. 2011; 28(3):177-83.
- Bilhan H, Erdogan O, Ergin S, Celik M, Ates G, Geckili O. Complication rates and patient satisfaction with removable dentures. J Adv Prosthodont. 2012; 4(2):109-15.
- Nazeer B, Ahmed N, Faruqui S, Maqsood A, Ansari MAA, Sunal H. Assessment of patient’s satisfaction with removable denture therapy. Int J Curr Res. 2016; 8(09):38012-15.
- Hafeez A, Masood RT, Kamran MF, Chaudhary MAG. The impact of removable partial dentures on abutment teeth. Pak Oral Dent J. 2018; 38 (2):278-82.
- Nassar H, Al-Dabbagh N, Aldabbagh R, Albahiti M, Jadu FM, Qutob A, Mawardi H. Dental follow-up and maintenance index: the development of a novel multidisciplinary protocol. Heliyon. 2020; 6(5):e03954.
Shammas, M., Wali, O., Alamoudi, R., Alharbi, R., Nasser, M., Zahran, L., Shetty, K., & VT, A. Evaluation of Perceived Possible Outcomes in Patients Treated with Mandibular Distal Extension Partial Removable Dental Prostheses. J Dent Indones. 2022;29(1): 36-42