Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has caused series of lockdown in Malaysia which led to the significant financial impact to dental practitioner in Malaysia. Objectives: The aim of this study is to investigate factors affecting dental practice and its implication to financial situation during the pandemic in Malaysia. Methods: Registered Malaysian dental practitioners were invited to participate in online questionnaire via google form. Descriptive and Pearson’s chi-square test analysis were conducted (p<0.05). Results: 468 of dental practitioners had responded to our survey. More than three-quarter of dental practitioners worked in government sectors while almost a quarter worked in private sectors. 49.2% of respondents opened for emergency cases only during movement control order (MCO), 42.1 % of them limit for dental emergency, appointment-based cases and non-aerosol generated procedure during Conditional MCO and 62.5% operated as usual following a strict standard operating procedure during Recovery MCO. More than three quarter of private dental practitioners indicated that pandemic affected their daily monetary income (p<0.001) while most of them had to spend other source of income (p=0.004). All working sectors dictated that the working volume and number of patients had statistically decrease (p<0.05). Conclusion: COVID-19 pandemic had an impact on the practice of dentistry and financial position especially for private dental practitioners. Major government assistance is important to reduce the burden of dental practitioner and preserving their future practice.
- Md Shah AU, Safri SNA, Thevadas R, Noordin NK, Abd Rahman A, Sekawi Z, et al. COVID-19 outbreak in Malaysia: Actions taken by the Malaysian gover n ment. Int J Infect Dis. 2020;97:108-16.
- Tang KHD. Movement control as an effective measure against Covid-19 spread in Malaysia: an overview. J Public Health. 2020;13:1-4.
- Malaysian Dental Association. MDA Guidance on dental emergency care for dental clinics to help spread of COVID-19 during Movement Control Order 2020. 2020a. Available at https://mda.org. my/home/mda-statement-on-covid-19-during-mco/ (Accessed December 2020).
- Malaysian Dental Association. MDA Advisory on COVID-19 (Updated 10.08.2021). 2020b. Available at https://mda.org.my/home/wpcontent/ uploads/2020/10/MDA_advisory_COVID19_ CMCO_RMCO_21102020.pdf (Accessed August 2021).
- Malaysian Dental Association (2020c): MDA Safety Advisory to Dental Practitioners in the Current Escalating Concern of COVID - 19 Infection 2 020. A vailable f rom: h ttps://mda. org.my/announcement/2020/20200305-COVID 19/MDA_advisory_COVID19_04042020.pdf. [Accessed November 2020].
- Ali S, Farooq I, Abdelsalam M, AlHumaid J: Current clinical dental practice guidelines and the financial impact of COVID-19 on dental care providers. Eur J Dent. 2020; 14(S1): 140-45.
- Dental Tribute USA (2020): Dentists report financial impact of COVID-19 on their practices 2020. 2020. Available at: https://us.dental-tribune. com/news/dentists-report-financial-impact-of-covid-19-on-their-practices/ (Accessed November 2020).
- Adam A. What makes a Covid-19 red zone, yellow zone, green zone? Dr Noor Hisham explains. Malay Mail (Malaysia) 2020 Oct 21. Available at: https://www.malaymail.com/news/ malaysia/2020/10/21/what-makes-a-covid-19-red-zone-yellow-zone-green-zone-dr-noor-hisham-explai/1915011 (Accessed August 2020).
- American Dental Association. COVID-19: Economic Impact on Public Health Dental Programs July 2021. Available at: https:// s u r v e y s . a d a . o r g / r e p o r t s / R C / p u b l i c / YWRhc3VydmV5cy02MGVjNWQxZDM0ZTI5 ZTAwMGZjNzMzYWEtVVJfM3BaeGhzWm12TnNMdjB4 (Accessed August 2021).
- Dentistry Today. Irish Dental Association Warns the Profession Is on the Brink of Collapse 2020. 2020. Available at: https://www.dentistrytoday. com/news/industrynews/item/6156-irish-dental-association-warns-the-profession-is-on-the-brink-of-collapse. (Accessed November 2020).
- Dentistry. Coronavirus – what’s the financial impact on dentistry? 2020. Available at: https:// www.dentistry.co.uk/2020/03/19/coronavirus-financial-impact-dentistry/ (Accessed August 2021).
