Objectives: This study aimed to compare the surface roughness of three anterior composite resins with different filler size, rate, and shape after brushing for 5000, 10000, and 20000 cycles with a whitening dentifrice. Methods: 44 disk-shaped specimens of each material (5mm diameter, 2mm depth) G-aenial Anterior, Harmonize, Asteria were prepared and divided into four groups according to the brushing cycles (Initial, 5000, 10000, and 20000 cycles). Initial surface roughness values (Ra-values) were assessed using a profilometer and measurements were repeated after each brushing cycle. 4 specimens from each composite resin were observed by scanning electron microscopy before and after brushing. The data were analyzed by Shapiro Wilk., ANOVA, Tukey, Friedman, and Wilcoxon tests (p<0.05). Results: The Ra-values of all groups increased in proportion to the number of brushing cycles (p<.05). The Ra-values of both Asteria and Harmonize were significantly lower than the G-aenial after all brushing cycles (p<0.05). Conclusion: All of the materials demonstrated surface irregularities after 20.000 brushing cycles corresponding to 24 months. The degree of surface alteration increased with brushing time and depends on the composite’s filler rate, size, and shape.
- Widya Nugrohowati C, Hadriyanto W, Nugraheni T. Direct composite resin restoration of anterior maxillary teeth and esthetic smile design: a case report. J Dent Indones. 2020; 27(2):103-8.
- Jin J, Takahashi R, Hickel R and Kunzelmann KH. Surface properties of universal and flowable nanohybrid composites after simulated tooth brushing. Am J Dent. 2014; 27(3):149-54.
- Mcguirk C, Hussain F, Millar BJ. Survival of direct posterior composites with and without a bulk fill base. Eur J Prosthodont. Restor Dent. 2017; 25(3):136-42.
- Sulaiman T. Effects of material selection, light curing, and polishing on the color stability of direct composite resins: A photographic study.state of the art. J Cosmet Dent. 2021;37:52-7.
- Jaramillo-Cartagena R, López-Galeano EJ, Latorre-Correa F, Agudelo-Suárez AA. Effect of polishing systems on the surface roughness of nano-hybrid and nano-filling composite resins: a systematic review. Dent J (Basel). 2021; 9(8):95.
- da Silva EM, Doria J, da Silva JDJR, Santos GV, Guimaraes JGA, Poskus LT. Longitudinal evaluation of simulated toothbrushing on the roughness and optical stability of microfilled, microhybrid and nanofilled resin-based composites. J Dent. 2013; 41(11):1081-90.
- Gonulol N, Yilmaz F. The effects of finishing and polishing techniques on surface roughness and color stability of nanocomposites. J Dent. 2012; 40 Suppl 2:e64-70.
- de Andrade ICGB, Silva BM, Turssi CP, do Amaral FLB, Basting RT, de Souza EM, França FMG. Effect of whitening dentifrices on color, surface roughness and microhardness of dental enamel in vitro. Am J Dent. 2021; 34(6):300-6.
- Yilmaz MN, Gul P, Unal M, Turgut G. Effect of whitening toothpastes on the esthetic properties and surface roughness of a composite resin. J Oral Sci. 2021;63:320-5.
- Wiegand A, Schlueter N. The role of oral hygiene: Does toothbrushing harm? Monogr Oral Sci. 2014;25:215-9.
- Monteiro B, Spohr AM. Surface roughness of composite resins after simulated toothbrushing with different dentifrices. J Int Oral Health. 2015; 7(7):1-5.
- Kyoizumi H, Yamada J, Suzuki T, Kanehira M, Finger WJ, Sasaki K. Effects of toothbrush hardness on in vitro wear and roughness of composite resins. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2013;14(6):1137-44.
- Yönel N, Bikker FJ, Lagerweij MD, et al. Anti-erosive effects of fluoride and phytosphingosine: an in vitro study. Eur J Oral Sci. 2016;124:396-402.
- Soeteman GD, Valkenburg C, Van der Weijden GA, Van Loveren C, Bakker E, Slot DE. Whitening dentifrice and tooth surface discoloration-a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Dent Hyg. 2018;16:24-35.
- S e x s o n J C , P h i l l i p s RW. S t u d i e s o n the effects of abrasives on acrylic resins. J Prosthet Dent. 1951; 1(4):454-71.
- Stout KJ. Surface roughness–Measurement, interpretation and significance of data. Mat Eng. 1981;2:260-5.
- da Costa J, Adams-Belusko A, Riley K, Ferracane JL. The effect of various dentifrices on surface roughness and gloss of resin composites. J Dent. 2010; 38 Suppl 2:e123-8.
- Turssi C, De Magalhaes C, Serra M, Rodrigues A. Surface roughness assessment of resin-based materials during brushing preceded by pH-cycling simulations. Oper Dent. 2001; 26(6):576-84.
- Lu H, Roeder LB, Lei L, Powers JM. Effect of surface roughness on stain resistance of dental resin composites. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2005; 17(2):102-8.
- Ergücü Z, Türkün L. Surface roughness of novel resin composites polished with one-step systems. Oper Dent. 2007; 32(2):185-92.
- Turssi C, Ferracane J, Vogel K. Filler features and their effects on wear and degree of conversion of particulate dental resin composites. Biomaterials. 2005; 26(24):4932-7.
- Draughn RA, Harrison A. Relationship between abrasive wear and microstructure of composite resins. J Prosthet Dent. 1978; 40(2):220-4.
- Cavalcante LM, Masouras K, Watts DC, Pimenta LA, Silikas N. Effect of nanofillers’ size on surface properties after toothbrush abrasion. Am J Dent. 2009; 22(1):60-4.
- Melander J, Dunn WP, Link MP, Wang Y, Xu C, Walker MP. Comparison of flexural properties and surface roughness of nanohybrid and microhybrid dental composites. Gen Dent. 2011; 59(5):342-7.
- Augusto MG, Borges AB, Pucci CR, Mailart MC, Torres C. Effect of whitening toothpastes on wear and roughness of ormocer and methacrylate-based composites. Am J Dent. 2018; 31(6):303-8.
- da Cas NV, Ruat GR, Bueno R, Pachaly R, Pozzobon RT. Effect of whitening toothpaste on superficial roughness of composite resin. Gen Dent. 2013; 61(4):e8-11.
- Dos Santos JH, Silva NL, Gomes MG, paschoal MA, Gomes IA. Whitening toothpastes effect on nanoparticle resin composite roughness after a brushing challenge: An in vitro study. J Clin Exp Dent. 2019; 11(4):e334-9.
- Bollen CM, Lambrechts P, Qui r y nen M. Comparison of surface roughness of oral hard materials to the threshold surface roughness for bacterial plaque retention: a review of the literature. Dent Mater. 1997; 13(4):258-69.
- Jones CS, Billington RW, Pearson GJ. The in vivo perception of roughness of restorations. Br Dent. J. 2004; 196(1):42-5.
Hazar, A., Akgül, S., Koçak, S., & Koçak, M. Effect of Brushing Time with a Whitening Dentifrice on Surface Roughness of Anterior Composite Resins. J Dent Indones. 2022;29(1): 1-7
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Health Economics Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology Commons, Orthodontics and Orthodontology Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons