Management of Severe Dento-Alveolar Traumatic Injuries in a 9-Year old Boy: A Case Report
Dentoalveolar traumas can lead to various injuries that may result in tooth loss. A suitable treatment plan and appropriate interventions should be performed to maintain the dental function and aesthetics, especially for the anterior teeth. Objective: To report the interventions performed on dentoalveolar trauma on a 9-years old male patient who presented with gingival immersion of the right maxillary central incisor and missing a tooth due to a falling accident. Case Report: The patient had multiple traumatic injuries. The medical and dental history was taken, and the clinical and radiologic examinations were performed. The patient underwent surgical intervention and splinting to take the intruded tooth back into its normal place. Moreover, the teeth with lateral luxation underwent apexification and composite filling. Also, endodontic treatment was performed on the coronal segment of the tooth with root fractures. The patient underwent clinical and radiographic follow-up for 24 months to assure the treatment efficiency and prevent further complications. Conclusion: It was shown that the interventions performed could preserve the function and aesthetics of the patient’s teeth, which can directly impact his quality of life and emotional state in adolescence.
- Petti S, Glendor U, Andersson L. World traumatic dental injury prevalence and incidence, a meta-analysis-One billion living people have had traumatic dental injuries. Dent Traumatol. 2018;34(2):71–86.
- Purohit J, Kumar GJ, Datta A, Maiti S, Hinge A, Kapoor S, Tiwari RV. Recent advances & historical management in dentoalveolar fracture-A review. J Adv Med Dent Scie Res. 2020;8(1):129-36.
- Zaleckiene V, Peciuliene V, Brukiene V, Drukteinis S. Traumatic dental injuries: etiology, prevalence and possible outcomes. Stomatologija. 2014;16(1):7–14.
- Costa LA, Ribeiro CCC, Cantanhede LM, Santiago Júnior JF, de Mendonça MR, Pereira ALP. Treatments for intrusive luxation in permanent teeth: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;46(2):214-29.
- Soares Ditzel A, Tulio Manfron AP, Westphalen FH, da Silva Neto UX, KowalczuzkA, Carneiro E, et al. Management of multiple dental trauma: Case report with eight-year follow-up. Iran Endod J. 2018;13(3):410-12.
- Nogueira Alancer M, Trujillo Lopez AB, da Silva Neto UX, Kowalczuck A, Carneiro E, Ditzel Westphalen VP. Management of Dental Intrusion and Lateral Luxation: Case Report with 10 Years Follow-up. Iran Endod J. 2019;14(1): 93-5.
- Bourguignon C, Cohenca N, Lauridsen E, Flores MT, O’Connell AC, Day PF, et al. International Association of Dental Traumatology guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries: 1. Fractures and luxations. Dent Traumatol. 2020;36(4):314–30.
- Levin L, Day PF, Hicks L, O’Connell A, Fouad AF, Bourguignon C, et al. International Association of Dental Traumatology guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries: General introduction. Dent Traumatol. 2020;36(4):309–13.
- Braga R de A, Braga WDF, Girelli CFM, Lacerda MFL, Coelho RG, Junqueira RB. Intrusive dislocation in permanent teeth: Review of literature and clinical case report. Int J Odontostomatol. 2019;13(1):89-92.
- AlKhalifa JD, AlAzemi AA. Intrusive luxation of permanent teeth: a systematic review of factors important for treatment decision-making. Dent Traumatol. 2014;30(3):169-75.
- Alencar MN, Lopez ABT, da Silva Neto UX, Kowalczuck A, Carneiro E, Westphalen VPD. Management of dental intrusion and lateral luxation: Case report with 10 years follow-up. Iran Endod J. 2019;14(1):93-5.
- Belevcikli M, Altan A, Altan H. Surgical extrusion of anterior teeth with intrusion traumatic injury: A report of two cases. Eur Endod J. 2020;5(3):295-9.
- Clark D, Levin L. Prognosis and complications of immature teeth following lateral luxation: A systematic review. Dent Traumatol. 2018;34(4):215- 20.
- Clark D, Levin L. Prognosis and complications of mature teeth after lateral luxation: A systematic review. J Am Dent Assoc. 2019;150(8):649–55.
- Fouad AF, Abbott PV, Tsilingaridis G, Cohenca N, Lauridsen E, Bourguignon C, et al. International Association of Dental Traumatology guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries: 2. Avulsion of permanent teeth. Dent Traumatol. 2020;36(4):331–42.
Mousavi, E., Khoshdel, M., & Sharifiyan, H. Management of Severe Dento-Alveolar Traumatic Injuries in a 9-Year old Boy: A Case Report. J Dent Indones. 2021;28(3): 192-197
Dental Hygiene Commons, Dental Materials Commons, Endodontics and Endodontology Commons, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Commons, Pediatric Dentistry and Pedodontics Commons, Periodontics and Periodontology Commons