- Irish Dental Association. Covid-19 business and employment support available. 2020. Available at: https://irishdentalassociation.newsweaver.com/ne wsletter/40uglfzc4qy1cys22xtzj2?a=1&p=566572 47&t=22322575.%20Accessed%20July%207,%20 2020. (Accessed November 2020).
- Medina AF. Malaysia Issues Stimulus Package to Combat COVID-19 Impact 2020. ASEAN Briefing 2020 March 19. Available at: https://www. aseanbriefing.com/news/malaysia-issues-second-stimulus-package-combat-covid-19-salient-features/. (Accessed November 2020).
- Malaysian Dental Association. Message from President MDA 2019/21 April/May 2020 by Dr Leong Kei Joe 2020. 2020d. Available at: https:// mda.org.my/home/message-from-president-mda- 2019-21-april-may-2020-by-dr-leong-kei-joe/ (Accessed December 2020).
- 2,070 Government Doctors, Dentists, Pharmacists Get Another Six-Month Contract. Code Blue 2020 September 28. Available online at: https:// codeblue.galencentre.org/2020/09/28/2070- government-doctors-dentists-pharmacists-get-another-six-month-contract/. (Accessed November 2020).
- Ahmadi H., Ebrahimi A. and Ghorbani F. The impact of COVID-19 pandemic on dental practice: a questionnaire-based report. BMC Oral Health. 2020;20:354.
- Ministry of Health Malaysia. Current Status of COVID-19 in Malaysia. 2021a. Available at: https://covid-19.moh.gov.my/terkini. (Accessed August 2021).
- Department of Statistics Malaysia. Current statistics: Covid-19 by states in Malaysia. 2021. Available at: https://www.dosm.gov.my/v1/index. php?r=column/cone&menu_id=UjJoNk9OalhZ WlVHdExiaGF1OW13UT09. (Accessed August 2021).
- Malaysian Dental Council. Malaysian Dental Council Bulletin: COVID-19 Pandemic. Cyberjaya, Selangor. Malaysian Dental Council, 2020.
- Ministry of Health Malaysia. Managing COVID-19 in Malaysia: The Oral Health Programme Experience. Putrajaya. Oral Health Division, Ministry of Health Malaysia. 2020.
- Ministry of Health Malaysia. Standard Operating Procedure for Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO). 2021b. Available at: https://covid-19.moh. gov.my/faqsop/sop-perintah-kawalan-pergerakan-diperketatkan-pkpd-emco (Accessed August 2021).
- Mani SA, Mohd Nor NA, John J, Musa S: Malaysian dentists’ self-reported experience towards continuing clinical activity during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sains Malays. 2021;50:1485- 96
- Ministry of Health Malaysia. Oral Healthcare and COVID-19 in Malaysia 2020. 2021c. Available at: https://heyzine.com/flip-book/ee4bda785a.html (Accessed August 2021).
- Kevin YW, David TW, Thomas TN, Simon DT. COVID-19’s impact on private practice and academic dentistry in North America. Oral Dis. 2021;27(Suppl. 3):684–7
- Palmer H, Campbell-Jack D, Lillis J, Elsby A. The impact of COVID-19 on dental professionals: a report for General Dental Council. Birmingham: Ecorys UK. 2020.
- Government and institution measures in response to COVID-19: Malaysia. KPMG International 2020 April 1. Available at: https://home.kpmg/xx/ en/home/insights/2020/04/malaysia-government-and-institution-measures-in-response-to-covid. html. (Access August 2021).
- Private Dentists Complain Haven’t Gotten Covid-19 Vaccine. Code Blue 2021 April 5. Available at: https://codeblue.galencentre. org/2021/04/05/private-dentists-complain-havent-gotten-covid-19-vaccine/ (Accessed August 2021).
- Malaysian Dental Association. Private Dental Practitioners & staff listing for COVID-19 vaccination. 2021. Available at: https://mda. org.my/home/private-dental-practitioners-staff-listing-for-covid-19-vaccination/ (Accessed August 2021).
- Falk S, Joachim K, Jesus G. Impact of SARS-CoV2 (Covid-19) on dental practices: Economic analysis. J. Dent. 2020;99:1-6
Abdul Hamid, N., Jaafar, A., Mohamd Mahmod, N., & Raja Amir Hamzah, R. Financial Implication of COVID-19: A Story of Malaysian Dental Practitioner. J Dent Indones. 2021;28(3): 177-184